ADVERTISEMENT

Ingenious Strategy by Senter & Dimel

TenaciousD

Rookie
Jun 28, 2001
El Paso, TX
With realignment on the horizon, make ourselves more appealing to MWC by scheduling MWC teams and playing on national TV. Then allow those teams to blow us out and embarrass us. This way Senter can pitch UTEP as a team that can help other schools recruiting, attendance and donor support because they look so good on TV. No chance we jeopardize their chances at conference titles and bowl games. I think an invite is imminent. Very smart strategy. Me likey.

Apparently neither can do anything right. If they don't schedule MWC teams, half will bitch about that.
I would like to see UTEP play MWC teams more often in football (and especially in basketball), but maybe with a coach that doesn't bury his head in the ground before kickoff and can recruit players that can execute at a higher level? That would be nice. Just saying...

I would like to see UTEP play MWC teams more often in football (and especially in basketball), but maybe with a coach that doesn't bury his head in the ground before kickoff and can recruit players that can execute at a higher level? That would be nice. Just saying...
Agree. I like playing mountain west schools. It will nice to play them without Senter at AD and Dimel as coach.

One big problem is Wilson dumbly extended Senter contract.
I think Senter has a man crush on Dismel. Why else would he keep an incompetent Coach. I know money, money , money. But when do you realize your losing more money by keeping him.
I don’t have an issue with Dimel coaching this year. Luckily for him, last year didn’t go as planned and UTEP had an easier non-conference schedule than expected.

If Senter brings him back next season with only 3 or 4 wins, he will kill all ticket sales. Dimel has to win 5 or more to come back next year.

I want to try to convince myself that we are only three weeks into the season and the Miners are 2-1.

The 2000 team lost to Oklahoma 55-14, Texas A&M 45-17 and TCU 47-14. They managed to win a share of the conference crown.

The 2004 team lost to ASU 41-9 and Boise 47-31.

The 2005 team lost to Toledo 45-13.

I can’t say this team is as talented, nor are they coached as well as those teams but even the best Miner teams in the last 20 plus years took some nasty out of conferences losses. There has to be some positives in their start. Hypothetically speaking what if they start 3-1?

I want to try to convince myself that we are only three weeks into the season and the Miners are 2-1.

The 2000 team lost to Oklahoma 55-14, Texas A&M 45-17 and TCU 47-14. They managed to win a share of the conference crown.

I can’t say this team is as talented, nor are they coached as well as those teams but even the best Miner teams in the last 20 plus years took some nasty out of conferences losses. There has to be some positives in their start. Hypothetically speaking what if they start 3-1?
Like a lot of you I've been a Miner fan for a looong time. As far as I'm concerned never, ever give up. Beat the Lobos because that is now the only game that matters. I'll think about ODU later.

Why try to convince yourself of those things? They’re true.

Doesn't cushion the blow from last night but good points on the ooc losses some of our stronger Miner teams have taken.

Even the 2014 7 win team lost 55-3 to LT. I don't think anyone thought we were winning the west this year. Nothing really changes. We will struggle to achieve the lowly bar of 6 wins. We'll scratch and nail our way over teams as bad as us but will quickly be brought back to reality by programs that take football seriously.

Even the 2014 7 win team lost 55-3 to LT. I don't think anyone thought we were winning the west this year. Nothing really changes. We will struggle to achieve the lowly bar of 6 wins. We'll scratch and nail our way over teams as bad as us but will quickly be brought back to reality by programs that take football seriously.
Well of this is the standard now then I'm not too interested. I'm not expecting a national title, but we should be trying to compete for conference titles. I mean that should be a realistic goal for UTEP right. I just think our AD and current coach are going about it all wrong.

Well of this is the standard now then I'm not too interested. I'm not expecting a national title, but we should be trying to compete for conference titles. I mean that should be a realistic goal for UTEP right. I just think our AD and current coach are going about it all wrong.
I think we already have a good idea of what Senter considers a successful program at UTEP by looking back at his contract extension of Terry. Clearly, conference championships, or even being competitive enough to be in the conversation of conference championships, are not part of Senter's criteria as part of his evaluation. To make things worse, Wilson somehow chose to reward Senter with a long term extension (with a raise). With conference realignment on the horizon, it is difficult to imagine a scenario where UTEP is even able to maintain its current status with the lack of leadership in those two critical positions.

Last edited:
I don’t have an issue with Dimel coaching this year. Luckily for him, last year didn’t go as planned and UTEP had an easier non-conference schedule than expected.

If Senter brings him back next season with only 3 or 4 wins, he will kill all ticket sales. Dimel has to win 5 or more to come back next year.

Sorry, my friend, but Dismel has to go. Period. 5, 6 wins, whatever. We will NOT get there.

DIsMEL. MUST. GO.

Sorry, my friend, but Dismel has to go. Period. 5, 6 wins, whatever. We will NOT get there.

DIsMEL. MUST. GO.

This was a no win situation for whoever followed Kugler. The program was in shambles, broke, the talent was shit, the fanbase depleted......if Dimel goes, he will leave the program in a much better place.

I am not gonna argue Dimel should stay, but his tenure has not been a failure.

Nothing we've done in the first 3 weeks screams west division champions. We won't play another team as good as Boise or in a hostile environment like Friday night. None of the teams in our schedule have such a good home field advantage. Maybe this team is good enough to win 4 or 5 conference games. Granted that's not a conference title but not even Price's best teams could do that. I'm not sure if we'll finish with 3 wins or more than 6 but this ass whooping at Boise doesn't determine the rest of the season.

That’s why I believe the Miners should go Independent, FCS, or drop football. If all you do is lose games and not go bowling, being in a conference doesn’t matter.

DIsMEL. MUST. GO.
I hear ya and understand. This year he has to get better results. With last year being “different”, he should get this season to prove himself. Since he beat NMSU and BCU, he doesn’t “deserve” to be fired already.

Reactions: MinerInWisconsin
That’s why I believe the Miners should go Independent, FCS, or drop football. If all you do is lose games and not go bowling, being in a conference doesn’t matter.
Can't drop football, that means 85 female scholarships at a minimum are gone. Most likely if they drop football a couple other sports are going to go away on the guy side which would then mean well over a hundred females just lost scholarship opportunities. FCS is the best way to go. Fewer female scholarships will be lost and they have a chance to actually be able to compete with the facilities they already have.

Strategy or not, the 6 TOs did not help. But I do think the TOs hid something else to be more concerned about: Miner D cannot stop anybody. Boise was good but jeez, the D (esp backfield) was totally overwhelmed. Looking to see how they handle UNM with EP product Dumas making a name for himself already.

This right here is the most accurate not rose colored glasses or We are the the worst ever take I've seen. Yes I still believe Utep will win at least 5 and fight for that 6th win for a bowl. Did we really expect more? Boise St was always goi.g to beat us, the score was inflated with turnovers, not converting red zone and a missed block in the back on the punt return. With that said they were at 1 yard line to get within 2 tds and after that interception it was all over. Looking at this for what it really is, UTEP is on track to make improvement and sniff a bowl this year and next year compete for the upper 2 or 3 of Cusa west.

This right here is the most accurate not rose colored glasses or We are the the worst ever take I've seen. Yes I still believe Utep will win at least 5 and fight for that 6th win for a bowl. Did we really expect more? Boise St was always goi.g to beat us, the score was inflated with turnovers, not converting red zone and a missed block in the back on the punt return. With that said they were at 1 yard line to get within 2 tds and after that interception it was all over. Looking at this for what it really is, UTEP is on track to make improvement and sniff a bowl this year and next year compete for the upper 2 or 3 of Cusa west.
If we had a better coach I would agree.

Everyone know's UTEP basketball. From east to west Americans know UTEP "has a pretty good basketball team" know matter what you, I or what NoChingas thinks.

But the irony is how did UTEP get into CUSA? Mike Price, capital improvements and to certain extent Bob Stull (love him or hate him, he helped greatly in the transition). That's why.

So you go with what got you to prom, right?

a)History
b)"Larger than life" personnel/Coaches with wins on their resume. UTEP's has had two that I can recall, Don Haskins and Mike Price.
c) Commitment to athletics/improvements. As someone who brought up in a previous thread yesterday, Coastal Carolina. They can beat any mid major right now (they can whomp on BSU) and a good chunk of P5 schools but they have not committed to capital improvements, so no one will invite them. Heck, even NMSU has made improvements even with all their troubles.

We have Golding and all we can hope is that he is the real deal as advertised. He's been on the "big stage" and put together a fine program at ACU so "fingers crossed".

And then UTEP has Dimel. His resume is "eh" at the mid major level but has a good reputation as a "players coach" and good or bad he has said he is not a "Rah! Rah" coach like Price was (his words on a post game interview two years back, not my opinion). A players coach and a spotty resume and no improvement indicated against higher tier mid majors will just not get UTEP any invites.

It all falls on Golding. Let's hope he delivers.

Last edited:
Conferences don’t give a damn about basketball when it comes to realignment. Utep can win a national title and if their football team isnt up to par then it really doesn’t matter in the grand scheme of things. Look at Baylor. Football is the most important sport to focus on if UTEP hopes to get into a better conference.

Conferences don’t give a damn about basketball when it comes to realignment.....
thats-a-joke-right-youre-kidding.gif

Not even a little bit. Football generates far more revenue. Look at Kansas for example. Their basketball program is substantially better than their football program, yet their football program generates more revenue because of the TV contract.

I should add, that I'm not talking about Kansas individual licensing rights. Obviously, for basketball that's going to be way higher. I'm just talking about revenue that the conference members share with each other.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
Not even a little bit. Football generates far more revenue. Look at Kansas for example. Their basketball program is substantially better than their football program, yet their football program generates more revenue because of the TV contract.

I should add, that I'm not talking about Kansas individual licensing rights. Obviously, for basketball that's going to be way higher. I'm just talking about revenue that the conference members share with each other.
He will never understand that how well UTEP does in men’s basketball, is pretty meaningless now.

UTEP will likely be in a worse version of CUSA once this round of realignment is over. Not because of Floyd, but because of Stull keeping Price around too long, then hiring Kugler.

He will never understand that how well UTEP does in men’s basketball, is pretty meaningless now.

UTEP will likely be in a worse version of CUSA once this round of realignment is over. Not because of Floyd, but because of Stull keeping Price around too long, then hiring Kugler.
Agree 100%

UTEP is screwed if Glory Road and Joe Golding give us our best chance at upgrading conference affiliations.

UTEP is screwed if Glory Road and Joe Golding give us our best chance at upgrading conference affiliations.
UTEP is going nowhere, just like NoWins, unless Dimel pulls a miracle 180. However, in 2001 and 2002 the UTEP world was bleak and the sky was falling and everyone, including myself, was biatching and complaining on here.

But then things turned brighter as Price was hired and took UTEP bowling in year one. UTEP said bye, bye to the WAC and the year after the Sun Bowl was 45,000 plus came to see Briles and Kolb take on the Miners. The gloom and doom days appeared gone. Rab's picked up his trousers and self respect off the floor and booked it and along comes Billy who won the WAC Tournament by year two. The then SEC was rocking like an Iron Maiden concert in a South America. Students were making buying "Hulk Smash" hands and painting them orange as UTEP basketball tickets were scalped on Mesa street.

Billy left and Price underperformed, again. Fans were fed up. Kug walks in saying he was going to show El Paso real football but it was more like Mac Davis & Nick Nolte in North Dallas 40 and publicly declaring that Mike Price left a "dumpster fire" of a program while he made a new one, post AJ. Tim Floyd was underachieving and rotating recruits heavily. The Hamilton and Kap media press sabotage took UTEP to new high's in low's as UTEP was shamed nationally for his weird behavior. Ticket sales plunged and UTEP fan moral is lower than ever.

UTEP, as of right now, should beat UNM, ODU, USM and Rice. That's six wins and bowl eligibility. If Dimel loses just one of those, he's toast. I don't see how Senter can give him another year even if Dimel screams it from Scenic Drive that he was guaranteed five like he has been doing the past year and half.

But if he does do it and goes to a bowl and Golding has a good first year positivity will rebound. I saw it happen in '85, '88 , '99-2000, '03, '10 and '13 come to mind.

Like most FBS programs, UTEP football and basketball have a symbiotic relationship.

Reactions: JCorona
UTEP is going nowhere, just like NoWins, unless Dimel pulls a miracle 180. However, in 2001 and 2002 the UTEP world was bleak and the sky was falling and everyone, including myself, was biatching and complaining on here.

But then things turned brighter as Price was hired and took UTEP bowling in year one. UTEP said bye, bye to the WAC and the year after the Sun Bowl was 45,000 plus came to see Briles and Kolb take on the Miners. The gloom and doom days appeared gone. Rab's picked up his trousers and self respect off the floor and booked it and along comes Billy who won the WAC Tournament by year two. The then SEC was rocking like an Iron Maiden concert in a South America. Students were making buying "Hulk Smash" hands and painting them orange as UTEP basketball tickets were scalped on Mesa street.

Billy left and Price underperformed, again. Fans were fed up. Kug walks in saying he was going to show El Paso real football but it was more like Mac Davis & Nick Nolte in North Dallas 40 and publicly declaring that Mike Price left a "dumpster fire" of a program while he made a new one, post AJ. Tim Floyd was underachieving and rotating recruits heavily. The Hamilton and Kap media press sabotage took UTEP to new high's in low's as UTEP was shamed nationally for his weird behavior. Ticket sales plunged and UTEP fan moral is lower than ever.

UTEP, as of right now, should beat UNM, ODU, USM and Rice. That's six wins and bowl eligibility. If Dimel loses just one of those, he's toast. I don't see how Senter can give him another year even if Dimel screams it from Scenic Drive that he was guaranteed five like he has been doing the past year and half.

But if he does do it and goes to a bowl and Golding has a good first year positivity will rebound. I saw it happen in '85, '88 , '99-2000, '03, '10 and '13 come to mind.

Like most FBS programs, UTEP football and basketball have a symbiotic relationship.
Should? UNM, USM, Rice and ODU all should beat the Miners too. I don’t have faith in Dimel, he will be lucky to split those wins. 4 to 5 wins tops this year, and if that happens. I hope he is let go. For heavens sake, bring in a young hungry guy who wants to pass the damn ball!

Yeah, yeah, but where's Darren Hunt? ;)

I say this in jest because I like Darren. We were very friendly in the past. I miss his posts and just his being around. I considered him a friend.

What happened to Darren? I don't live in EP so I mostly knew him thru 'digs.

Reactions: Lil_Train
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT