ADVERTISEMENT

Jamal Bienemy

So? What have the Marshall and Middle Tennessee wins done for the league? UTEP hasn’t won any games as a CUSA member either. Not sure what point you’re trying to prove.

Marshall brings a very good football program, name recognition, sold brand and big fan base. Everybody knows who Marshall is. Their hoops program is decent, but in FBS it's all about football and Marshall has a very good program.

MTSU has a good football program. Good basketball program. Good facilities. Murfreesboro is probably the best college town in CUSA. Huntington is probably number two.

Both schools are far away superior to any school in the WAC. The WAC is the D1 conference for transitioning schools who can't get into any other conference.

Reactions: utep2step
Marshall brings a very good football program, name recognition, sold brand and big fan base. Everybody knows who Marshall is. Their hoops program is decent, but in FBS it's all about football and Marshall has a very good program.

MTSU has a good football program. Good basketball program. Good facilities. Murfreesboro is probably the best college town in CUSA. Huntington is probably number two.

Both schools are far away superior to any school in the WAC. The WAC is the D1 conference for transitioning schools who can't get into any other conference.

The WAC does not sponsor football, football was never mentioned, so football talk is irrelevant.

Marshall ****ing sucks in basketball. They have 1 NCAA appearance the last 33 years! They have 1 NIT appearance in the last 32 years! They are a trash basketball program! Even saying that, they still have accomplished more than UTEP has recently. That’s sad!

Middle Tennessee has 3 NCAA appearances the last 30 years and 2 NITs the last 30 years! And all of them came the last 8 seasons. If you make 5 NCAA/NITs in 30 years, you ****ing suck too! Like Marshall, they too have done more than UTEP recently!

How many times have you been to Murfreesboro? How many times have you been to Tennessee?

Reactions: Autograph Boy
How many times have you been to Murfreesboro? How many times have you been to Tennessee?[/QUOTE]

I'm in Tennessee monthly for business. I'm in Nashville about once a month. I've probably been to Murfreesboro three times this year. I don't go to Murfreesboro everytime I'm in Nashvile but I probably get down there on half the trips.

CUSA is lucky to have Marshall for football. But let's be realistic, no p5 conference wants them but they do the best with where they're at. They are not like ODU who thinks they belong in the American Conference and if they beat VT they think they belong in the ACC.

Which group of basketball schools would you rather join?

Group A
Total wins / NCAAT Appearances

Team 1: 1812 / 23
Team 2: 1484 / 6
Team 3: 1377 / 17
Team 4: 1352 / 5
Team 5: 1233 / 9
Team 6: 1160 / 11
Team 7: 1149 / 3
Team 8: 1128 / 4
Team 9: 844 / 11
Team 10: 829 / 15

Group B
Team 1: 1329 / 18
Team 2: 978 / 11
Team 3: 599 / 0
Team 4: 391 / 0
Team 5: 273 / 0
Team 6: 234 / 0
Team 7: 195 / 1
Team 8: 103 / 0
Team 9: 37 / 0

Which group of basketball schools would you rather join?

Group A
Total wins / NCAAT Appearances

Team 1: 1812 / 23
Team 2: 1484 / 6
Team 3: 1377 / 17
Team 4: 1352 / 5
Team 5: 1233 / 9
Team 6: 1160 / 11
Team 7: 1149 / 3
Team 8: 1128 / 4
Team 9: 844 / 11
Team 10: 829 / 15

Group B
Team 1: 1329 / 18
Team 2: 978 / 11
Team 3: 599 / 0
Team 4: 391 / 0
Team 5: 273 / 0
Team 6: 234 / 0
Team 7: 195 / 1
Team 8: 103 / 0
Team 9: 37 / 0

Those numbers mean nothing without context. Why not list teams 11-14? What CUSA teams would you pick over NMSU and Grand Canyon to be in a basketball conference with UTEP? None of course

Rice hasn’t been since 1970, you’re telling me they’re going to be better at basketball than Grand Canyon and Cal Baptist?

Those numbers mean nothing without context. Why not list teams 11-14? What CUSA teams would you pick over NMSU and Grand Canyon to be in a basketball conference with UTEP? None of course

Rice hasn’t been since 1970, you’re telling me they’re going to be better at basketball than Grand Canyon and Cal Baptist?
Sure I can add the bottom three team. Easy.

546 / 4
409 / 1
322 / 1

Still a lot better than the bottom three in the WAC.

NMSU hasn’t won an ncaa game without cheating since 1970. Grand Canyon hasn’t ever made the NCAAT. That’s the class of the WAC. Very impressive!

The fact is no one in the WAC has won a NCAAT game since 1970.

Six of the nine teams have never made the NCAAT.

Ask NMSU if they would rather be in WAC or CUSA and I guarantee you they would gladly jump over.

Ask NMSU if they would rather be in WAC or CUSA and I guarantee you they would gladly jump over.[/QUOTE]

No debating that.

NMSU would join CUSA, as it would benefit their football program, but that invite is never coming.

Yes, being in CUSA is “better” than being in the WAC and Independent, but it’s not by much. And if it weren’t for football, it’s marginal AT BEST.

Grand Canyon has only been eligible for 3 seasons. Seattle moved back to D1 in 2008. Utah Valley has only been eligible since 09-10, they were a JC in 2003. Cal Baptist still isn’t eligible. Yes UTRGV and Chicago State ****ing suck and have never been. UMKV sucks too, but they’re leaving. Bakersfield is leaving too and they made it in 2016. So you’re shitting on GCU who has 0 appearances in 3 years of being eligible. Let’s look at CUSA

FIU - 1 appearance in 1995
FAU - 1 appearance in 2002
Rice - 0 appearances in 50 years!
Charlotte - 0 appearances since 2005
USM - 1 appearance since 1991
LaTech - 0 appearances since 1991
UTSA - 4 appearances all-time, 3 as a #16 seed
UNT - 3 appearances all-time
MTSU - 3 appearances since 1989
Marshall- 1 appearance since 1987

All of that is trash. Garbage basketball programs, except MTSU if they can turn it around soon. No better than anybody in the WAC, except for RGV and Chicago State.

“Bright spots”
UAB - 6 appearances since 1999
ODU - 5 appearances since 2005
WKU - 0 since 2013 and last 2 before that were as a #16 seed

You’re going to tell me that CUSA is far and away better? Would you rather be in a basketball league with UAB, ODU, and WKU or NMSU, GCU, and Cal Baptist?

You’re going to tell me that CUSA is far and away better? Would you rather be in a basketball league with UAB, ODU, and WKU or NMSU, GCU, and Cal Baptist?
UAB, ODU, and WKU. Too easy. I rather we associate ourselves with teams found on this list.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_teams_with_the_highest_winning_percentage_in_NCAA_Division_I_men's_college_basketball

#8, #29, and #36.

Where’s NMSU, GCU, and Cal Baptist on the list?

For the record adding NMSU to CUSA completely kills the WAC and strengthens CUSA. Instead of us going to nmsu (wac) they should come to us (CUSA) so we can both benefit.

Last edited:
UAB, ODU, and WKU. Too easy. I rather we associate ourselves with teams found on this list.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_teams_with_the_highest_winning_percentage_in_NCAA_Division_I_men's_college_basketball

#8, #29, and #36.

Where’s NMSU, GCU, and Cal Baptist on the list?

For the record adding NMSU to CUSA completely kills the WAC and strengthens CUSA. Instead of us going to nmsu (wac) they should come to us (CUSA) so we can both benefit.

NMSU won’t be in CUSA. The other 13 schools would not expand the footprint, even if it’s only 45 miles. Texas St, App St, and others would get in before NMSU.

Old Dominion has never made the Sweet 16 and has only won 3 Tournament games in their history. UAB has made it 3 times, once since 1982, and WKU has made it 3 times since 1966. I am using “your rules” and not counting one that was vacated.

You’re going to send your teams to Virginia, Kentucky, and Alabama instead of New Mexico, Arizona, and California because they beat up on Sun Belt level teams since the 1960s??! That is not fiscally responsible for alleged “superiority” of schools from further away.

WKU, ODU, and UAB are by far the best basketball programs in CUSA, but to align UTEP with them, makes no ****ing sense.

Having been to Murfreesboro once I can say their football stadium isn't much. The atmosphere was much better in Ruston.

Both are better than Rice or UAB though.

UTSA is great because half the fans are cheering for UTEP.

Ask NMSU if they would rather be in WAC or CUSA and I guarantee you they would gladly jump over.

No debating that.[/QUOTE]
Yup. They have been hoping for a realignment and a CUSA member leaves or UTEP jumps to MWC.

Interesting conversation about our neighbors up north.

3 Questions for the panel;

As of today would you rather

1. Have Coach Terry or Coach Jans?
2. The NMSU roster or UTEP roster?
3. How would NMSU have fares in CUSA in 201Jan's?

Interested in your opinion.

1) Jans
2) NMSU
3) I think they would be a Top 3 team every year and go to the NCAA Tournament on a regular basis.

1 - Jans easy. Would take Menzies over Terry too
2 - NMSU easy. But not with Terry as coach. He would screw it too
3 - I assume you’re asking about this past season? How NMSU would have fared in CUSA. They would have battled it out with UNT for the championship.

1. Jans
2. NMSU roster
3. NMSU would have been top 4 in CUSA for sure this year and most of the past 10 years. Probably 2 or 3 'ships in that time, imo.

I'm surprised that the MWC hasn't come after NMSU as a 12th member in basketball (to offset their football only membership with Hawaii). That could keep them at 18 league games instead of going up to 20.

That would really piss me off (because I want UTEP there), but if the numbers made sense it could strengthen the MWC as a basketball conference.

I'm surprised that the MWC hasn't come after NMSU as a 12th member in basketball (to offset their football only membership with Hawaii). That could keep them at 18 league games instead of going up to 20.

That would really piss me off (because I want UTEP there), but if the numbers made sense it could strengthen the MWC as a basketball conference.

No chance. NMSU would want a home for their football team. As dumb as it may sound, NMSU basketball to the MWC doesn’t do them very many favors. They wouldn’t be top dog and basically be guaranteed a NCAA tournament spot every year like they are now.

Unless the MWC can boot SJSU basketball and swap them with NMSU, it doesn’t make the MWC that much better of a league. NMSU doesn’t beat too many highly regarded teams out of conference.

IMO it’s because the MW realizes how meaningless beating up on WAC teams is. If NMSU would have won a few games in the tournament and made a couple of sweet 16 runs it could be a different story.

"LAS CRUCES – New Mexico State athletics balanced its Fiscal Year 2019 budget, but it didn’t come without dipping into hard-earned reserves and taxing the individual programs.

Director of Athletics Mario Moccia believes that the addition of three football guarantee games this year will provide some breathing room in FY20.

It was the ninth time in the past 10 years New Mexico State’s athletics budget has balanced, but it shrinks an already thin margin for error..."

https://www.abqjournal.com/1357958/nmsu-has-to-dig-deep-but-makes-budget.html

Now if you're commish Judy MacLeod from CUSA or commish Craig Thompson would NMSU be a candidate?

major boosters upset with lack of progress, lack of support by Las Crucens

Boosters upset after recently winning a bowl game and going to the NCAA Tournament every year? I wish UTEP boosters were that upset by doing poorly in football and basketball!

NMSU sold out 2 basketball games last year and, for a city of 100,000 people, they do fine with their attendance.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
Boosters upset after recently winning a bowl game and going to the NCAA Tournament every year? I wish UTEP boosters were that upset by doing poorly in football and basketball!

NMSU sold out 2 basketball games last year and, for a city of 100,000 people, they do fine with their attendance.

How dare you question this man! He once said that El Paso was “CRT’s town” and that UTEP recruits were “too nervous” to shoot 3 pointers well in a basketball game. He knows his stuff!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT