ADVERTISEMENT

In which quarter vs. UTSA will we unleash Metz?

In which quarter will we let Metz air it out?

• First quarter

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Second quarter

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Third quarter

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Fourth quarter

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

FeralFelidae

MI Miner Maniac
Sep 1, 2003
In the last two games, the Miners have entered the game with a run-heavy game plan, but once falling behind have abandoned the game plan and let Metz do his thing and score a bunch of points.

Against UTSA, how far into the game will we be when we let Metz air it out?

Hopefully the 1st quarter if Kugler wants to win the game. UTSA is a better team than NMSU and IW, so if we have to start passing to catch up in late in the 4th quarter, we probably won't have the same result as we did in the NMSU and IW games. But knowing Kugler, we are going to run the ball 95% of the time in the first half.

Reactions: Tribalwarriorx
Can't believe this coach can be so grindy!
Would love to see UTEP open up with a Texas Tech/TCU attack!

I'm guessing Kugler sticks to his guns, per se, and opens up running to establish it and if it works, keep running. He'll only pass when they have too. He'll want to control the clock against UTSA and keep his defense (and his DBs) off the field.

Reactions: El Paso Chihuahuas
I'm guessing Kugler sticks to his guns, per se, and opens up running to establish it and if it works, keep running. He'll only pass when they have too. He'll want to control the clock against UTSA and keep his defense (and his DBs) off the field.
What good does it do to control the clock if it takes up 7 minutes to score (or more) and the other team scores in 90 seconds? I think the coaches need to learn some of the advantages of the spread, pass heavy offense. I'm all for big tough linemen who can open holes for running backs, but there's a reason most teams use the spread offense.

Last edited:
Hopefully the 1st quarter if Kugler wants to win the game. UTSA is a better team than NMSU and IW, so if we have to start passing to catch up in late in the 4th quarter, we probably won't have the same result as we did in the NMSU and IW games. But knowing Kugler, we are going to run the ball 95% of the time in the first half.
Disagree Totally, Kugler has made it beyond clear that they will pass more, so unless he's a liar we see them pass early n through out the game to set up run

Disagree Totally, Kugler has made it beyond clear that they will pass more, so unless he's a liar we see them pass early n through out the game to set up run
Why is it that all of us agree that throwing the ball will be the solution while Kugs is slow to change his philosophy? Hopefully this week will be a new result.

What good does it do to control the clock if it takes up 7 minutes to score (or more) and the other team scores in 90 seconds? I think the coaches need to learn some of the advantages of the spread, pass heavy offense. I'm all for big tough linemen who can open holes for running backs, but there's a reason most teams use the spread offense.

I totally agree with you on this. There is a reason why teams use the spread because (and I've said this before) it's an equalizer against bigger, faster teams. It takes advantage of natural spaces that are created by the flow of a defense and OL wise, they only need to block in zones. There's a lot more to it than that, but that's my less than 10 second explanation. lol

Reactions: LaserCoog
I'll piggy-back on Tribalwarriorx's response, the majority, maybe vast majority, of high school programs in Texas today run some variation of the spread option offense, most for the reasons you mentioned. As well as all major colleges in Texas. Maybe a connection?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT