ADVERTISEMENT

How did you become a UTEP fan?

unihorn

MI Miner Maniac
Dec 1, 2007
It's a slow sports night, so I'll start:

I grew up in El Paso going to UTEP games as a kid.

I don't have a degree from UTEP, but I have completed five graduate courses at UTEP.

I was away from El Paso for a long time, but when I moved back I plugged right in as a UTEP fan since it's one of the only games in town.

You?

Same. I grew up in EP. Went to Miner games my whole life because my dad was a huge Haskins/Miner fan. Became a true die hard Miner when I was 11 or 12, though, in the early 80s. Enjoyed UTEP fb, but bb was where my fanaticism developed and evolved. Moved away from EP a week after coming back from Kemper Arena, where the Miners went to the Sweet 16. Had some dry years before the internet surfaced. Would call into SA's local news stations to find out how the Miners did because I couldn't wait for the box score in the paper the following morning. Have watched damn near every game broadcast on MinerTV since it's inception. Pretty much an isolated fan in NBTX, but I'm still known to walk around from time to time in my vintage Tim Hardaway jersey.:cool:

I was 8 years old when they won it all in 1966, my sister was a sophomore at TWC, and a journalism major, so she had a lot of interest and access to all things TWC as she was part of the yearbook staff (do they still have one?). I don't recall the entire season but I do recall watching the Kentucky game and my sister's excitement at points during the season. I also clearly remember the parade down Montana the next day, I grew up just a block North of Montana in the 5 points area. Next memories were staying up for the game replays after the 10pm news, I believe during the early 70s and throughout. My 1st game was in the eight grade, a friend scored a pair of tickets. Gus Bailey, Beto Bautista era, against Arizona. Memorial gym was a madhouse and everyone packed in like sardines. In all the great games and great crowds I've witnessed at the Don, I have never heard a roar/sound That duplicates what I heard that day. No wonder The Bear wasn't totally pleased with moving to the Special Events. I arrived at UTEP in 77 and didn't miss a game for a long, long time, even after graduating. I witnessed 2 great games at the Pit in the 80s, both victories, one where Luster Goodwin was out of this world. I went to Tucson in 87 for the Arizona and Iowa regional games. Got to have a great conversation with Sean Elliott about the Arizona game back in 08 when I lived in S.A. Pretty much the same with football, had some great times through the many lean years and the few successful ones at the Sun Bowl. I'm much more laid back now. Woah, sorry for the length.

I went to the football games every week in the 80s and I had a hard time watching them get crushed week in and week out as a child. Like a lot of people I rooted for other colleges when I was a teen but I later attended UTEP and I've never rooted for another college since.

Last edited:
Since I was away, my memories are more recent:

I was working in California when Barbee took us to the NCAA tournament game versus Butler in San Jose -- took my boys.

We thought we'd kill Butler, so we were cocky at the half when we led. We obviously hadn't scouted our competition -- brutal first round draw.

Since that day, it's been tough sledding.

Football? All I remember is tough sledding...

Last edited:
FanatiCoog, I lived in S.A. from 04-09 and would get absolutely thrilled when I would run into a fellow Miner wearing UTEP gear, or recognize me when wearing mine.

Haha! Same here. I have a buddy who is a huge UT fan (comes with the territory in these parts). Anyway, when UTEP (fb) played at UT in 09, he got such a kick out of Miner fans because of the way we could spot each other from a mile away and every damn one of us in that hostile territory made it a point to chat every other Miner fan up. He still pokes at me for that!

Reactions: allminer
Haha! Same here. I have a buddy who is a huge UT fan (comes with the territory in these parts). Anyway, when UTEP (fb) played at UT in 09, he got such a kick out of Miner fans because of the way we could spot each other from a mile away and every damn one of us in that hostile territory made it a point to chat every other Miner fan up. He still pokes at me for that!

Was that the game it was like 120 degrees and people were passing out and seeking refuge in the stadium bowels? If so, I was there.

Was that the game it was like 120 degrees and people were passing out and seeking refuge in the stadium bowels? If so, I was there.

Yessir. It was mid September and miserable. We only stayed in the stadium for a half and then returned to the tailgate parties.

From a Miner standpoint, there wasn't much to stay for after our pick 6 to tie it up very early in the 1st quarter. All down hill from there.

Reactions: allminer
Yessir. It was mid September and miserable. We only stayed in the stadium for a half and then returned to the tailgate parties.

My shirt, shorts, socks, underwear, shoes, hat -- everything -- was soaked with sweat before the end of the first quarter. There shouldn't be day games in Texas until at least October.

One of my favorite moments of many, a cashier at Sam's upon noticing my UTEP shirt telling me she went to high school with Quentin Demps and asking if he was any good at UTEP?

Back in 03 still living in El Paso, I was sent to a week long working retreat in New Braunfels. 1st day I walked in wearing a Miner shirt. The facilitator was wearing a KU shirt. He looks at me a long time and finally muttered, "still hurts, to this day it still hurts."

I don't know, but I have memories as a kid watching an SMU vs UTEP football game on Channel 4, and the basketball team playing Wyoming on a Saturday afternoon.

I do remember my first ever game that I attended. It was a Football game between the Miners and Northern Michigan. We had season tickets for Football from that season on in GA. In basketball my dad was always pissed off at Parking, so we had seats in section D row 7 seats 1-4. It came with a giant parking pass that hung from the mirror.

So many memories...watched the 66 game at my uncles house. My dad was stationed in Korea at the time. He actually bet another Captain over there who was from Kentucky a case of their favorite whiskey for all the men in his battery. He's told me his greatest worry was how he was going to pay for it. He was just a Captain after all.

I was only six and remember honking the car horn outside and hearing shots going off after the win...In 1967 and 68 my dad was stationed in Fort Knox and I got to wear my TWC #1 t-shirt but really had no idea at the time its significance...

But my real introduction came when we finally moved back home to El Paso when my dad got out of active duty in 71. He said he had tickets for the Sun Carnival and I was ready to go because I thought their would be rides and games and popcorn! Instead I was disappointed (at first) that it was just a basketball game. I think UTEP played Evansville? in a very good game. Me and my family were hooked from the outset and went to every home game after that! Probably got season tickets at some point. I know we did when they first opened up the Haskins Center. We were in the corner by the UTEP bench. Later we moved to Section C Row 2 where I was able to taunt opposing players. Sat behind the Martins of Martin Tires, one section over from a very young Steve Kaplowitz and his brother. My friends at the time flew me up to Arizona to watch the Iowa game after my dad and I watched the Miners beat Arizona. They flew me up and then I drove back with them. Never forget them for doing that...

Football? I became a fan more during my high school days during the times when we were getting beaten 82-6. I remember a lot of empty seats and our greatest fun was making paper airplanes from the program and seeing if we could make the field. But my friend's older brother always took us and we were faithful. Just left early one night when we played Colorado State where it was very rainy and windy and cold. Helped throw the goal post over the top of the Sun Bowl after beating BYU or Air Force. As you get older all the memories melt together and its hard to separate them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT