ADVERTISEMENT

On to the CBI?

nattybry

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 7, 2003
Still not happy that the tables were turned on us last night. W. Kentucky and the Refs unfortunately knocked us out from a chance at hearing our names called on Sunday... Kinda. The CBI I believe is a $27,500 buy in + invitation. Do most of you think we should play in this if invited. I'm on the fence honestly. I'd say I'd only want us to participate if the team plans to stay together for next year and if they commit to really trying to win it.

Any time you can play in a post season tournament and pad your resume I think you take it. Golding and UTEP can then say they’re on the right track in terms of building this program. Personally, I get the CBI isn’t what we wanted but I bet fans would turn up especially after the run they had in the conference tournament.

Last edited:
Team/business decision. I say run your numbers. If I was a La Tech or MAAC team who had a strong season but snubbed, I say yes.

I like Golding but totally disagree with him, the fans are splintered so they may not show? You need to sell butts in seats and sell at the concession stand. With the portal the “building for next year” is kind of moot.

Reactions: bamfor
I have not really looked into been super busy but what do we have coming in recruit wise any hope?

I say no. I don’t think we could sell enough seats to recoup the money. (And I don’t believe we are in a position to force home games).
IF !!!!!! This group stays together I don’t think they would benefit from the experience.
I think Golding needs to find a recruiter, a coach who understands offense, and take an internal look at his game coaching? A one and gone in a sub par tournament is not going to help, and who here really believes that Golding can coach beyond that game?
All that said, if invited and the players ( not the coaches) want to put in the work to win it - go ahead. But they must be all in. I don’t see it with this group.

Get that $27,500 buy in money they would pay to the CBI and give it to the football staff as a little bonus for their amazing efforts so far. Let’s just end this crappy season with us losing to WKU in the CUSA Championship game, not losing to Southern Idaho State in the first round of the CBI. Playing against CUSA level competition in a tournament won’t benefit us.

But UTEP will be UTEP and they will play in the CBI and brag about how Golding has made the CBI in 2 of his 3 years here.

Last edited:
I get everyone not wanting to see UTEP play in the CBI, but I don’t see Senter or Golding turning down the opportunity. I’m sure in their minds, they feel they got a lot of positive exposure this last week and if they can host a game they may bring in a good crowd.

UTEP basketball is also in a position where they can’t stick their noses up at a post season tournament, no matter how weak it is. We’ve been on such a bad run of form these last couple of years we can’t act like we’re too good for anything. Our confidence is so low, maybe we need to tag a fatty to get our mojo back.

I think Fedup said it best. We’d be playing CUSA level talent. What is there to gain from that at this point? Barring a run all the way through the tourney, which I don’t think this team has it in them, it would end up being a momentum killer losing to the likes of a Utah Valley, rather than a momentum builder.

I get everyone not wanting to see UTEP play in the CBI, but I don’t see Senter or Golding turning down the opportunity. I’m sure in their minds, they feel they got a lot of positive exposure this last week and if they can host a game they may bring in a good crowd.

UTEP basketball is also in a position where they can’t stick their noses up at a post season tournament, no matter how weak it is. We’ve been on such a bad run of form these last couple of years we can’t act like we’re too good for anything. Our confidence is so low, maybe we need to tag a fatty to get our mojo back.
I don't think that we're sticking our noses in the air by saying no to the CBI. I think most of us have a practical reason for saying no.

It's a hard pass for me. Focus on keeping the kids and getting new ones. Not spending money on a garbage tournament. Yes, I still believe we are above it.

Reactions: FedupMiner
Are the players hungry for another shot at more W's? If they want it, go for it. Not coaches, administrators or even fans. If they are not all in to take it as far as they can, then all the coaching in the world or all the cheering in the world isn't going to help. Likewise, if they are all in, then mediocre coaching and poor cheering isn't going to hurt. It's got to be up to the team.

When you’re part of a program that is consistently ranked 170-250, the CBI is the only postseason tournament that’s going to be interested in you. I would play in it.

Reactions: Rocketsr

CBI is a matter of budget.

Ol’ Miss snubbing NIT may not be the best decision. The NIT is a tourney “you play thru” with what you got. Snubbing NIT needs to go back and reward the “conference champs not invited” if Beard and others will continue to do this given NIT’s change. Beard made a mistake IMO but if they get a NCAA invite, then it’s all moot.

This comment is relevant today stated in 1998:

“ Georgia Coach Ron Jirsa had no complaints. ''People say, 'Would you be excited to be in the N.I.T.?' '' he said. ''In December and January, we lost six straight games. You're darn right we're excited.''”-https://www.nytimes.com/1998/03/24/sports/1998-ncaa-tournament-nit-to-coaches-this-final-four-also-counts-as-a-reward.html

If CG says yes, then ok, go for it! It’s about the players when the sun comes up (morale) and the fans when it goes down (money).

Memories when Joe Muench used to write about UTEP athletics for the El Paso Times.

CBI is a matter of budget.

Ol’ Miss snubbing NIT may not be the best decision. The NIT is a tourney “you play thru” with what you got. Snubbing NIT needs to go back and reward the “conference champs not invited” if Beard and others will continue to do this given NIT’s change. Beard made a mistake IMO but if they get a NCAA invite, then it’s all moot.

This comment is relevant today stated in 1998:

“ Georgia Coach Ron Jirsa had no complaints. ''People say, 'Would you be excited to be in the N.I.T.?' '' he said. ''In December and January, we lost six straight games. You're darn right we're excited.''”-https://www.nytimes.com/1998/03/24/sports/1998-ncaa-tournament-nit-to-coaches-this-final-four-also-counts-as-a-reward.html

If CG says yes, then ok, go for it! It’s about the players when the sun comes up (morale) and the fans when it goes down (money).
Not accepting an NIT bid is common for P5 programs. They would rather get on with recruiting than play in a pointless tournament and rightfully so. That should be our stance on CBI.

A CUSA team has made the final 3 out of the last 5 tournaments and won two of those. But none of those 3 teams that made the final did anything special the following year. It’s just a money grab and a chance to see our team beat a few more shitty teams or lose to one. Idc. I’ll watch it if we play and also content with the season ending.

No. It's just another chance to lose to an even shittier team than WKU. Losing in the conference tournament championship game at least carries a little weight within the conference. Losing to Sisters of the Poor Southwestern is nothing more than an embarrassment that only hurts the program.

Last edited:
Teams are declining NIT Invites.

Since more and more football players are electing to skip bowl games I wonder if basketball players are electing to finish the season instead of playing in lesser tournaments. Plus given the high turnover rate with programs I bet coaches would rather get a jump on recruiting instead of playing games as well.

Reactions: FedupMiner
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT