ADVERTISEMENT

Is NMSU really going to play football this month?

Tarleton State coming into El Paso with their gas in tow.
6fc69950ac3ea19fdb3af3013b18b5c5.jpg

UTEP AD Senter welcoming both TSU and NMSU to the Sun Bowl during February:
mad-max-2-road-warrior-img3-1.jpg

2021 WAC Football
482197_1440x990.jpg

Local UTEP fans just wanting to steal the teams gas since El Paso's Marathon Oil Refinery detours gas to central Texas
gv0FfV9pdtTpMeO09JhtUo2rz9d77T_oioiL2KjDuLf1zTxei1sFcFOvyfh5Rwww1WKCUQnSQ3ED7miql1f9n4C8-sCyAeSEQyH5aXNYITmgvl9e95F4LyLJ9PWYIsTUW2BzBNnH

• Haha
Reactions: FeralFelidae
Hey, remember when Bob Stull tried to get NMSU to play their home games against UTEP in the Sun Bowl, which resulted in a couple of their games being cancelled?

Well, this season, UTEP could probably actually get NMSU to play a home game against UTEP in the Sun Bowl. Wouldn't that be worth it?

Hey, remember when Bob Stull tried to get NMSU to play their home games against UTEP in the Sun Bowl, which resulted in a couple of their games being cancelled?

Well, this season, UTEP could probably actually get NMSU to play a home game against UTEP in the Sun Bowl. Wouldn't that be worth it?

I hope the COVID restrictions are lifted in New Mexico by August 28th. If not, there is probably something really wrong!

It could if people would think outside the box. You did see the very first post in this thread, right? What did you think I was talking about?

I didn't go back to the first post, I just assumed you were talking about August. I don't believe it would be safe for our players to play in the spring. We're better off waiting till the games count.

It could if people would think outside the box. You did see the very first post in this thread, right? What did you think I was talking about?

It's a compliance violation...

In spring training only 12 of a team's 15 practices can have contact, and the first two must be non-contact. Of those 12, only eight can involve full-fledged tackling. Of those eight, only three can devote more than half their time to 11-on-11 scrimmaging, and the spring game counts as one of those three. So teams only get two pure practices of 11-on-11 scrimmaging.

UTEP already played its season.

Reactions: kickballpro
Even if UTEP could play, it would be completely pointless to play in a meaningless “scrimmage”. A win does absolutely nothing and a loss would turn off even more fans for the upcoming football season.

For guys that claim to not be NMSU fans, 2Step and Cube sure do know a lot about them and constantly bring them up.

For guys that claim to not be NMSU fans, 2Step and Cube sure do know a lot about them and constantly bring them up.
Heeeee's back. You are a complete jacka$$.

However, I do...

A) Enjoy the rivalry. It is our legacy. Took my son to his first NMSU v UTEP rivalry game (bball). I was proud to share with him like a pops taking his kid to a Metallica concert.

B) I really like and respect Coach Martin. He's doesn't gas light the rivalry. He owns his mistakes. Finally, you gotta admire a coach trying to keep it together at NMSU. Most would've booked.

C) Let's not kid ourselves, both A.D.'s goal is too leverage financial positions especially when the rivalry heats up (i.E.- NMSU coming into UTEP after ASU upset years ago or Price vs Mumme years).

D) No college team has played in the spring since the 1800's according to sports media guru's. A little history in our back yard. The national sports media has ears perked up. It's a win-win for UTEP and NMSU if pulled off.

Reactions: FeralFelidae
Heeeee's back. You are a complete jacka$$.

However, I do...

A) Enjoy the rivalry. It is our legacy. Took my son to his first NMSU v UTEP rivalry game (bball). I was proud to share with him like a pops taking his kid to a Metallica concert.

B) I really like and respect Coach Martin. He's doesn't gas light the rivalry. He owns his mistakes. Finally, you gotta admire a coach trying to keep it together at NMSU. Most would've booked.

C) Let's not kid ourselves, both A.D.'s goal is too leverage financial positions especially when the rivalry heats up (i.E.- NMSU coming into UTEP after ASU upset years ago or Price vs Mumme years).

D) No college team has played in the spring since the 1800's according to sports media guru's. A little history in our back yard. The national sports media has ears perked up. It's a win-win for UTEP and NMSU if pulled off.

Coach Martin is there because he had no other opportunities as a head coach, just like Dimel. Martin is 22-63 at NMSU. He’s still employed and nobody in their right mind would hire him away from there. With that being said, he still was able to win a bowl game.

If Dimel goes 7-6 and wins the Arizona Bowl, nobody is coming for him.

Coach Martin is there because he had no other opportunities as a head coach, just like Dimel. Martin is 22-63 at NMSU. He’s still employed and nobody in their right mind would hire him away from there. With that being said, he still was able to win a bowl game.

Probably wouldn't stop Senter from extending him.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
Martin has been at NMSU since 2013 and only has four more wins than Kugler, who hasn't been a hc in almost 4 years.

Reactions: Cube Jack
Still won a bowl game and we shouldn’t be losing to schools with head coaches like that.
Since that historic bowl win they've gone on to beat two separate FBS teams, find themselves without a conference, and are the only fbs team playing spring football. Really goes to show how meaningless that bowl win has been.

Sure I would love for UTEP to win a bowl game but I know it's not a program changing win.

Head coaches from FBS schools are somewhat of a prized commodity. Not my words, you can ask NFL teams and P5 schools or he'll, ask him. They have experience and are part of a special group.

Lee
Bailey
Nord
Price (retired after UTEP departure)
Kugler
Dimel (post Houston & Wyoming)

Lee & Kugler have lucrative asst. NFL coaching careers.

Where does Martin stack? Who knows? But he will not being filing for unemployment benefits if he quits or axed or mutual parting of ways.

Since that historic bowl win they've gone on to beat two separate FBS teams, find themselves without a conference, and are the only fbs team playing spring football. Really goes to show how meaningless that bowl win has been.

Sure I would love for UTEP to win a bowl game but I know it's not a program changing win.

Never said it was a program changing win. Despite all those negatives you wrote, they’re still 2-0 vs UTEP. And UTEP has 2 wins over FBS with an additional season to get it in. So great job proving your point about how superior you think UTEP is.

UTEP hasn’t won a bowl game since 1967 and never outside of the Sun Bowl. At least the shithhole Aggie program can say they have. What’s UTEP’s excuse?

Head coaches from FBS schools are somewhat of a prized commodity. Not my words, you can ask NFL teams and P5 schools or he'll, ask him. They have experience and are part of a special group.

Lee
Bailey
Nord
Price (retired after UTEP departure)
Kugler
Dimel (post Houston & Wyoming)

Lee & Kugler have lucrative asst. NFL coaching careers.

Where does Martin stack? Who knows? But he will not being filing for unemployment benefits if he quits or axed or mutual parting of ways.

Of course he won’t. He’s white and has been coaching a long time. Him and Dimel don’t seem to be great coaches. Maybe things would have been different for them at different schools, but I really doubt it.

Never said it was a program changing win. Despite all those negatives you wrote, they’re still 2-0 vs UTEP. And UTEP has 2 wins over FBS with an additional season to get it in. So great job proving your point about how superior you think UTEP is.

UTEP hasn’t won a bowl game since 1967 and never outside of the Sun Bowl. At least the shithhole Aggie program can say they have. What’s UTEP’s excuse?
UTEP isn't superior and neither is nmsu because of that bowl win. Both programs are horrible. Imo a 7-6 season with zero wins over a winning team isn't really anything special. Yeah they won a "bowl" but what did they get from it? Absolutely nothing, as four years later they're as awful as they've always been. I would take the 04/05 UTEP seasons over a third rate bowl win.

That they hire crap coaches, they Suck and the Aggies suck too.

That touchdown that just happened was hilarious. It reminded me of playing football in the backyard.

23-7

I’m watching the game and Tarleton has 5 offensive starters out last minute due to COVID protocols, including their starting QB, yet they are beating NMSU 23-7?

NMSU just does not look very good on defense; they are not very big, taking some really bad angles and most concering is that they are getting “out athleted” by Tarleton’s back-up QB. NMSU’s new JC QB also doesn’t look good in the passing game. NMSU’s only score was a kick return. Oh and to make it worse, Tarleton went into the wind this entire quarter.

If Dimel loses at home to this NMSU team in 6 months, then he shouldn’t be allowed to make it to week 2.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT