ADVERTISEMENT

Head Lobozo Gets Fired

Smart move for them. They quickly recognized the red flags, lack of progress and took decisive action.

And at the first sign of something similar at UTEP, you can bet your ass UTEP's administration will make the same move.

lieb

I wouldn't count on it. An administration that allowed seven straight losing seasons before making a coaching change in football doesn't exactly scream out at first sign. Now here we are entering year eight and you already know Floyd's accomplishments at UTEP no need to rub them in. Two consecutive seasons finishing with an RPI above 200 with an SOS above 200 equals regression. I've realized to not expect much from the AD of UTEP. As long as we lead the conference in attendance it's all good. Oh wait.

I'm happy that UNM athletics listened to their fans and took affirmative action. They should have no problem hiring a good coach. They'll be back to winning conference titles and competing in the NCAA tournament soon. We will keep waiting for next year.

At some point doesn't someone (wife, grandchildren, mailman, clerk behind the counter at Chico's Tacos) have to break it to Boob Stull that enough is enough. You've had your run. You are no longer contributing to the University athletic program. You reached your Peter Principle 15yrs ago. This is nothing short of embezzlement of university funds. CALL IT A DAY!

Sarcasm on a message board is not always easily detected. I actually thought you knew something about the situation that I didn't know, Lieb.

Won't be the last time I'm fooled either, I would bet.

You got me. Seriously there are some posters on here who genuinely believe everything is fine with UTEP athletics.

I'll admit that I lean towards that side. That being said, last week I said to my coworkers that I hope Stull doesn't automatically hire one of the women's team assistant coaches. Not that none of them don't deserve it but why not cast a wide net? What was in yesterday's paper? That Stull has all but offered the job to an assistant. I love UTEP but it's okay not to hire from within every time.

You got me. Seriously there are some posters on here who genuinely believe everything is fine with UTEP athletics.

It is all good, J. If I could invent a sarcasm font, I'd be rich enough to pay for Floyd's buyout clause.

lieb

I'll admit that I lean towards that side. That being said, last week I said to my coworkers that I hope Stull doesn't automatically hire one of the women's team assistant coaches. Not that none of them don't deserve it but why not cast a wide net? What was in yesterday's paper? That Stull has all but offered the job to an assistant. I love UTEP but it's okay not to hire from within every time.

Not every time, but in this situation, I think it would be the PERFECT hire. Being the top assistant for Coach Adams for 16 years here, knowing the way Adams ran the program, being the main recruiter in the foreign pipeline that has worked so very well here, means there is a very good possibility things can continue.

99c6710d494a3af643245c863c11cb81.jpg

That would be a hard job to pass up, but he's got only 1 year of head coaching under his belt and a good recruiting class coming in. The money, fan support and conference affiliates may make the jump easier. Too bad for NMSU if he leaves.

What's worse underpaying an overachieving coach or overpaying an underachieving coach?

That would be a hard job to pass up, but he's got only 1 year of head coaching under his belt and a good recruiting class coming in. The money, fan support and conference affiliates may make the jump easier. Too bad for NMSU if he leaves.

Not that I give a poop, but this could be the official end of the Reggie Theus legacy at NMSU. Menzies was a Theus assistant and Weir was his assistant. Coaching tree children are such a mixed bag because they could be either a hit or miss. In this case, it was a hit for NMSU.

I though Menzies was a Rick Pitino assistant before getting the head coaching spot at NMSU. Either way, I would expect them to go after another Pitino assistant because that has worked very well for NMSU.

I though Menzies was a Rick Pitino assistant before getting the head coaching spot at NMSU. Either way, I would expect them to go after another Pitino assistant because that has worked very well for NMSU.

Yes, Theus brought Menzies to NMSU, he specifically requested of NMSU to hire Menzies after he left. Same mold. Sorry, I should have said they were assistants and Pitino disciples. My fault.

"11. Marvin Menzies: As a longtime assistant coach, Menzies' resume went on for pages before he joined Pitino at Louisville in 2005. Menzies’ career had hopscotched from the high school ranks to junior college to San Diego State to USC to UNLV. After just two seasons alongside Pitino, Menzies was a head coach, taking over at New Mexico State. He has since led the Aggies to three WAC titles and three NCAA tournament berths.

Others to be considered: Cal State Northridge head coach Reggie Theus (Louisville assistant, 2003-05); Seton Hall head coach Kevin Willard (Louisville assistant, 2001-07); Florida assistant coach John Pelphrey (played at Kentucky); former NBA executive vice president Stu Jackson (Providence and New York Knicks assistant)."

http://www.espn.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/87834/rick-pitino-his-coaching-tree

I'm offering Floyd, three scholarships, and 60 days of free Chico's tacos in return for NMSU playing UTEP three times per season for the next four years - all at UTEP.

Okay, okay, I know I'm going in a little light on the front end, but my fall-back position is to up that taco offer thing to 90 days. That's my best and final. Gotta make this happen...

Last edited:
UNM hires Paul Weir, NMSU open again.

NMSU (money) booster and AD on twitter:

Let's put this in perspective, did any of you read "The Milagro Beanfield War" ? Read it and you will understand the New Mexico psyche and politics.

NMSU is broke and has been making cuts across the board. That former regent is delusional if he thinks this chump deserved a 2x raise after one freaking year. Way to overreact after this guy won the pathetic wac tourney and got blasted by Baylor. They dont have the money to pay 700-800k to a basketball coach. Too bad, maybe the coach has no loyalty and nobody can blame him if he chases the check!

NMSU is broke and has been making cuts across the board. That former regent is delusional if he thinks this chump deserved a 2x raise after one freaking year. Way to overreact after this guy won the pathetic wac tourney and got blasted by Baylor. They dont have the money to pay 700-800k to a basketball coach. Too bad, maybe the coach has no loyalty and nobody can blame him if he chases the check!

Wow, eeriely similar to UTEP Athletics. Revolving door, no money, shitty conference. Only difference is their basketball has had more success recently, but it's all apples and oranges when it relates to conference affiliation.

I just listened to Bob Osborne (formerly of NMSU board of regents) on Sportstalk blast the current regime for not backing NMSU basketball and Paul Weir. He says that the AD basically had his hands tied while UNM lured him away. He suggested a 100-200k raise based on this year and his dedication and performance over a 10 year period at NMSU. Said the board has 600 million dollars to work with and that they and the current president could care less about athletics.

Some will say the same thing is happening at UTEP, but here it is just complacency. That should hopefully change when Natalicio and Stull call it quits. With the new research building construction beginning soon and Tier 1 status close, I'm hoping that Natalicio will call it quits and the next prez/AD with get athletics rocking and rolling. There is plenty of money in El Paso. We just need the right support and effort.

Reactions: Lil_Train
The sad part of this to me is NM is a relatively poor state and I'm pretty sure their highest paid employee is now Weir.

Ha! The wonderful love affair of New Mexico college athletics between both the only two major programs in the state. Kind of like Ren & Stimpy (you pick who is who).

That's easy. Ren is a dog, which is a canine, as is the lobo (wolf). So, naturally UNM plays the part of Ren. By process of elimination, NMSU is the pussy(cat) Stimpy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT