ADVERTISEMENT

HeroSports.com: Can UTEP buyout Dimel's contract?

Can we? Yes
Will we? I dont think so

We have the worst AD and football coach in America. They need to both be shown the door at the same time. Both should be fired at the conclusion of the season but only Wilson can do that. I fear both have another year.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Didn’t wanted hire our new b-ball coach? So if we make it to the nit or ncaa tournament we still have the worst AD in America ?

Reactions: Cube Jack
AD is not the problem. Does he decide how much coaches get paid??? Isnt that the school President? I think Utep can afford to pay $1 million a year for a football coach. They are just being cheap.

AD is not the problem. Does he decide how much coaches get paid??? Isnt that the school President? I think Utep can afford to pay $1 million a year for a football coach. They are just being cheap.

2.1 + 3 = 5.1

I agree we could pay that much for a coach that’s worth it. IMO we could have gotten Dimel for 550k a season with a 4 year guarantee. It’s not like anyone else was after him or anything in his resume says he’s worth more than that. Bad negotiation by Senter. Our coach who has a 6-28 record in CUSA so I don’t know what makes him more valuable than a guy like Hopson who’s the lowest paid coach in the conference. Hopson has won 32 games, has not had a losing season, and is on his way to a third bowl in four years at USM.

I don’t know, I kind of agree with MinerforLife that Senter is an idiot.

Can we? Yes
Will we? I dont think so

We have the worst AD and football coach in America. They need to both be shown the door at the same time. Both should be fired at the conclusion of the season but only Wilson can do that. I fear both have another year.
Wow so you're firing them both less than 3 years in huh? Interesting.. . . Even with the great hire of Terey and how good the basketball teams looks to be the next 2 years, hmmm.. . . Dimel has to get at least another year, because again you're not understanding that he doesn't have all of his players. The Senter firing is way too premature. I'm not happy with the current situation either, but the AD is judged on many metrics not just football.

Wow so you're firing them both less than 3 years in huh? Interesting.. . . Even with the great hire of Terey and how good the basketball teams looks to be the next 2 years, hmmm.. . . Dimel has to get at least another year, because again you're not understanding that he doesn't have all of his players. The Senter firing is way too premature. I'm not happy with the current situation either, but the AD is judged on many metrics not just football.

People are just tired of losing and I understand but firing CD and the AD is just a loser mentality, Dimel said during his 1st press conference it would be a process, he also said that the current boys were his guys, he didn't run guys off which I believe speaks to his character, we all grow from our past endeavors. Be frustrated, that's ok, but how long was Baylor a losing program? Kansas? Northwestern? Colorado? Let CD have his 4yrs then the AD can decide on the 5th. Be a part of the solution, buy tickets so the AD can have the $$ to hire that "Golden Coach" you all want when the time comes.

People are just tired of losing and I understand but firing CD and the AD is just a loser mentality, Dimel said during his 1st press conference it would be a process, he also said that the current boys were his guys, he didn't run guys off which I believe speaks to his character, we all grow from our past endeavors. Be frustrated, that's ok, but how long was Baylor a losing program? Kansas? Northwestern? Colorado? Let CD have his 4yrs then the AD can decide on the 5th. Be a part of the solution, buy tickets so the AD can have the $$ to hire that "Golden Coach" you all want when the time comes.
I think the way we hold onto our coaches/AD for so long is a loser mentality, and firing a coach/AD in year 2 or 3 because they have shown little to no improvement is a winning mentality. It was pretty obvious Floyd wasn't going to do anything with this program after year 5 but we didn't cut him loose and we paid the price. Same thing with Stull. He should have been fired years before he finally decided to retire. We can't make this same mistake with Dimel, especially with how terrible our football program is right now. Every week we just see boring conservative, no sense of urgency, undisciplined football. But after the game he paints this nice picture that we should have won the football game in his press conference. If he can't win at least 2 more games this season, he needs to be fired.

So who will be the one to organize a mob armed with pitchforks and torches to march down to the UTEP Athletic Department and demand the firing of Dimel and Senter?

mob1.jpg

Reactions: utep-piggy
I don’t know, I kind of agree with MinerforLife that Senter is an idiot.

What kind of idiot gives a contract like that to that type of coach? Especially at a historically bad football program? What other job offers did Dismel have? It’s not like we were after a hot assistant and battling another school for their services. It makes no sense. Senter should be held accountable for giving such a large contract for someone who was not wanted.

What kind of idiot gives a contract like that to that type of coach? Especially at a historically bad football program? What other job offers did Dismel have? It’s not like we were after a hot assistant and battling another school for their services. It makes no sense. Senter should be held accountable for giving such a large contract for someone who was not wanted.

I repeat for the benefit of the slow to comprehend... he said......it will.....be a ....process....not a quick turnaround.....he will keep the Kugler era players....they are his guys.....(by now all should understand the talent Kugler brought in).....coaching can only do so much. CD will get 4yrs at least.

I repeat for the benefit of the slow to comprehend... he said......it will.....be a ....process....not a quick turnaround.....he will keep the Kugler era players....they are his guys.....(by now all should understand the talent Kugler brought in).....coaching can only do so much. CD will get 4yrs at least.

For the benefit of the even slower to comprehend, I am questioning why an AD would give this kind of contract to a coach like Dismel. One that had not been a head coach in forever, and was not wanted by any other school.

I’ll admit that every Saturday when I watch this team play I want to see everyone get the axe and I am sure most people on the board feel the same. But I am have to admit this is not The LA Dodgers or Golden State Warriors. This is not a team that has talent above and beyond their competitors and they probably just need to hear a different voice. It sucks but they need to wait this out, for good or worse to see what type of results we get long term because the only thing the next HC can do is tear it down and rebuild again.

My apologies for sounding uninformed, but with everyone calling for Dimel head on a pike, hasn't he signed (or will sign) some offensive studs that will be playing next year?

I mean, yes the football program was stuck in the stone age, and it's gonna take more than a couple of seasons to get rid of the rotten wood and replace it with quality players.

Reactions: MINER.JAY
My apologies for sounding uninformed, but with everyone calling for Dimel head on a pike, hasn't he signed (or will sign) some offensive studs that will be playing next year?

I mean, yes the football program was stuck in the stone age, and it's gonna take more than a couple of seasons to get rid of the rotten wood and replace it with quality players.
I agree, but it is that bad right now.

However, he's not going anywhere and the reality is high that he will be here the remainder of his contract.

But Dimel is going backwards. Firing Canales has to be on the table.

Dimel came looking for the job and proclaimed himself as the right man to turn things around. He convinced Senter, so our AD will stick with him as long as he can. I say if no significant progression after 3 years, then Wilson will have to step in.

Now that being said, if Dimel is to succeed and get his 5 years or more he needs to step it up. First and MOST IMPORTANT he needs to find a QB that can run his offense. Second, if he is going to call plays then he needs to get rid of the OC. Maybe Jake Waters could get a shot at coaching the QBs. Third he needs to start integrating his own players so 'Kugler's' players are not the excuse anymore. Most importantly he needs to sure up the O-line. Fourth he has to find a way of instilling more discipline in the players and cut down on dumb mistakes/penalties. Finally he needs to start beating bottom dwelling teams and get us out of the damn cellar.

Last edited:

Offensive studs is relative.

Reactions: utep-piggy
Dimel came looking for the job and proclaimed himself as the right man to turn things around. He convinced Senter, so our AD will stick with him as long as he can. I say if no significant progression after 3 years, then Wilson will have to step in.

Now that being said, if Dimel is to succeed and get his 5 years or more he needs to step it up. First and MOST IMPORTANT he needs to find a QB that can run his offense. Second, if he is going to call plays then he needs to get rid of the OC. Maybe Jake Waters could get a shot at coaching the QBs. Third he needs to start integrating his own players so 'Kugler's' players are not the excuse anymore. Most importantly he needs to sure up the O-line. Fourth he has to find a way of instilling more discipline in the players and cut down on dumb mistakes/penalties. Finally he needs to start beating bottom dwelling teams and get us out of the damn cellar.

Dimels plan of action is the right one. Redshirt these boys and let them develop. The concern is, is the talent currently sitting out any good?

For the benefit of the even slower to comprehend, I am questioning why an AD would give this kind of contract to a coach like Dismel. One that had not been a head coach in forever, and was not wanted by any other school.

Great point. Dimel should have been given a base salary of 400k loaded with performance incentives directly tied to wins each season. If you think about it, he doesn't have to win another game at UTEP and he will still bank 2-3 million. So Senter made two mistakes. The first was hiring Dimel, and the second was giving him a long-term guaranteed contract.

Last edited:
Great point. Dimel should have been given a base salary of 400k loaded with performance incentives directly tied to wins each season. If you think about it, he doesn't have to win another game at UTEP and he will still bank 2-3 million. So Senter made two mistakes, hiring Dimel and giving him a long term guaranteed contract.

I’m playing Devil’s advocate here: I don’t think you would get the type of candidates you’re looking for if you make a contract like that. Why would you work and suffer and take loss after loss with a bad program your trying to build from the ground up... and ultimately make even less money? That’s a backwards way of thinking. If Dimmel turns this around, or any coach for that matter their salary will be well deserved because they have to eat a massive shit sandwich to get this program going. Let the man have some money for the pain.

Dimels plan of action is the right one. Redshirt these boys and let them develop. The concern is, is the talent currently sitting out any good?
Players are allowed to play in 4 games and still keep their redshitrt. Dimel needs to start getting these redshirt players some experience.

I’m playing Devil’s advocate here: I don’t think you would get the type of candidates you’re looking for if you make a contract like that. Why would you work and suffer and take loss after loss with a bad program your trying to build from the ground up... and ultimately make even less money? That’s a backwards way of thinking. If Dimmel turns this around, or any coach for that matter their salary will be well deserved because they have to eat a massive shit sandwich to get this program going. Let the man have some money for the pain.
My question is why are other similar terrible programs able to lure in a coach for a similar pay?

Here’s an example. Kent St hired Sean Lewis to take over a program that had gone 10-37 in the previous four years. They hired him at 440k per season. He took a pay cut from his job as offensive coordinator at Syracuse. Probably cuz the man has ambitions and is not afraid to grab the bull by the horns. In 1.5 seasons as hc (same time as Dimel) he has won five games and has Kent St one game back from East division MAC leader.

UTEP hired Dimel to take over a team that had gone 16-33 over the same four years. 1.5 seasons later we are still searching for the first home win over an FBS team.

Why is the AD of Akron able to negotiate a better deal for the university with an up and coming young assistant but our AD has us on the hook with an antiquated coach?

The honeymoon for Senter is over. Unless Dimel starts winning games pronto, Senter is well deserved of all the criticism surrounding the football program.

My question is why are other similar terrible programs able to lure in a coach for a similar pay?

Here’s an example. Kent St hired Sean Lewis to take over a program that had gone 10-37 in the previous four years. They hired him at 440k per season. He took a pay cut from his job as offensive coordinator at Syracuse. Probably cuz the man has ambitions and is not afraid to grab the bull by the horns. In 1.5 seasons as hc (same time as Dimel) he has won five games and has Kent St one game back from East division MAC leader.

UTEP hired Dimel to take over a team that had gone 16-33 over the same four years. 1.5 seasons later we are still searching for the first home win over an FBS team.

Why is the AD of Akron able to negotiate a better deal for the university with an up and coming young assistant but our AD has us on the hook with an antiquated coach?

The honeymoon for Senter is over. Unless Dimel starts winning games pronto, Senter is well deserved of all the criticism surrounding the football program.

I understand your frustration, but at the same time if you look at the schools that are consistently among the worst performing programs in the country you’ll notice they all have some of the worst salaries as well. I understand you don’t want to overpay for a bad coach but at the same time you have to offer a competitive salary to get qualified candidates.
If that Kent St coach hits it out of the park you know a bigger school will offer him legit money and he will immediately bolt. Will Kent State be willing to match his salary in order to retain him? And if he goes does anyone think they will catch lightning in a bottle again and get a good coach for 400k? More often than not if you’re going to pay nothing for a head coach you’re going to get what you pay for.

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/

I don’t know how reliable this is but it seems like Dimel has about 700k plus worth of incentives written into his contract.

.... The concern is, is the talent currently sitting out any good?

Dimel said Hankins will be seeing playing time this year then the scuttle butt is his silence and that Hankins is having a challenge learning his offense?

Our QB is bad in an erratic sense and I mean both Jones and KL; so as fans we will not know how good the other players are until they both are gone.

Canales has to go. Know I can see why he is a Traveling Willbury of an OC.

As fans do we buy the Senter/Dimel narrative that is constant on media. As of now, no! But we have no control of the finances and 2.1 mil is way too much money for UTEP too buy out as of right now.

What, as fans, can we demand from Dimel?

A) The boneheaded mistakes have to stop......now!

B) Keep buying tickets. Don't ever stop buying tickets. But call on his radio show and politely ask what is he specifically doing to try and correct the miscues? Send emails but be cordial and polite.

C) Dimel said earlier in the year he would will play the best player(s) that get the job done, no matter if a freshman. We understand the basis not to burn a players redshirt after four games, but is there another player who is standing on the sidelines not getting enough field time who gets positive plays? Dawn is one such player that comes to mind. Eddie Sinegal as well.

D) Why do some coaches have success implementing a RPO offense within two years but at UTEP, it's not having success? Coach Pellini has it running efficiently at Youngstown State and they could easily beat most FBS mid majors.

I understand your frustration, but at the same time if you look at the schools that are consistently among the worst performing programs in the country you’ll notice they all have some of the worst salaries as well. I understand you don’t want to overpay for a bad coach but at the same time you have to offer a competitive salary to get qualified candidates.
If that Kent St coach hits it out of the park you know a bigger school will offer him legit money and he will immediately bolt. Will Kent State be willing to match his salary in order to retain him? And if he goes does anyone think they will catch lightning in a bottle again and get a good coach for 400k? More often than not if you’re going to pay nothing for a head coach you’re going to get what you pay for.

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/

I don’t know how reliable this is but it seems like Dimel has about 700k plus worth of incentives written into his contract.
I want us to pay a good salary. I’ve been saying we need to join the “million dollar club” since around 2012. With inflation by now we probably need to join the “1.5 club.”

Only for a coach that’s worth it. A HC with recent success. Someone that had success at the G5 level went to the P5s and didn’t perform as good and is now back in the G5 world. I understand that without a good salary such a coach wouldn’t want to undertake a project of this size. At the same time it sucks to see LT get that type of coach for less than what we’re paying Dimel.

I want us to pay a good salary. I’ve been saying we need to join the “million dollar club” since around 2012. With inflation by now we probably need to join the “1.5 club.”

Only for a coach that’s worth it. A HC with recent success. Someone that had success at the G5 level went to the P5s and didn’t perform as good and is now back in the G5 world. I understand that without a good salary such a coach wouldn’t want to undertake a project of this size. At the same time it sucks to see LT get that type of coach for less than what we’re paying Dimel.

I agree with you. But LT has had a lot of down years as well because they aren’t able to pay and retain good coaches. We have the same problem with BB. Barbee and Billy G were offered way too much money to step up and we’re stuck picking up the pieces every time. Sometimes we hit, sometimes we don’t

If that Kent St coach hits it out of the park you know a bigger school will offer him legit money and he will immediately bolt. Will Kent State be willing to match his salary in order to retain him?

Who cares? That is a good “problem” to have. If your coach is leaving for a better job, they were likely successful. Fearing a coach will leave for more money is stupid. As you’re saying that you would rather a coach be mediocre and remain at the school, than be successful and leave.

Reactions: NYCMiner
Who cares? That is a good “problem” to have. If your coach is leaving for a better job, they were likely successful. Fearing a coach will leave for more money is stupid. As you’re saying that you would rather a coach be mediocre and remain at the school, than be successful and leave.

You’re obviously not reading what I’m saying. You’re not going to get a good coach every time you pay peanuts. I forgot why I blocked you in the first place.

You’re obviously not reading what I’m saying. You’re not going to get a good coach every time you pay peanuts. I forgot why I blocked you in the first place.

Awe, want a binky little baby????

Nick Saban once worked for peanuts. Everyone starts somewhere, sometimes you hit, sometimes you miss. Better to take a risk than hire a proven turd

Better to take a risk than hire a proven turd

That’s what makes this situation so frustrating. Based on pure w/l records it seems he has left programs in worse situation than he found them.

Wyoming was a 10 win team nationally ranked program prior to Dimel taking over it. He left the team after a 7-4 season. It’s what happened after he left that has me concerned. Wyoming went to record seasons of 1-10, 2-9, and 2-10. Dimel jumped ship prior to the disaster that was right around the corner for Wyoming. At Houston he took over a program that Helton worked very hard to turn into a middle of the pack team. By his second year Dimel had led them to their worst and only winless season in their history.

IMO there’s nothing in his history as a head coach that shows he can actually turn a program around. Oh wait there is, he makes them worse.

Exactly. There is no way Dismel was the only coach that “wanted” the job. There is no way that Dismel should be getting paid what he does. Basically any FCS coach would have been a better hire and some of them would have taken this job. It’s not possible that every coach in the Southland or Big Sky did not want to coach in FBS here.

Exactly. There is no way Dismel was the only coach that “wanted” the job. There is no way that Dismel should be getting paid what he does. Basically any FCS coach would have been a better hire and some of them would have taken this job. It’s not possible that every coach in the Southland or Big Sky did not want to coach in FBS here.
K.C. Keeler from SHSU was on the short list. If Senter wanted a coach with HC experience, Keeler would have been a no brainer over Dimel. I wasn't a big fan of hiring Keeler, but he would have been a huge upgrade over Dimel. Keeler is a proven winner and UTEP would have easily won more than 2 games in like a season and a half here. SHSU beat a 9th ranked team a few weeks ago with their 5th string QB. Keeler knows how to win.

Awe, want a binky little baby????

Nick Saban once worked for peanuts. Everyone starts somewhere, sometimes you hit, sometimes you miss. Better to take a risk than hire a proven turd

Ha Ha. You think a care what you think? Go on ranting and raving about how you think UTEP Athletics should be run from the void and take your Dr Natalicio “We can’t pay anything” mentality with you.

poster,840x830,f8f8f8-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg

Reactions: MinerInWisconsin
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT