ADVERTISEMENT

Money is the only thing that matters in Conference Realignment!

nattybry

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 7, 2003
Obviously this off season Conference Realignment has been a topic on this board and how and if it'll affect our Miners. We already know UTEP has been left behind by former conference mates who've went on to greener pastures, some even P5 Conferences.
Utep has not put themselves in a very attractive position. Also El Paso's location and smallish TV Market (Due in part to many households preferring Spanish television) have not helped. With all that being said, somehow after most of us thought C-USA would have a smaller TV Contract after most of the teams left. They pulled off doubling the TV Contract with less mouths to feed and teams that left to the Sun Belt pretty much made a lateral move. In addition to that UTEP will be receiving millions from teams who left to AAC and Sun Belt. So my point that no one wants to hear or admit on this board is.... UTEP Athletic's are in a better position financially than it was before all the teams left! Sorry, but it's a fact. With new realignment's being about money not the fans, Leaders don't care about rivalries or travel, etc... I also think the new landscape sucks, but it is what it is. I see Conference USA making a strong play for Army and UMASS, but AAC will probably have a say in that. If not C-USA will get 2 more FCS teams to move up. I would love to see Utep in the MWC, because the proximity and old rivalries. However the money may or may not be that much greater than C-USA depending on what happens. If MWC retains most of it's teams and adds Washington St./Oregon St. then Utep probably doesn't have a chance to join. If PAC 10, keeps the 4 existing teams and poaches most of MWC, then that will give Utep a chance in a watered down MWC that will have a significantly lower TV Contract. So we'll see how it plays out, but money will drive whatever happens with Utep in the future not proximity or rivalries like us fans would like.

Money is the only thing that matters in any business.

Army and UMass aren’t joining CUSA. UMass isn’t leaving the A-10 to play basketball with FIU and UTEP. They would have accepted the MACs invitation 10 years ago if they cared about football. Them and Army are not wanted or needed in CUSA. Army already tried football only in CUSA.

CUSA did improve their TV money. Two things - 1: TV money continues to increase for live sports. 2: CUSA only received more because they agreed to play Wednesday football games. They killed their live gates in order to be on ESPN2. UTEP lucked out and only got 1 home game, maybe next year they have 2 Wednesday home games.

The Wednesday games are great for out of town fans, not so much for locals.

Army and UMass aren’t joining CUSA. UMass isn’t leaving the A-10 to play basketball with FIU and UTEP. They would have accepted the MACs invitation 10 years ago if they cared about football. Them and Army are not wanted or needed in CUSA. Army already tried football only in CUSA.

CUSA did improve their TV money. Two things - 1: TV money continues to increase for live sports. 2: CUSA only received more because they agreed to play Wednesday football games. They killed their live gates in order to be on ESPN2. UTEP lucked out and only got 1 home game, maybe next year they have 2 Wednesday home games.

If Utep has a winning team, hopefully fans will still come and the fact that it's NMSU should help. How long has it been since UTEP and NMSU had winning records at the same time plus it'll be a conference game. I'm hoping the possibility of those 2 things will help!

What live gates?

Yes, we doubled our tv money but we’re still in the lowest paying conference. Will it make a difference? Very little if any. Considering MW quadrupled their payout from 1 to 4 million. And it’s probably gonna go up if they add some of the leftover PAC schools.

While we were promoted from the deep frier to the grill, the .25 cent raise that comes with it isn’t gonna be enough to keep up.

Yes, we doubled our tv money but we’re still in the lowest paying conference. Will it make a difference? Very little if any. Considering MW quadrupled their payout from 1 to 4 million. And it’s probably gonna go up if they add some of the leftover PAC schools.

While we were promoted from the deep frier to the grill, the .25 cent raise that comes with it isn’t gonna be enough to keep up.
That's basically what I said Corona. However If they add PAC schools then Utep has little to no shot, so that doesn't help us. If they lose 8 MWC teams then it'll drop close to what ours and Sun Belt's is. Let's say MWC was down to UNM, San Jose St. Nevada and Wyoming for instance. I along with other Miner fans would love to be with them, but would there be a huge money difference with those teams and adding Utep, NMSU, La Tech etc ...? I just don't know.

Reactions: MINER.JAY
That's basically what I said Corona. However If they add PAC schools then Utep has little to no shot, so that doesn't help us. If they lose 8 MWC teams then it'll drop close to what ours and Sun Belt's is. Let's say MWC was down to UNM, San Jose St. Nevada and Wyoming for instance. I along with other Miner fans would love to be with them, but would there be a huge money difference with those teams and adding Utep, NMSU, La Tech etc ...? I just don't know.
PAC is dead.

PAC is dead.
I agree for the most part. My original post stated that if the MWC adds the PAC schools anyways. So if the MWC absorbs the remaining teams then most likely Utep won't be invited though, right? So point still remains. Only better situation is for Utep by some miracle to be added to MWC along with PAC schools or AAC. Right now I don't see any of those happening, but would love for that to change. AAC's current TV contract is pretty massive for G5, but has the verbage in the contract to change and I think will go down since Cincy, Houston, UCF, etc .. have left and the 6 added schools won't have the same oomph!!! The new schools bring media markets, but haven't proven to be major players in those media markets yet, UTSA being the exception. It'll still be much larger than that of the C-USA though obviously. C-USA though is now on par with MAC and Sun-Belt. Utep will have to pull off a miracle to get in MWC or AAC as it stands in the next couple of years and I currently don't see it.
PAC is dead.

Probably shakes out something like this:

Cal and Stanford join ACC in Football only and MWC in other sports or goes independent in Football and join MWC in other sports. This would put them at 14 teams in football with Oregon St. and Washington St. and 15 teams in Basketball. I doubt they'd see the need to go to 16 in Football, but on the off chance they did then Utep/NMSU could find their way in the mix. This is the only scenario in which I see Utep having a chance to move out of C-USA any time soon. However if this does play out MWC would probably be wise to just stay with 14 Football Members and maybe get to 16 in Basketball and other sports for travel partner purposes. Would Miner or Aggie fans be ok being MWC members in Basketball and other sports not Football or would C-USA allow that? Probably not I'm guessing, but this whole thing is always changing.

I think we are going nowhere. Honestly, we are lucky to be in CUSA at this point in time. In saying that, fans are going to be pleasantly surprised with the addition of Liberty because they have mucho dinero for both major revenue programs and compete well. KSU is a massive university and will put UTEP moniker in the Atlanta area but then again Rice is in Houston and that has not helped them in sports nor the conference at all other than being in a prime TV location, Texas recruiting hot spot and giving a conference bona fide top tier academic credentials.

The down side, CUSA has traditionally down well in post season basketball and bowl season was not bad over the years, but those members are gone now other than WKU, MTSU and La Tech. Can the trend continue?

Last edited:
If UTEP wants to save its own ass and CUSAs ass as well, we'd better be getting into and winning bowl games. And getting into and winning NCAA tournament games. We have to get ourselves out of the gutter. Simple as that.
I agree, but I don’t want to sound negative but we’ve been so accustomed too being in the gutter it’s like our second home.

Reactions: Rocketsr
I agree, but I don’t want to sound negative but we’ve been so accustomed too being in the gutter it’s like our second home.
Think about the last few “Cinderellas” in basketball. When was the last time you watched George Mason, FGCU, Loyola, VCU, and Wichita St? They might be on tv, but they’re not doing anything. Butler is only one that really upgraded, but they’re also a private, catholic school that happened to align with the rest of the Big East when they broke off from the AAC teams.

What’s Boise up to? Been in the MWC for almost 15 years. What about Memphis? Try as the may, still a step or two away from being a power school.

Even if UTEP wins, their “ceiling” is the MWC. UTEP blew it by hanging onto Price, hiring Kugler, and hiring an underperforming Tim Floyd.

Think about the last few “Cinderellas” in basketball. When was the last time you watched George Mason, FGCU, Loyola, VCU, and Wichita St? They might be on tv, but they’re not doing anything. Butler is only one that really upgraded, but they’re also a private, catholic school that happened to align with the rest of the Big East when they broke off from the AAC teams.

What’s Boise up to? Been in the MWC for almost 15 years. What about Memphis? Try as the may, still a step or two away from being a power school.

Even if UTEP wins, their “ceiling” is the MWC. UTEP blew it by hanging onto Price, hiring Kugler, and hiring an underperforming Tim Floyd.
Butler isn't a Catholic school.

The Big East isn’t the Big East I/we grew up with. Far, far from must watch tv.

I stand corrected. I still like to old BE better.
I can agree with that, they used to be tough nosed teams and were always in the mix in the NCAA. UConn seems to be getting their steam back, Georgetown has definitely lost their mojo and Seton Hall and St. Johns are mediocre these days.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT