ADVERTISEMENT

It's done and over. On to UT Arlington. Another tough team.

utep2step

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 10, 2001
Well, everybody pretty much knows how they're doing. They gave new coach Shaka Smart UT team all they could handle. They are very poised, do not get rattled and another great rebounding team. Very similar to NMSU but they don't have an NBA prospect on their team because they play very well as a team. Gritty, fantastic shooters from the arc, and strong. Transitioning is their strength from watching the UT game. UTEP pulls those TO's like they did against NMSU and Saturday night is going to be a long night. If UTEP gets by them, this could possibly be a RPI builder. I can't see UTA not winning the Sun Belt and going dancing unless the collapse a la Old Dominion did late last year.

I would imagine after this year, probably before it's even over, Kevin Hervey will be considered an NBA prospect. The kid is good. At 6'7" and 210 lbs, he can rebound, he can score and he has a motor. Sounds familiar, huh?

Well, everybody pretty much knows how they're doing. They gave new coach Shaka Smart UT team all they could handle. They are very poised, do not get rattled and another great rebounding team. Very similar to NMSU but they don't have an NBA prospect on their team because they play very well as a team. Gritty, fantastic shooters from the arc, and strong. Transitioning is their strength from watching the UT game. UTEP pulls those TO's like they did against NMSU and Saturday night is going to be a long night. If UTEP gets by them, this could possibly be a RPI builder. I can't see UTA not winning the Sun Belt and going dancing unless the collapse a la Old Dominion did late last year.
Times have really changed since I last lived in El Paso in the early 80s, and then again in the early 90s. Never would have thought that UTEP would have fallen behind many of the other teams in the state of Texas when it came to recruiting. At least it appears that way, when we are mentioning that UT Arlington is a formidable foe. That just doesn't feel right to me, but it is what it is.

Reactions: kickballpro
Times have really changed since I last lived in El Paso in the early 80s, and then again in the early 90s. Never would have thought that UTEP would have fallen behind many of the other teams in the state of Texas when it came to recruiting. At least it appears that way, when we are mentioning that UT Arlington is a formidable foe. That just doesn't feel right to me, but it is what it is.
Utep had the 12th best recruiting class in the country so we didn't fall behind UT Arlington in recruiting lol Every year there's a small team that is just really good, due to a great player like Curry at Davidson or a JR/SR experienced team.

can't use one year to determine our relative position in the college sports world....but I agree of all the teams in the region TX Arlington is who I would not associate with being a tough game. Looking at UTA's schedule they should be battle tested if anything.

Utep had the 12th best recruiting class in the country so we didn't fall behind UT Arlington in recruiting lol Every year there's a small team that is just really good, due to a great player like Curry at Davidson or a JR/SR experienced team.

I hate to say this but we are on the same level as UTA. Over the last ten years they have the same number of ncaa tournament appearances as we do. They are more than one player. Hervey is a future first round draft pick. Their pg Neal is better than Artis. Their big men are big men needless to say are better than ours. I think we are deeper than they are but this game scares the hell out of me. They are by far the best team we will have played. I think this is a pivotal game in the Floyd era. Most people dont realize how good UTA is. If we lose people will be in complete meltdown.

I hate to say this but we are on the same level as UTA. Over the last ten years they have the same number of ncaa tournament appearances as we do. They are more than one player. Hervey is a future first round draft pick. Their pg Neal is better than Artis. Their big men are big men needless to say are better than ours. I think we are deeper than they are but this game scares the hell out of me. They are by far the best team we will have played. I think this is a pivotal game in the Floyd era. Most people dont realize how good UTA is. If we lose people will be in complete meltdown.

And in what way will people be in complete meltdown? They already don't go to games, so how will you even notice?

And in what way will people be in complete meltdown? They already don't go to games, so how will you even notice?

We do very well for basketball attendance. We still draw 7,000 at minimum for non conference games. Very few programs can match our non conference basketball attendance. If we lose to UTA I could see our attendance dropping by 1500 a night. What concerns me is fan apathy toward UTEP sports in general.The apathy and negativity around the programs is the worse ive seen since the 02-03 season. What disturbs me more is that the athletic department seems to be oblivious to it.

Reactions: allminer
can't use one year to determine our relative position in the college sports world....but I agree of all the teams in the region TX Arlington is who I would not associate with being a tough game. Looking at UTA's schedule they should be battle tested if anything.

UTA is in the top 10 in offensive rebounding percentage.

That's quite possibly the most retarded thing you have EVER posted. That will NEVER EVER EVER HAPPEN! Did I say EVER??

Let's not be ridiculous, k?

What's ridiculous -- losing to UTA, attendance dropping, or both?

Attendance dropping 1500 a game. This isn't football. We probably have 5000 season tickets sold already. How is our attendance going to drop 1500 a game?

Now losing to UTA, that's a probably. BUT....I think we rally and pull it out. Homer speaking...

Geez....we lost one game to a rival and good basketball team on the road. Sounding the alarm the season is over, we are now at the level of Sul Ross and the season is over etc. With "fans" like you we don't need the NCAA, the officials or Big Boys to screw us, we can get that done all by ourselves......

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT