ADVERTISEMENT

Goodbye, Dimel

That’s a good post.

My biggest problem in firing Dimel is what is the University going to do to help out the next coach. Dimel mentioned a need for NIL money.

Dimel wasn’t a train wreck. You cannot judge him by his overall record because of what he inherited. No one would have done anything with the team he had.

He will be remembered for a terrible record. But keep in perspective he took over the worst job in College football.

Whoever is announced as his successor will not be taking over the worst job in college football. So that’s something

Not an excuse. It is fact that UTEP was the worst program in College football. They were 0-12, lost every game but 1 by double digits. Never scored more than 3 TDs in a game.

Dimel came in and Redshirted his first class and ran it back with Kuglers team and went 1-11.

I’m not defending Dimel, but just pointing out the data for his overall record is skewed.
I agree with some of the above, kickball. When Dimel took over the team was a complete train wreck, and unlike the situation when Kill took over, the transfer portal was not what it is today and the NIL hadn't come to be yet. So yeah, we should throw out Dimel's first couple of seasons when considering his record at UTEP. I also believe that Dimel's last three teams had more overall talent than Kugler's teams

I think that most everyone here should agree that Dimel peaked his fourth season at UTEP. Going 7-6 that year and making a bowl game after what he started with gave some hope that despite his shortcomings he might actually have UTEP moving in the right direction. Going 5-7 and 3-9 since, however, has us going in the wrong direction. Seeing Kill, a brilliant hire, moving NMSU to new heights while we regress is hard to swallow. If Senter doesn't fire Dimel tomorrow the he's even a bigger idiot than we all think he is.

When Dimel took over the team was a complete train wreck. So yeah, we should throw out Dimel's first couple of seasons when considering his record at UTEP. I also believe that Dimel's last three teams had more overall talent than Kugler's teams

I don't like excuses. Never have. Never will.

Kugler and Dimel were awful hires. Some of you will keep coming up with excuses to make their tenures look better.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
I don't like excuses. Never have. Never will.

Kugler and Dimel were awful hires. Some of you will keep coming up with excuses to make their tenures look better.
Who's making any excuses? Kugler was a horrible hire. Hiring a position coach for a head coaching job was a ridiculous and stupid gamble, one that failed miserably. Dimel was an awful hire. Hiring a coach that did so poorly at his previous stop (Houston) was also a ridiculous and stupid gamble, and it has failed miserably. NO ONE IS SAYING THAT DIMEL SHOULDNT BE FIRED. All that was said is that Dimel's overall record isn't a fair reflection of his tenure here, as he took over a dumpster fire. I said that his team's decline in the last two seasons is inexcusable, as it is a fair reflection of his tenure, and that he should not have a job by the end of tomorrow. If that's defending Dimel then I certainly hope that no one ever comes to my defense in a similar manner.

“What he inherited”? Price gave some kudos to Nord for some great players but did state some are not a fit. Kugler went full insult and call Price a “Dumpster Fire”. Dimel said from day one he needed to rebuild and also reference to “what he inherited”? He brought in his own and his son and got slobber knocked by NAU. UTEP got an all American JUCO qb that had legs but a horrible arm. He brought in traveling assistants and a RPO that opponents to this day can defend. To make things worse, Covid hit. He kept the team healthy but couldn’t even get bowl eligible under those striped down requirements. Remember UNT win and in Covid game? His best was 6 games then blew the second half of season but did give an “Atta Boy!” effort against Fresno State for the bowl game that Senter hand delivered an extended contract. It’s gone downhill since.

Year two was a totally decimated team. This team had injuries but not like year two. Hardison didn’t get better. Hankins sat and sat and when he did play, he got immediately injured or played sparingly. It got so bad family aired it out on social media. Two years ago he scored LB Knight. A North Star under fading conditions. He scored one major upset against BSU. Senter thank gawd did not draw up new papers….whew! Got LT offer our back for one year. Hardison got OU Boomer Sooner fan attention but has shown no improvement since as he blows games with INT’s to seal wins for opponents. He survived embarrassing by barely holding on against a new kid named Pavia who plays with a chip on his shoulder under a coach who has major heart problems brought in by a renegade A.D. who told women’s equestrian sports to take a hike (under a budgetary line item) at a land grant college no less.

Senter still unmoved and President Wilson says as long as there is a “50/50 chance”. A comment she dare wouldn’t say to any other general, POTUS, FOXNews, CNN, MSNBC or congressional person when she was top Air Force brass but will tell it to Miner athletic supporters!

Year six and fans once again buy the hype. I bought it. UTEP is freaking loaded and has depth. JAX State and fans are pumped. Same offense, same qb and same results. He lied. Dimel f’en lied and didn’t work with Hardison like he claimed. It got worse. Players got mystery injuries. Miner top wr is out?! Fans had questions but Dimel n staff weren’t clarifying. Very, very unprofessional and Senter is not talking. Local media afraid to pursue. UIW comes in like a hot knife to butter passing game. Luckily their defensive front line sucked. All rb’s feasted. Then Dimel loses 4 straight in Dimel fashion. We got to beat NW, right? Nope. By the time struggling LT came around fans had enough. NMSU win sealed history and UTEP got a vinegar filled taste of what the shoe felt like on the other foot. NMSU in the title game when most had Liberty, UTEP or WKU jockeying for the title?!

Now please, how has Dimel inherited a mess? He is a hot mess.

Who's making any excuses?

There are a number of excuses in this thread and it's funny to read.

"When Dimel took over the team was a complete train wreck. So yeah, we should throw out Dimel's first couple of seasons when considering his record at UTEP."

"All that was said is that Dimel's overall record isn't a fair reflection of his tenure here, as he took over a dumpster fire"

"UTEP's schedule ended up noticeably stronger than expected"

"Plus, the Miners did have more than the usual number of injuries."

"We should thank him for improving the team a great deal from the train wreck that was Kugler's tenure."

"Dimel wasn’t a train wreck. You cannot judge him by his overall record because of what he inherited."

• Haha
Reactions: MINER.JAY
Well Danny Gonzales is now available and since he won more games than Dismel he is the obvious choice! No Aggie fan subverting the hiring process here.

Jokes aside, UTEP needs a stellar hire. The game for the championship should not be a move up FCS team but NMSU vs UTEP as nature intended.

There are a number of excuses in this thread and it's funny to read.

"When Dimel took over the team was a complete train wreck. So yeah, we should throw out Dimel's first couple of seasons when considering his record at UTEP."

"All that was said is that Dimel's overall record isn't a fair reflection of his tenure here, as he took over a dumpster fire"

"UTEP's schedule ended up noticeably stronger than expected"

"Plus, the Miners did have more than the usual number of injuries."

"We should thank him for improving the team a great deal from the train wreck that was Kugler's tenure."

"Dimel wasn’t a train wreck. You cannot judge him by his overall record because of what he inherited."
BS. He knew what he was coming into and said he could fix it . He didn’t. If a company hires a COO and he doesn’t fix that company he’s gone. They are not going to say the first two years you lost millions but we are not going to count that.,You’re hired to fix the damn problem. He couldn’t and never will be.

BS. He knew what he was coming into and said he could fix it . He didn’t. If a company hires a COO and he doesn’t fix that company he’s gone. They are not going to say the first two years you lost millions but we are not going to count that.,You’re hired to fix the damn problem. He couldn’t and never will be.

💯 Exactly

If a company is losing 10 million a year and the next guy cleans up the books and they lose 5 million and the next year 4 million and the next year they break even. The company is on the right track and chances are the board wants to see where it’s going. They’re not going to say, you still suck cause you’ve never turned a profit.

Now when that company goes back into the red, they will tell that COO, we appreciate you getting us in a better position, but our shareholders want to see us turn a profit and that COO will be fired.

That’s a good post.

My biggest problem in firing Dimel is what is the University going to do to help out the next coach. Dimel mentioned a need for NIL money.

Dimel wasn’t a train wreck. You cannot judge him by his overall record because of what he inherited. No one would have done anything with the team he had.

He will be remembered for a terrible record. But keep in perspective he took over the worst job in College football.

Whoever is announced as his successor will not be taking over the worst job in college football. So that’s something
When it comes to NIL money that comes down to the boosters and not the university.

I’ll give Dimel some credit because he inherited an awful program and he ate those losses his first couple of years. BUT, he wanted to ride with Hardison for years, he wants to run his offense, so he deserves what he gets when we win 3 games.

Last year Dimel under performed with a team that was supposed to easily get to 6+ wins, this year the same thing and it was bleak even before the injury bug hit. Sale your snake oil somewhere else Dimel. Thanks I guess and good bye 👋
Yup. And during Covid where the rules were watered down he just had to beat a not so great UNT team (that was solid the year prior) and blew that, too.

When it comes to NIL money that comes down to the boosters and not the university.

I’ll give Dimel some credit because he inherited an awful program and he ate those losses his first couple of years. BUT, he wanted to ride with Hardison for years, he wants to run his offense, so he deserves what he gets when we win 3 games.
Speaking of which, did anyone ever determine why he and Smith didn’t play ? Hardiston was at least always dressed and supporting his team

Reactions: picks up
I've mentioned UTEP's opponents being better than expected. I've mentioned the injuries. They are not what he should be let go for. Our athletes are better overall than Kugler's. One plus out of all the negatives. The plain fact is that Dimel's coaching style on the field and in the meeting rooms have the team stagnating. We're not getting any better from the coaching standpoint. Jerry Kill is killing it at NMSU. We can't afford to keep stagnating when other teams in the conference are improving. If Senter can't come up with the money and the donors to buy Dimel out and to improve the NIL fund, he needs to be let go too. We might as well shut the Athletic Department down if the administration can't work up the energy to do anything about it.

Liberty F’n University, the pool boy flames are more about the culture than UTEP.

Jerry Kill rockin’ the hell out of some southwest ponchos like a badass is more about the culture than UTEP.

Los Mineros and 915 things would’ve been great had we not been half a decade behind the curve from utilizing those campaigns.

Where is the culture under Senter and Dimel? Do we still do the pick axe thing from the Price days or did that die out like the Amen chant?
Well said

Reactions: FarWestTexas
A question, if we are going to acknowledge the fact we had a lot of injuries this year, why aren't we pointing out the fact that in year 6 we should have decent backups ready to step up? For Pete's sake, Dimel KNEW Hardison was in his last year and has no one ready to play?

If this clown isn't fired, I'm done....

We had 3 games of less than 10,500 fans, I imagine how crappy the crowds are gonna be next year if Dimel returns?

If Senter and Wilson fired Dimel and hired someone who can coach and energize the fan base maybe they wouldn’t have to kill themselves to try and get a good crowd at the stadium.

Reactions: EPUTEP
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT