ADVERTISEMENT

If O-line size matters....

MinerInWisconsin

MI Miner Maniac
Nov 28, 2001
Then UTEP should be in great shape this season. Looking thru my new Phil Steele magazine at all the FBS projected starting O-lines, UTEP has the heaviest O-line in the country. I know that doesn't mean they are the best but it's good to see that our team does not have to rely on undersized linemen.

It was surprising to me that schools like Texas, Alabama, Ohio St and even Wisconsin (known for their beefy O-lines) were not quite as big as UTEP's line. Go Miners!

Last edited:
They're big, which is good, but can they move well? As we all know, they're not necessarily stationary positions (OT, OG, C). Creating holes for the RB's is, while vital, I believe to be secondary to pass protection for the QB. So, being big and quick will amount to great success.

Reactions: Tribalwarriorx
Then UTEP should be in great shape this season. Looking thru my new Phil Steele magazine at all the FBS projected starting O-lines, UTEP has the heaviest O-line in the country. I know that doesn't mean they are the best but it's good to see that our team does not have to rely on undersized linemen.

It was surprising to me that schools like Texas, Alabama, Ohio St and even Wisconsin (known for their beefy O-lines) were not quite as big as UTEP's line. Go Miners!

Big is good. Fast is better. Big and fast is best.

Exactly, when you see a linemen 20 yds. downfield blocking on a run or a guard/tackle pull across the backfield and deliver a knock out block you know your line is good. Some big linemen cannot move their feet fast enough to execute these kind of plays.

They allowed just one sack a game last year. Although we'll be more balanced passing this year, I believe that the line will be a difference maker this year.

I don't always agree with VegasMiner, but when I do, I prefer a Dos Equis............as a chaser! ;)

They allowed just one sack a game last year. Although we'll be more balanced passing this year, I believe that the line will be a difference maker this year.

Well, when your QB doesn't actual throw the ball too often, sacks given up will be limited.

Boy, I wish ECU was still in the conference. They had big ol' hogs that really pushed us around at their place a few years back. I would love to see Kug return the favor to a team like that.

The big nasty's just need to be a bit more nasty and move people. I'm expecting them to be more physical and play with more attitude. At least that's what I'm expecting.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT