ADVERTISEMENT

How long do you give Floyd to turn things around?

How long do you give Floyd to turn things around?

• He should have been fired before the beginning of the season

Votes: 6 9.1%
  • He should be fired now

Votes: 13 19.7%
  • He needs to make the Tournament this season, or fire him

Votes: 13 19.7%
  • He needs a CUSA title and/or Tournament bid next season, or fire him

Votes: 27 40.9%
  • Give him longer than that, but he needs a CUSA title/Tournament bid sometime

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • The job should be his for as long as he wants it

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters
No, you are easy to please being happy with winning CUSA titles. Is that all you are rationally happy with? If it was, you would expect Much more than what has been produced.

As I said, winning CUSA would be a "start". A program has to be built. One step at a time if it's done right. Yes, a conference title, or CUSA tourney title, would be a step in the right direction.

As I said, winning CUSA would be a "start". A program has to be built. One step at a time if it's done right. Yes, a conference title, or CUSA tourney title, would be a step in the right direction.
You also said, "Honestly, I can only speak for myself, but I would settle for winning mighty CUSA's title, or tournament as a start." Was this year not supposed to be a rebuilding year? It seems that for a program to be built one step at a time, rebuilding is part of the process as painful as it may be. Fire Floyd and hire a new coach would delay a CUSA title for a couple more years at least don't you think?

You also said, "Honestly, I can only speak for myself, but I would settle for winning mighty CUSA's title, or tournament as a start." Was this year not supposed to be a rebuilding year? It seems that for a program to be built one step at a time, rebuilding is part of the process as painful as it may be. Fire Floyd and hire a new coach would delay a CUSA title for a couple more years at least don't you think?

6 years is more than enough time in my opinion. I almost hurl when I say that because it's such a cliche at this point, but it's the truth. We should not be still looking for that first step, 6 years into Floyd's tenure. If it hasn't been achieved yet with CTF and his staff, I don't see it happening. The concern I have in giving Floyd more time is that I can't remember even one of his teams that has shown a marked improvement from the beginning of the year to the end. In fact, quite the opposite is true, as I've seen what appears to be regression for at least a couple of his Miner teams. You may be right in that it could take a couple years to build something with a new coach, however, every year we keep TF, we are delaying that elusive CUSA title, or tourney title, yet another year. Not sure what happened along the way, but TF has lost "it". He should no longer be judged by his successes from the past, in terms of the job he has done here, or what he could do here. He has been mediocre at best at UTEP, and downright shitty at worst. It's time for a change.

Last edited:
Reactions: TrojanMiner
Minermaniac, thank you for "posting" a response instead of attacking it. I respect you for that. So let me explain my post to you.....When I asked how often UTEP could land someone like Floyd, I misspoke. Utep could and has. My problem is that after a couple of good years, they leave. On the other hand, Floyd has stayed. He could have left, but he hasn't. Every other successful coach has. How does Utep end this? You say you have higher standards for this program but your standards and the quality of players that this school recruits are two different things entirely. Don't blame the coaches, blame the athletic department budget. Do you think Floyd and the staff could afford or should sleep over at a recruits home like Calipari? Now you bring up the names of many great past Miner players that others recruited and brought to Utep but you failed to mention Omega Harris, Vint and others who play now or have recently graduated/gone to NBA. Comparing recruiting classes from 5, 10, 20 years ago to today's is "flat out ridiculous". Today's 5 star player has nothing on their mind other than getting into the NBA. If their goal was to attend a great educational institution and receive a degree, many smaller Ivy League type schools would be constants in the NCAA tournament. You say, "They concern themselves with the school, the team, the city, their relationship to the coaches who are recruiting them, their perceived ability to win at the school, their perceived chance to earn playing time, etc,. and compare that against the same criteria for the other schools that are recruiting them. And while it may seem to you that UTEP would lose in a lot of these comparisons, that's not necessarily the case." If all of these 5 star players or even 4 star players concerned themselves with the school they attend, wouldn't more of them stay the 4 years and earn degrees before jumping to the NBA or European Basketball leagues?? You and others expect Utep to compete for conference titles every year. When Haskins was still here, if he failed to win the conference, everyone cried for his termination. Don't believe me?? Go back and look at the sports pages from that era at the library. Then look at all of the teams from the end of the Haskins era until now that were mediocre at best. Every coach for Utep has had his share of poor recruiting classes. The Billy Gillespies recruited well, then left and found themselves in serious trouble. The other Barbee's were given players recruited from prior coaching staffs. They did well and then...left. Now, I hate to say it because the narrow minded will go crazy over this but the women are kicking ass. That's not good enough for El Paso??? I read comments saying, "We're not UConn or Tennessee." No, we're not. But that is how great programs are born. With the backing from fans. Those that made those comments are openly saying that because the women's BB team is doing great, it makes no difference because they are women and should be ignored. WOW, what a great fanbase. Then they wonder why recruits, when researching Utep, decide not to come here. As for Floyd, all of you can call for his termination. Afterwards, we can look forward to another 3-4 years before having a winning record again....or if you think you can do better, apply to be the head coach and let's see how much better you can do.

Good post

Anyone want to change their vote?

I just did. Originally I had selected "He needs a CUSA title and/or Tournament bid next season, or fire him", but I just changed it to "He needs to make the Tournament this season, or fire him." As this poll was posted during this past season, it means that I want him gone now. The recent defections have me extremely doubtful that we will even be able to reach 19 wins next season, and that's not near good enough 7 seasons in.

Reactions: CoSpgsMinerfan
He needs to go now. Won't happen, if it even goes there, until the end of the season but this trip down memory lane with CTF has been an utter failure. A Conf Championship right now it highly unlikely so why bother waiting until the end of the season. I see no resolution in the next 2-3 years with CTF at the helm this season. It only gets worse the longer he stays......

Reactions: CoSpgsMinerfan
Was this year not supposed to be a rebuilding year? It seems that for a program to be built one step at a time, rebuilding is part of the process as painful as it may be. Fire Floyd and hire a new coach would delay a CUSA title for a couple more years at least don't you think?
Under Floyd, every year is a rebuilding year because of all the players leaving.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT