ADVERTISEMENT

Independent Football Schedule

50 years ago we played with Arizona and Arizona St
40 years ago we played with BYU and Utah
30 years ago we played with Fresno and New Mexico
20 years ago we played with TCU and Boise
10 years ago we played with SMU and Houston

In 10 years, we be saying the same thing about Rice and UAB.

There’s no difference between ODU football and Tarleton St. Except UTEP fans will be at the game in Stephenville and more Tarleton fans will be at the Sun Bowl than ODU fans will ever. 11,000 showed up for ODU. That’s for a team with a 3-1 record. How many would have shown up for a 1-3 UTEP team?

It’s “retarded” to play in a basketball league with teams in Virginia and Florida. And it’s not like they’re the good teams in Virginia and Florida. CUSA will be unable to add any teams “close” to UTEP. It makes zero sense to stay in a far flung, 1 bid league, when you can likely join a closer 1 bid league.

You have to consider travel costs and sports other than football. Especially if you’re in the worst FBS conference.
That's one of the dumbest things I've ever read but I'm not suprised. CUSA is 10,000 times better than playing a conference full of schools transitioning from D2. The WAC is literally a D1 starter conference. Nobody is coming to games against WAC schools. Nobody wants to see football vs tarleton.

Reactions: nattybry and EMA884
That's one of the dumbest things I've ever read but I'm not suprised. CUSA is 10,000 times better than playing a conference full of schools transitioning from D2. The WAC is literally a D1 starter conference. Nobody is coming to games against WAC schools. Nobody wants to see football vs tarleton.
Oh, but you claim that UTSA is our biggest rival and they didn’t even have a football team until 10 years ago. I guess once Tarleton plays 10 years in FBS, they will be as legit as the UTSA program is?

By the time UTEP were to join the WAC, Dixie and Tarleton would have completed their transition to D1.

Nobody wants to see Old Dominion football here either!

Are you that f****** stupid? UTSA is in a big market with a 65,000 seat dome at their disposal. Tarleton is an ag school in a town of 20,000. I wonder which one would blow up..

People would rather see FBS football. Everyone knows that.

Old Dominion is a known quantity. People didn't come because the team was coming off a four year stretch where they won two games against FBS games. The game could have been against SMU, Tulsa of UNT. The opponent didn't matter. The crowds didn't come because they didn't believe in the team yet.

The last time we played ODU at home before this season was 2014 and they 25,000 people. They were second biggest conference home draw behind MTSU who got 27,000 to see UTRP clinch a winning season

Reactions: EMA884 and nattybry
We have never played in "bus league". We've always been far away for our conference mates. You hold out in C-USA. They can't join the WAC. There is no coming back from that. People will point to NMSU, it's completely different circumstances. 10 years ago we"tr in the same conference as SMU and Houston and now you're in a conference with Tarleton and ACU. That's a fall you don't get up from. The sponsors go running. What's left of the donors would go running. You could play basketball games in Memorial Gym and plenty of room. On a food night maybe 1500 show up. I love this school I've supported it financially for year. However if they joined the WAC and went indy in football I'm out and know there are lot more like me. It would hurt but not near as much as it would hurt to see them in conference with dixie f****** state and tarleton. No way in hell. I guarantee you in five years West texas a&m and UTPB will be in the WAC. Rumor is West Texas A&M will probably get an invite before the end of the year. What a f****** joke.
This right here, is Gospel 🙌

Are you that f****** stupid? UTSA is in a big market with a 65,000 seat dome at their disposal. Tarleton is an ag school in a town of 20,000. I wonder which one would blow up..

Old Dominion is a known quantity. People didn't come because the team was coming off a four year stretch where they won two games against FBS games. The game could have been against SMU, Tulsa of UNT. The opponent didn't matter. The crowds didn't come because they didn't believe in the team yet.

The last time we played ODU at home before this season was 2014 and they 25,000 people. They were second biggest conference home draw behind MTSU who got 27,000 to see UTRP clinch a winning season
"Old Dominion is a known quality," lmao. We had 25k for that game because that was the going rate back then... not because El Pasoans were jazzed up for a showdown with the Monarchs.

Aside from people on this site and the top layer of sports fans... most people... especially the bandwagoners wouldn't know the difference between. Tarleton and ODU.

I'm not saying I would love life in the WAC... and overall the new CUSA would be a better conference, but unless something unexpected happens the difference is negligible (assuming it was FBS by then).

"Old Dominion is a known quality," lmao. We had 25k for that game because that was the going rate back then... not because El Pasoans were jazzed up for a showdown with the Monarchs.

Aside from people on this site and the top layer of sports fans... most people... especially the bandwagoners wouldn't know the difference between. Tarleton and ODU.

I'm not saying I would love life in the WAC... and overall the new CUSA would be a better conference, but unless something unexpected happens the difference is negligible (assuming it was FBS by then).
I'll say the new WAC basketball lineup has a chance to be a nice little league. SFA and ACU have had a nice run over the last several years. And NMSU and GCU aren't bad. If this is the way it shakes out, it wouldn't be as strong as CUSA, but it wouldn't be a giant step backward. However, going indy then waiting for the WAC to go FBS would be horrible.

The biggest issue us that we control none of it. Our best option competition wise is to stick with the leftovers, but that's going to controlled by Marshall, ODU, USM, and LT. If they want to keep CUSA together, it's up to them. If they want to blow it up by going to the Sun Belt, it's up to them and we'll more than likely be relegated to Indy-WAC.

We picked the wrong 5 year period to suck at everything.

There will be no bandwagon for the WAC. That's to far a fall and no one will care. It would be over. The damage to the budget would be catastrophic.

There will be no bandwagon for the WAC. That's to far a fall and no one will care. It would be over. The damage to the budget would be catastrophic.
With all due respect, During UTEP’s, CUSA tenure….it’s gone down hill anyways, does anyone really care about playing UNCC or ODU all these years? It’s amazing that this is the 2nd set of Texas teams that have moved on, all the while, UTEP sits on its thumbs. UTEP should have taken the MWC (invite) if there was one, back in the Stull days. I don’t really see Senter and Wilson pulling off anything worth a darn for conference realignment. They need to find a way, to lobby donors, and the UT system on improving athletics. What good did a big stadium or a big basketball arena do? The 6 leaving, many play in small gyms and stadiums. You move up, either by being geographically fit (not UTEP) or a solid athletic program (UTEP can get there)

With all due respect, During UTEP’s, CUSA tenure….it’s gone down hill anyways, does anyone really care about playing UNCC or ODU all these years? It’s amazing that this is the 2nd set of Texas teams that have moved on, all the while, UTEP sits on its thumbs. UTEP should have taken the MWC (invite) if there was one, back in the Stull days. I don’t really see Senter and Wilson pulling off anything worth a darn for conference realignment. They need to find a way, to lobby donors, and the UT system on improving athletics. What good did a big stadium or a big basketball arena do? The 6 leaving, many play in small gyms and stadiums. You move up, either by being geographically fit (not UTEP) or a solid athletic program (UTEP can get there)
You can never become a solid athletic program with independent football. The WAC is a startup league for schools transitioning to d1. Even if we won people wouldn't care. I'm sure Golding will look for the first opportunity to leave. He certainly didn't come here to be back in the WAC.

A good analogy for UTEP in the WAC would be Sears. We would be the once big prominent company. Now after decades of failure we are down to twenty locations in podunk places. Not that many people even remember we were once prominent. Everyone knows it's over we are the only ones in denial.

GCU will leave the conference sooner rather than later. It's a bad conference. It would kill recruiting. If you're a recruit why would play at UTEP rather than UTSA, Rice, UNT, Texas State or UTA. They all play in better metro areas in better leagues. Failing and falling into the WAC is a stigma that can never be washed away. There is no coming back from that. Alot of our donors would be done myself included.

Reactions: SAMINERGIRL

UTSA plays in a 30 year old dome that they’re lucky to get around half full. They haven’t had 50k since their very first home game. They only had 42k for Baylor. They got around 30k for games vs KansasSt, Arizona, and Arizona St. What good does a 65k seat stadium do, if it’s not close to being full?

What does UTSA and Tarleton’s size have to do with UTEP? Especially now that UTSA is going the AAC?

Nobody here attends games because ODU, Charlotte, FAU, FIU, WKU, and most other CUSA schools are the opponent. When have you ever heard someone say, they can’t wait for a specific game with a CUSA team?

You can never become a solid athletic program with independent football. The WAC is a startup league for schools transitioning to d1. Even if we won people wouldn't care. I'm sure Golding will look for the first opportunity to leave. He certainly didn't come here to be back in the WAC.

A good analogy for UTEP in the WAC would be Sears. We would be the once big prominent company. Now after decades of failure we are down to twenty locations in podunk places. Not that many people even remember we were once prominent. Everyone knows it's over we are the only ones in denial.

GCU will leave the conference sooner rather than later. It's a bad conference. It would kill recruiting. If you're a recruit why would play at UTEP rather than UTSA, Rice, UNT, Texas State or UTA. They all play in better metro areas in better leagues. Failing and falling into the WAC is a stigma that can never be washed away. There is no coming back from that. Alot of our donors would be done myself included.
What conference is GCU going to, oh wise one?

Has the MWC ever made a public statement about wanting / not wanting a school for their non-football sports? Hawaii is football only. They have Colorado College for Women's Soccer so they are at least open to the idea. Maybe a realistic play would be for us to try and get into the MWC for all non-football sports. With some sort of agreement that 4 to 6 MWC schools schedule us every year.

4-6 MWC Games
1 - P5 Payday
1 - NMSU
1 - Cupcake

While unlikely the MWC would do that for us, it's not the most far fetched idea. That's 9'ish games right there. We could go to the UT system and try to play against a fellow UT school annually. Then schedule a MAC and/or Sun Belt school. They key would be a working relationship with the MWC.

Has the MWC ever made a public statement about wanting / not wanting a school for their non-football sports? Hawaii is football only. They have Colorado College for Women's Soccer so they are at least open to the idea. Maybe a realistic play would be for us to try and get into the MWC for all non-football sports. With some sort of agreement that 4 to 6 MWC schools schedule us every year.

4-6 MWC Games
1 - P5 Payday
1 - NMSU
1 - Cupcake

While unlikely the MWC would do that for us, it's not the most far fetched idea. That's 9'ish games right there. We could go to the UT system and try to play against a fellow UT school annually. Then schedule a MAC and/or Sun Belt school. They key would be a working relationship with the MWC.
MWC is holding out for a real “basketball school” like Gonzaga or Wichita St. Not UTEP.

If Utep did go indy. You think they could get their own TV deal with ESPN?? Does BYU have any TV deals??Then Schedule road games against Notre Dame and BYU. If not ESPN could try other TV stations. Man I should be Athletic Director . Imagine how much money UTep could make if they had like 4 money games?? Wouldn't they make more money than being in a crappy conference??

MWC is holding out for a real “basketball school” like Gonzaga or Wichita St. Not UTEP.

Utero doesn't go anywhere because of fans like you. Negative Nancy should be your new name. If you were on the Titanic you would've gone down with the ship. You would be complaning the rescue boats dont have seatbelts.

• Haha
Reactions: MineroFanatico
If Utep did go indy. You think they could get their own TV deal with ESPN?? Does BYU have any TV deals??Then Schedule road games against Notre Dame and BYU. If not ESPN could try other TV stations. Man I should be Athletic Director . Imagine how much money UTep could make if they had like 4 money games?? Wouldn't they make more money than being in a crappy conference??
Sounds like an easy job :rolleyes:

You should apply Fili. After all the reshuffling is done, Senter might retire or take a job at an FCS school.

Reactions: kickballpro

BYU has their own network and tremendous support from the LDS community.

Reactions: MineroFanatico

4-6 MWC Games
1 - P5 Payday
1 - NMSU
1 - Cupcake

Since UT started all this crap, maybe we can get them to get together an 8 figure sum to bribe us into the MWC.

Utero doesn't go anywhere because of fans like you. Negative Nancy should be your new name. If you were on the Titanic you would've gone down with the ship. You would be complaning the rescue boats dont have seatbelts.
On the contrary. UTEP is in this position because buying tickets to see Price, Kugler, and Floyd, told Stull “everything is fine, we enjoy this”. Because many UTEP fans accepted mediocrity, we are here now.

Also, I don’t hire the coaches, coach the games, or play in them.

You should apply Fili. After all the reshuffling is done, Senter might retire or take a job at an FCS school.
First thing I would do ask Aaron Jones and Will Hernández for some money.

Ask Khalid for some money .

Get TV deal with ESPN deportes

Hire Jordan Palmer Head Coach

Schedule home and home deal with Hawaii in football for next 5 years.
Schedule Army,Navy & Air Force every year.
road game deals with Irish,Texas,Texas Tech and A&M

• Haha
Reactions: homeskillet75
First thing I would do ask Aaron Jones and Will Hernández for some money.

Ask Khalid for some money .

Get TV deal with ESPN deportes

Hire Jordan Palmer Head Coach

Schedule home and home deal with Hawaii in football for next 5 years.
Schedule Army,Navy & Air Force every year.
road game deals with Irish,Texas,Texas Tech and A&M
With that plan I don't see how you're not the frontrunner to land the job.

With that plan I don't see how you're not the frontrunner to land the job.
Think of all the great promos! Chicken nuggets and Capri Suns for $3. Bring your blanket to game night. Count to ten on your hands, get 10 tickets for $10. Coloring books available at the merch stands!

I did however laugh my ass off at your comment that NoWins would’ve gone down with the Titanic because he’d complain that the rescue boats don’t have seatbelts. That was rich.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT