ADVERTISEMENT

Good Read on Utep in Big 12

Thanks for posting. It is a excellent intellectual analysis - convincing facts about why Rice and UTEP belong in the Big 12. I never paid much attention to such a move because I thought it was just a "pie in the sky" type of thing. On reading this article carefully, it makes a whole lot of sense - politically and economically. Now I have a strong feeling this move could actually happen. The writer of this article has done extensive research on this subject matter. Very impressive. Now I believe this move is highly possible. Your thoughts?

It is just wishful thinking that they let us in but it would be great for us. UTEP has played Texas at home in 2008, Oklahoma in 2012, and Texas Tech last year and had great crowds. In state conference games would be a no brainer for UTEP as well as the other Texas schools. It would be easy for Big 12 schools in the region to travel to El Paso. And UTEP does seem to travel well inside Texas. It'd be great for us to improve our attendance numbers and easy travel for Big 12 fans. A win win for all. But it's all pie in the sky right now.

You must have just been hired to be commissioner of the Big 12 to make such a direct statement. Your better at putting up polls for firing or keeping Tim Floyd - just stick to that baloney.

Originally posted by sweetlou#1:

You must have just been hired to be commissioner of the Big 12 to make such a direct statement. Your better at putting up polls for firing or keeping Tim Floyd - just stick to that baloney.
He might not be the commissioner, but he knows what he's talking about and is being realistic. Tell you what, if UTEP joins the Big 12 with Texas, OU, etc. I'll fly you down for the first conference game.

All of us will be there along with Tinker Bell and all the leprechans in Ireland.

This web site has been up for a long time and is someone's wishful thinking along with the best rationalization they can come up with. It would be great but I'm not holding my breath.

Maybe after UTEP wins several access bowls in a row and sells out the Sun Bowl for every game year in and year out.

This post was edited on 3/20 3:03 PM by MinerInWisconsin

I'm with MinerinWisconsin on this. It's a nice thought while I'm eating hot wings and pondering the economic model of the third world in conjunction with the interpretation of the Church of Scientology dogma as it relates to the Dung beetle in the early colonial colonies.

I posted this link earlier. I think it's a great argument and has real thought and numbers behind it.

It's a shame that something this well thought out isn't coming from El Paso or the University directly. You'd think UTEP donors would be smart businessmen and would have a marketing push like this with money behind it (instead of what appears to be a one man show).

I'd be shocked if this happened. First of all, Rice doesn't "deliver" the Houston market -- Texas and A&M already own it with their huge alumni bases there. As for UTEP, the Big 12 teams don't consider El Paso to be an important market or recruiting area.

Originally posted by Seasonticketholder:
I'd be shocked if this happened. First of all, Rice doesn't "deliver" the Houston market -- Texas and A&M already own it with their huge alumni bases there. As for UTEP, the Big 12 teams don't consider El Paso to be an important market or recruiting area.
After A&M moved to SEC they have dominated the Houston area in terms of recruiting. Im sure the whorns would like to get a foothold and try to regain some of Houston. However, I dont think Rice would be the top choice if another Texas school gets in it will be Houston.

STCarlosEP posted on 3/20/2015...

He might not be the commissioner, but he knows what he's talking about and is being realistic. Tell you what, if UTEP joins the Big 12 with Texas, OU, etc. I'll fly you down for the first conference game.
=========================================================================================
Shouldn't you have wrote "I" not "he" , since you are one in the same. Why don't you try to change it up and just once disagree with Chi (yourself) and that would confuse maybe a few people. Because you two back each other just like Music and Chunks use to do. Things that make you go Hmmmmmm.

GO MINERS

Originally posted by winstoneptx:

STCarlosEP posted on 3/20/2015...

=========================================================================================
Shouldn't you have wrote "I" not "he" , since you are one in the same. Why don't you try to change it up and just once disagree with Chi (yourself) and that would confuse maybe a few people. Because you two back each other just like Music and Chunks use to do. Things that make you go Hmmmmmm.

GO MINERS
lol We disagreed many times already.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT