ADVERTISEMENT

Grad Transfer Big Men

nattybry

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 7, 2003
Terry has done a great job bringing in young talent for the upcoming year and building for the following years. Still holding out hope for 1 or 2 ex Fresno St. Players, but that's yet to be determined. Meanwhile it'd be great to see Terry pick up a Grad Transfer Big Man for this year. There aren't many left, but there are some. I hope Terry is looking at these guys to come in and help in the paint immediately!

Abdul Lewis NJIT- teammate of Anthony Tarke averaged 12ppg and almost 9 boards. 6-9 player that can help us alot and would probably start.

Tory Miller Smith Colorado- some injury problems, but when healthy was a decent big man avg. 6ppg and almost 5 boards and could help at 6-10 even coming off the bench

Malik Hines Umass- Probably a long shot, but would be an instant starter and allow Eze to not have so much pressure as a Freshman. 6-10 9ppg and 6rpg

Reactions: minermx07
So you dont think Paul Thomas is a starter?
I don't see the Correlation to Paul Thomas Starting or not starting? Please explain where this post about us needing a Big Man Tansfer implies that there wouldn't be a starting spot for Paul Thomas???

It's a process. I 'm er excited for what Terry has done but realistic also. I don't think think the team will compete for a tourney berth until year three. The basketball program has a tougher rebuild than football because we play in a one bid league. Terry will get it done but I don't expect tourney contention until yr. three.

Reactions: El Paso 1
It's a process. I 'm er excited for what Terry has done but realistic also. I don't think think the team will compete for a tourney berth until year three. The basketball program has a tougher rebuild than football because we play in a one bid league. Terry will get it done but I don't expect tourney contention until yr. three.
Basketball is not the same turn around as football. One or two years can make a huge difference see what Gillespie was able to do. If Terry continues as he has shown and we get Bryson Williams for 2019, I'd say year 2 could be a Conf challenging squad. Gilyard, Osborne, Tarke, Williams and Eze would be a pretty legit starting 5! Right now though there's excitement for the future, but still alot of pieces needed.

I don't see the Correlation to Paul Thomas Starting or not starting? Please explain where this post about us needing a Big Man Tansfer implies that there wouldn't be a starting spot for Paul Thomas???

Because Paul Thomas is one of our Bigs . He plays PF and SF.

Reactions: minerdefense
Basketball is not the same turn around as football. One or two years can make a huge difference see what Gillespie was able to do. If Terry continues as he has shown and we get Bryson Williams for 2019, I'd say year 2 could be a Conf challenging squad. Gilyard, Osborne, Tarke, Williams and Eze would be a pretty legit starting 5! Right now though there's excitement for the future, but still alot of pieces needed.

You see here you already benching Paul Thomas. You dont think he is starting material. ( oops i didnt see where you said in year 2 ). But in your descrption in grad transfers you said some of them would start right away.

I think starters for sure are

PG Gilyard
SG Hawkins or Kobe
Sf ? Osborne
PF Paul Thomas
C Id start Mr Canada right away

Last edited:
What confuses me is that none of you mention Efe Odigie. Why? With his size and strength he should be a major contributor.

Reactions: mikesarabia
I think Efe just didn't draw as much glitter as the other guys. I think he will be a major player soon. I'm willing to bet ALL the new kids will get plenty of action.
I think most on here brush Kobe off to the side too quickly. He's better than been given credit. Just watch....

Maybe I didn't explain clearly, my apologies. I'm not benching Paul Thomas at all. If we were to get a Grad Transfer Big man the quality of Abdul Lewis or Malik Hines with D1 proven ability, they would start over Eze and Efe or start with Eze and Paul Thomas along with Gilyard and Osborne. I don't see why what I posted implied Paul Thomas wouldn't start in any of those scenarios? I'm excited about Eze and think he's gonna be Huge for us immediately and if we don't get another experienced proven D1 Transfer then its all on him and Efe. However they're still Freshman and many of you are forgetting that. There will be growing pains, so if we got a D1 Proven Monster down low, would that not be a plus?

I think Efe just didn't draw as much glitter as the other guys. I think he will be a major player soon. I'm willing to bet ALL the new kids will get plenty of action.
I think most on here brush Kobe off to the side too quickly. He's better than been given credit. Just watch....
I didn't mention Kobe cause he's not a Big Man. Hell be a very important player and back up for Gilyard.

Terry has done a great job bringing in young talent for the upcoming year and building for the following years. Still holding out hope for 1 or 2 ex Fresno St. Players, but that's yet to be determined. Meanwhile it'd be great to see Terry pick up a Grad Transfer Big Man for this year. There aren't many left, but there are some. I hope Terry is looking at these guys to come in and help in the paint immediately!

Abdul Lewis NJIT- teammate of Anthony Tarke averaged 12ppg and almost 9 boards. 6-9 player that can help us alot and would probably start.

Tory Miller Smith Colorado- some injury problems, but when healthy was a decent big man avg. 6ppg and almost 5 boards and could help at 6-10 even coming off the bench

Malik Hines Umass- Probably a long shot, but would be an instant starter and allow Eze to not have so much pressure as a Freshman. 6-10 9ppg and 6rpg
Nice info Nattybry. I'm right there with you on this one. A grad transfer big is just what the doctor ordered for this year. I think Lewis or Hines would be perfect.

I know he's not a grad transfer, but if we don't land Bryson Williams then this kid looks good too. Its only for one year though and I would expect him to be looked at by the ACC or PAC 12.

http://cornellbigred.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=43962&path=mbball

Last edited:
We need another big man. Many things can happened foul
trouble, injuries, get thrown out the game and/or give the
starters a break. I would prefer someone with D1 experience.
Next year Coach Terry can bring a big freshman.

GO Miners...
True. BG went juco to rebuild. Some of them were not top shelf D1 talent but their energy and enthusiasm along with BG high energy style provided a catalyst for his plans.

In a power conference a basketball turnaround can be very quick. In a mid/low level league like we are in turnarounds are much harder. It's a one bid league the regular season is meaningless. In today's NCAA billy's team in 2004 would have missed the NCAA tournament because they didn't win the conference tourney. While I have no doubt Terry will improve the teams play, becoming even a semi-regular tournament participant will be very tough because of the reality of being in a one bid league.Thats why the hoops rebuild will be harder than the football rebuild.

In a power conference a basketball turnaround can be very quick. In a mid/low level league like we are in turnarounds are much harder. It's a one bid league the regular season is meaningless. In today's NCAA billy's team in 2004 would have missed the NCAA tournament because they didn't win the conference tourney. While I have no doubt Terry will improve the teams play, becoming even a semi-regular tournament participant will be very tough because of the reality of being in a one bid league.Thats why the hoops rebuild will be harder than the football rebuild.

I agree, while I am excited given the talent that is coming in we have to be realistic and admit that all of these recruits are not going to hit, especially in their freshmen year. This team will improve, I believe that. But I am not ready to call any of these kids “the next big thing” just because we have to see how they fare against Division 1 talent, and over the course of a long season. Longer than any high school season, along with a tougher travel schedule. That’s why I think this team needs to get a couple of JUCO recruits.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Yup, that's what I'm saying. That's why I hope we get a D1 Xfr or Juco Big man. These Freshman will be good, but we are putting all our marbles in an unproven bag! Idk if Terry is even looking at any of these guys, by they're out there available so thought I'd share!

Reactions: Lil_Train
I agree, while I am excited given the talent that is coming in we have to be realistic and admit that all of these recruits are not going to hit, especially in their freshmen year. This team will improve, I believe that. But I am not ready to call any of these kids “the next big thing” just because we have to see how they fare against Division 1 talent, and over the course of a long season. Longer than any high school season, along with a tougher travel schedule. That’s why I think this team needs to get a couple of JUCO recruits.
Very true. Wonder if CRT knows that Miner fans are a bit spolied? He's keeping his cards close and his friendly smile is a good poker face.:p

Solid point. Wish it were not true, but this is UTEP's reality.

But at the same time it usually comes down to maybe 6 teams that have a realistic chance of winning the autobid. This coming year it looks to be Marshall, WKU, UAB, ODU, UNT, and UTSA in the conversation.

Yes it’s a tough situation to be in but most of the time winning three games in a row isn’t that impossible to accomplish in this league. Sometimes the ball bounces your way and you get lucky. For example this past season Marshall only had to beat one good team in the CUSA tournament to get the autobid. UTSA was missing a key player to injury and got blown away. USM did them a favor by knocking out MTSU. And it came down to WKU vs Marshall.

Yea we are in a one bid league but this isn’t the old WAC of the 80s or even the CUSA of the late 2000’s. We are talking about a league that in its current format has finished with an average rating of 19/32.

So if Terry is going to have a difficult and long process to rebuild this team then he might not be the right coach for the job.

But I personally think he is the right candidate and will have this team competing for a top four finish as soon as the 2019-2020 season

But at the same time it usually comes down to maybe 6 teams that have a realistic chance of winning the autobid. This coming year it looks to be Marshall, WKU, UAB, ODU, UNT, and UTSA in the conversation.

Yes it’s a tough situation to be in but most of the time winning three games in a row isn’t that impossible to accomplish in this league. Sometimes the ball bounces your way and you get lucky. For example this past season Marshall only had to beat one good team in the CUSA tournament to get the autobid. UTSA was missing a key player to injury and got blown away. USM did them a favor by knocking out MTSU. And it came down to WKU vs Marshall.

Yea we are in a one bid league but this isn’t the old WAC of the 80s or even the CUSA of the late 2000’s. We are talking about a league that in its current format has finished with an average rating of 19/32.

So if Terry is going to have a difficult and long process to rebuild this team then he might not be the right coach for the job.

But I personally think he is the right candidate and will have this team competing for a top four finish as soon as the 2019-2020 season
It is written ... may it be so.

The whole league needs to step up and win the ooc games. If CUSA wants to get back to the good old days, the whole league has to step up. That can be hard to do when UTEP outdraws most of the conference in attendance even with a poor record. The NCAA selection committee isn't going to watch us if we can't get our own fans to watch us.

Reactions: LoUTEPMiner
The whole league needs to step up and win the ooc games. If CUSA wants to get back to the good old days, the whole league has to step up. That can be hard to do when UTEP outdraws most of the conference in attendance even with a poor record. The NCAA selection committee isn't going to watch us if we can't get our own fans to watch us.

What he said...

It the WHOLE conference starts scheduling up, and start winning some games, then we might become a multi team bid league. The problem is a couple schools schedule up, but then lose in conference to teams that have no signature wins.

Best case scenario...get the hell out of this conference. :)

What he said...

It the WHOLE conference starts scheduling up, and start winning some games, then we might become a multi team bid league. The problem is a couple schools schedule up, but then lose in conference to teams that have no signature wins.

Pretty rich from a fan of a team that won 6 conference games last season, finished 12th, lost to the likes of Lamar & App St too.

Reactions: El Paso 1
What he said...

I would rather be in the MWC because of the geography, the teams and the recruiting. Unfortunately the MWC is turning into a one bid league as well. Mid-major leagues just don't have the money or the pull of the POWER-5 leagues. Big time players and coaches either leave early, transfer up or go pro. Its rare that a big time player goes directly to a mid-major from high school either. Even Gonzaga (who recruits well) has to rely on transfers practically every year. I think the key is having a coach that can get things rolling and then stays an extended period of time. If Terry can recruit and turns this ship around, we have to keep him for a while. UTEP is capable of becoming something big! We can dominate CUSA on a regular basis.

College athletics has turned into a machine that favors the powerful. Just look at football, UCF deserves to be in the playoff, and because they were not invited they are not considered national champs even though they finished undefeated. I doubt we will see another team a la BYU that can win a championship from a smaller conference and even that was 30 plus years ago.

And the unfortunate thing is that everyone once in a while there will be upsets but smaller schools are not given the opportunity.

I doubt we will see another team a la BYU that can win a championship from a smaller conference and even that was 30 plus years ago.

And the unfortunate thing is that everyone once in a while there will be upsets but smaller schools are not given the opportunity.

Boise State got the opportunity when they were in the WAC and were ranked as high as #3.

Boise State got the opportunity when they were in the WAC and were ranked as high as #3.

But even then, that year they beat Oklahoma they still didn’t win the title. What does a Mid Major team have to do to win the title?

But even then, that year they beat Oklahoma they still didn’t win the title. What does a Mid Major team have to do to win the title?

In 2010 they had a chance and they were ranked as high as #2. They were #3 when they lost to Nevada at the end of the season. If Auburn or Oregon had lost a game that season and Boise State was undefeated they would have gotten in the BCS Championship Game.

What mid-majors have to do is win against ranked teams, go undefeated, and hope the power teams aren't strong that year.

Hurricane Irma really hurt UCF. They were scheduled to host Georgia Tech. Had that game gone through they would have had two wins over P5 teams and two wins over ranked teams. Maybe it would have been enough to get them into CFP. Probably not.

But look at UCF this year. They were the only undefeated team in college football. They beat Auburn and Memphis and So. Florida who were also ranked at the time. And even after all that they ended up ranked 6th and 7th in the polls.

But look at UCF this year. They were the only undefeated team in college football. They beat Auburn and Memphis and So. Florida who were also ranked at the time. And even after all that they ended up ranked 6th and 7th in the polls.

Then they just have to continue winning. That's what Boise State did. They were a remarkable mid-major team for a number of years. UCF has a poor non-conference schedule this year. UCF has to win all their games and hope for the big teams to lose.

I agree they need to keep winning. But football really is the only sport where you have to build up a tradition over years to be considered for a national title. Shouldn’t every year be judged solely based on their own merits?

I agree they need to keep winning. But football really is the only sport where you have to build up a tradition over years to be considered for a national title. Shouldn’t every year be judged solely based on their own merits?

Every year should be judged solely based on their own merits and I believe the CFP committee says they strive to do that.

This is why college basketball basketball is more exciting because any team any year can win the National Championship.

Every year should be judged solely based on their own merits and I believe the CFP committee says they strive to do that.

This is why college basketball basketball is more exciting because any team any year can win the National Championship.

Yes. But they also stack the deck against mid majors as well. It’s why C-USA and every other conference gets 1 bid and even then they’re low seeds as well. Smaller teams need nothing short of a miracle to win a championship. Where as high school athletics for example, it seems more impartial to seeding and bids. El Paso teams aren’t being paired up with powerhouse clubs out of the gate because they are prestigious enough, for example.

Of course UTEP is included in the whole conference stepping up statement. The attendance rag was more directed to some of the other schools. Middle Tennessee won NCAA tournament games two years in a row but couldn't draw what UTEP with its' sad record did.
Players notice half empty arenas game after game and transfer to schools that will bring them more visibility. Coaches notice this too. That's one reason we got Terry away from Fresno State.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT