ADVERTISEMENT

Hyped Recruits That Panned Out

JCorona

MI Miner Maniac
Jun 15, 2014
I’ve been thinking about recruiting at UTEP the last two decades. It has been 20 years since the Bear retired. In that time period which highly touted recruits lived up to their expectations?

There are many that never made it on the court or had a full career at UTEP. Also, a few under the radar recruits that weren’t hyped but turned out to have solid careers.

I would prefer if we limited it to hs recruits that played all four years or left early to join the nba draft.

So who do you got?

RC 3 and Stone have to be the best underhyped players in the past 20 yrs.

Hunter was fairly highly touted and a solid high major player. We were lucky to have him because of grades. J Wash too.

Not sure where Jackson fits in.

Highly touted I would say Caracter and Artis played pretty well here. Of course they were not 4 year players. Neither were OT and Fili and I'm not sure how touted they were.

Last edited:
RC 3 and Stone have to be the best underhyped players in the past 20 yrs.

Hunter was fairly highly touted and a solid high major player. We were lucky to have him because of grades. J Wash too.

Not sure where Jackson fits in.

Highly touted I would say Caracter and Artis played pretty well here. Of course they were not 4 year players. Neither were OT and Fili and I'm how touted they were.
Fili and OT were Juco all-americans and were considered top 10 recruits out of Juco. They played up to that standard.

Not sure how highly touted Stefon Jackson was but boy did he play well.

I would go with Caracter, Artis, Fili and OT.
Those all come to mind for me as well. I can’t seem to think of any HS recruits. Hunter is the only one but I still feel under different circumstances he would have given us three good years then off to the nba.

Reactions: Lil_Train
I'd say Julian Washburn and Dominic Artis.

Washburn was a Rivals Top 130 if my memory is correct.

OT and Fili for sure. They were the backbone of that class and lead a massive turnaround. Character played only half the year but he made such an impact.

Is it true that in the last 20 years since the Bear left the sidelines we have failed to land and develop more than one highly recruited high school kid?

Hopefully Terry’s recruits change that.

Is it true that in the last 20 years since the Bear left the sidelines we have failed to land and develop more than one highly recruited high school kid?

Hopefully Terry’s recruits change that.
Moultrie?
Jackson?

Moultrie?
Jackson?
Moultrie would definitely count if he hadn’t left early. I think Jackson would fit the bill but I don’t remember any hype surrounding his recruitment. I think he fits better as a under the radar hidden gem. I could be wrong. Does anyone remember what schools we beat out for Jackson?

Moultrie would definitely count if he hadn’t left early. I think Jackson would fit the bill but I don’t remember any hype surrounding his recruitment. I think he fits better as a under the radar hidden gem. I could be wrong. Does anyone remember what schools we beat out for Jackson?

Jackson was a top 150 player. He had lots of offers from the philly area. I think he had a lot A 10 offers

Reactions: Lil_Train
Stefon Jackson from Philly. Rare one to be getting out of Philly given his talent and plethora of D1 programs there and within a two and half hour hour drive.

I know he was a Don Haskins guy but Brandon Wolfram definitely is a guy that exceeded expectations. Hell of a senior year.

Caracter and Moultrie are the ones that brought the hype and lived up to it, but they left early.

Caracter and Moultrie are the ones that brought the hype and lived up to it, but they left early.
Moultrie was actually more of a sleeper recruit out of high school. In fact, it was Jason Jones, who was also out of Memphis, who was considered the better recruit at the time.

Reactions: MinerManiac
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT