ADVERTISEMENT

Haskins Center Half Sold for NMSU Game

Just about all the $18 tickets are sold out. It will be interesting to see if people would be willing to pay $30 for a ticket.

Just about all the $18 tickets are sold out. It will be interesting to see if people would be willing to pay $30 for a ticket.
Just about all the $18 and $36 tickets have been sold. Yes, most tickets remaining are $30. But it's vs. NMSU, I'm sure UNM will be close to 10,000 sold as well. The Question is can El Paso have similar numbers against the CUSA schedule?

Down to under 2700 left... So over 9k for sure... Hopefully it's a good walk up crowd. Either way its going to be nice to see the Don rocking! Even if I am so far away... Cusa.tv has the game, it's 6.95 for 24 hrs. or monthly is 10.99. I do monthly it's worth it...

The scanners were not working at the DHC for the students. They were sent to the ticket center.

There was a big walkup crowd. Still in line when the game was starting. Of course the crowds will get bigger now.

I think the crowd could have been larger but UTEP was being UTEP from what I hear. People having issues finding free parking, ticket center being slow, scanners not scanning student ID's. For whatever reason, El Pasoans hate online ticket convenience fees and paying for parking.

I still say eliminate 2 student sections and create a GA for the fan base. Students have shown for 2 decades that cant fill 2 sections let alone 5.

I think the crowd could have been larger but UTEP was being UTEP from what I hear. People having issues finding free parking, ticket center being slow, scanners not scanning student ID's. For whatever reason, El Pasoans hate online ticket convenience fees and paying for parking.

I still say eliminate 2 student sections and create a GA for the fan base. Students have shown for 2 decades that cant fill 2 sections let alone 5.
The GA section is a great idea!

Looking at Ticketmaster, way too many seats available. That's pretty sad.
That’s why I don’t think MW is the solution to our athletic woes. There have been a lot of examples of hosting MW teams in both football and basketball and it doesn’t end up being the highest attended game of the season.

This season our game vs Nevada is on track to become one of the lowest attended in recent history.

That’s why I don’t think MW is the solution to our athletic woes. There have been a lot of examples of hosting MW teams in both football and basketball and it doesn’t end up being the highest attended game of the season.

This season our game vs Nevada is on track to become one of the lowest attended in recent history.
Somewhat agree, but winning will change all that. UNM is one of our better home games of the year and this team deserves a better crowd so far. UTEP should be going all out on this one. I'm giving my tickets to a friend tonight (because my son's BB season is starting). Trying to get my friends more interested. Hopefully we have a good showing and another win on tuesday.

Somewhat agree, but winning will change all that. UNM is one of our better home games of the year and this team deserves a better crowd so far. UTEP should be going all out on this one. I'm giving my tickets to a friend tonight (because my son's BB season is starting). Trying to get my friends more interested. Hopefully we have a good showing and another win on tuesday.
Even when we have had a good team. Think back to Barbee’s NCAA team. That year we hosted a nationally ranked BYU from the MW. You would expect for that kind of game to sell out. But nope. That year we had six crowds over 10k but BYU wasn’t one of them.

One would think with how much we talk about the MW we would show up to those rare matchups against old rivals. It’s just another regular game for Miner fans.

Even when we have had a good team. Think back to Barbee’s NCAA team. That year we hosted a nationally ranked BYU from the MW. You would expect for that kind of game to sell out. But nope. That year we had six crowds over 10k but BYU wasn’t one of them.

One would think with how much we talk about the MW we would show up to those rare matchups against old rivals. It’s just another regular game for Miner fans.

I think the problem is two fold. One I think most fans especially casual fans realize we're in a one bid league and the regular season is meaningless. These games in a one bid league are hard to market. The Haskins Center is too big. In a perfect world we would play in a 6500-8000 seat arena.

The second issue is that any tradition and pedigree we once had is long dead. Outside the the run in the eighties UTEP basketball has done very little. Since the sixties we have made two tourney appearances every decade with the exception of the 80's (7) and 2010's our worst decade with only 1 tourney appearance. The last quarter century has been especially bad. We're not going to overcome our dreadful past in one game. It's going to take a few seasons. I thought 8000 was a very good turnout. I think over the years our fanbase has become a lot less savy. I dont think the average fan appreciates how good a win that was. I dont think most of our fanbase realizes that NMSU has been a top five mid major program for the last decade.

I do think being in the mountain west would dramatically help attendance. That's just based on name recognition alone. SDSU UNM UNLV CSU are much easier to sell than CUSA opponents. I think in an average season attendance for conference games would increase by 1,500 people a game being in the MWC. Plus it's a multi bid league and that would get people excited to play meaningful regular season games.

I think we're moving in the right direction. After the last three years that win Tuesday felt amazing. It definately the happiest I've been after a UTEP sporting event since the 2014 football win over mtsu. I havent been this excited about UTEP basketball since 2010. They are definately giving us all hope and after the last three years that is something desperately needed.

How about promotion? I haven't seen or heard anything from UTEP promoting the UNM game. Does UTEP even has a promotional department or staff?

Yes, but so far they’ve only cared about 2 games this year. Houston Baptist and NMSU. Don’t look for much the rest of the year, with the holidays and all.

Reactions: Autograph Boy
These are all good points.

In both football and basketball, fans probably have PTSD from years of being let down.
Its going to take some time to get fans back in the Don consistently.

Ok, maybe we should slow down on the ticket count until game day. El Pasoans are notorious procrastinators. I'm sure we'll have good attendance this year if we keep winning, but let's not expect any sellouts or rowdy games just yet.

It's going to take more than two wins to get the fans to erase the last 8yrs (or however long it's been) from their memory...

So all these “big” Miner fans on here. Big enough to sign up for a message board, but unable to check the official athletics website, listen to the post game on Tuesday, stay till the end of the game on Tuesday; when I’m sure they announced there was a game on Friday.

UTEP does a piss poor job of marketing, but for fans to be unaware of this game is pretty sad. These are the same fans that bitch about fans like me. I know when all the games are and if I don’t, I can check in 10 seconds.

Reactions: Autograph Boy
So all these “big” Miner fans on here. Big enough to sign up for a message board, but unable to check the official athletics website, listen to the post game on Tuesday, stay till the end of the game on Tuesday; when I’m sure they announced there was a game on Friday.

UTEP does a piss poor job of marketing, but for fans to be unaware of this game is pretty sad. These are the same fans that bitch about fans like me. I know when all the games are and if I don’t, I can check in 10 seconds.

Obviously YOU weren't there. Great support "fan".

I stayed the whole game. They promoted the UNM game a few times. And yes, they said "we will see you back here Friday when....yada yada".

Marketing isn't just about promotions, even though that's what cheap ass El Paso thrives on. They are on social media quite a bit, but the average fan probably doesn't follow them yet. Hard core fans do. They DO need to expand their reach using other outlets and target possible new fans.

The one thing I don’t like is having our key games on a Tuesday night and the guaranteed wins on a Friday or Saturday night. It seems like a lose lose situation. No matter what day they play eastern New Mexico it will be a low attended game. Having UNM and nmsu on a weekend night would easily increase attendance.

The one thing I don’t like is having our key games on a Tuesday night and the guaranteed wins on a Friday or Saturday night. It seems like a lose lose situation. No matter what day they play eastern New Mexico it will be a low attended game. Having UNM and nmsu on a weekend night would easily increase attendance.

True. We don’t know what the scheduling particulars were though. Might be why the NMSU and UNM games are on Tuesdays. I think the ENMU game would have done better being played later today. Not sure why it was last night, but whatever. Not like a home football game would be interfering

So true. I am often out of town during the week.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT