ADVERTISEMENT

JMU Beat Writer says SBC bound teams will leave for 2022

MinerInWisconsin

MI Miner Maniac
Nov 28, 2001
If that happens then 2 teams that were likely on UTEP's schedule next season would no longer be in CUSA. So if true then ODU, USM and Marshall would be gone and CUSA would have 11 schools for the 2022-2023 school year. ODU and USM would be replaced on our football schedule by 2 of FIU, MTSU, WKU, Charlotte.

If that happens then 2 teams that were likely on UTEP's schedule next season would no longer be in CUSA. So if true then ODU, USM and Marshall would be gone and CUSA would have 11 schools for the 2022-2023 school year. ODU and USM would be replaced on our football schedule by 2 of FIU, MTSU, WKU, Charlotte.
Yeah, that’s why I posted in the thread where others were already counting wins next year, to hold your horses.

Good luck on those ACC hopes ODU. Remember, win something. Building a stadium is not the be all and end all.

Reactions: Cube Jack
We are TRULY going to be in the bottom of the barrel conference

Maybe for the 1st couple of years only.
Sam Houston is the best team in FCS and Jacksonville St. has history and is doing amazing upgrades. So from that aspect, there's much more upside than
when CUSA added UNC Charlotte and ODU! 4 of the 9 teams this year are in a bowl games and La Tech will rebound I'm sure. Basketball will be one of the better mid level conferences. We'll see what happens with new TV contract, but I don't see it as awful as some people do.

Sam Houston is the best team in FCS and Jacksonville St. has history and is doing amazing upgrades. So from that aspect, there's much more upside than
when CUSA added UNC Charlotte and ODU! 4 of the 9 teams this year are in a bowl games and La Tech will rebound I'm sure. Basketball will be one of the better mid level conferences. We'll see what happens with new TV contract, but I don't see it as awful as some people do.
Nobody wanted to get in bed with Falwell and those nuts at Liberty. However, they're a bigger a more valuable brand than any school in CUSA. They're well positioned to be the top g5 program. They certainly increase the value of CUSA. I'm not high on the FCS callups. I think JSU will be more successful. I think SHSU may struggle. It's still a one bid basketball league. Thats fine. Liberty, WKU and NMSU can fight it out for the auto bid. All in all we got very lucky with realignment. We were able to only have to invite two FCS schools and kept two schools from the MAC. I don't think the media deal will be great but it will at least be equal to and probably a little more than the current deal.

Nobody wanted to get in bed with Falwell and those nuts at Liberty. However, they're a bigger a more valuable brand than any school in CUSA. They're well positioned to be the top g5 program. They certainly increase the value of CUSA. I'm not high on the FCS callups. I think JSU will be more successful. I think SHSU may struggle. It's still a one bid basketball league. Thats fine. Liberty, WKU and NMSU can fight it out for the auto bid. All in all we got very lucky with realignment. We were able to only have to invite two FCS schools and kept two schools from the MAC. I don't think the media deal will be great but it will at least be equal to and probably a little more than the current deal.
So I guess you're not one that has faith in Golding or liked the hire? Seeing as you don't think UTEP will challenge for a bid.

IMO not all gloom and doom. We retain a tourney bid and now with 9 we have a better chance, CUSA was an 1 bid conference anyway. Likely going to retain bowl games and CUSA never had access to HL games anyway. (UTSA had a great season and where did that get them?) Conference revenue what little we have goes 9 ways and not 12. Who we play makes little difference never was thrilled with the likes FAU or ODU so replacing them with JSU and SHSU is a wash for me. TV could be better but that could change. I will still buy season tickets go to games and support UTEP as I always have. News-anyone not in the power five is bottom of the barrel, no matter how a conference membership spins it.

So I guess you're not one that has faith in Golding or liked the hire? Seeing as you don't think UTEP will challenge for a bid.
I like Golding fine. UTEP basketball is not on the same level of the schools I mentioned. The program needs to be burned down an rebuilt. What I mean by that is that we cling to an inflated largely overstated legacy. There alot that needs to be fixed structurally with program before we can begin to compete regardless of who the coach is. This is a much tougher job than most want to acknowledge. Hopefully one day we can build the program into a winning. I don't see that as being possible right now. I certainly don't want to waste anymore money on that program than we already have.

Reactions: Rocketsr
IMO not all gloom and doom. We retain a tourney bid and now with 9 we have a better chance, CUSA was an 1 bid conference anyway. Likely going to retain bowl games and CUSA never had access to HL games anyway. (UTSA had a great season and where did that get them?) Conference revenue what little we have goes 9 ways and not 12. Who we play makes little difference never was thrilled with the likes FAU or ODU so replacing them with JSU and SHSU is a wash for me. TV could be better but that could change. I will still buy season tickets go to games and support UTEP as I always have. News-anyone not in the power five is bottom of the barrel, no matter how a conference membership spins it.
Cincinnati had a really good year last year and was ranked in the preseason. UTSA did not and was not. UC beat Notre Dame in South Bend. UTSA beat Illinois and Memphis. If the roles/opponents were reversed and UTSA did not lose to UNT, they might have been closer to making a NY6 bowl.

You can’t blame CUSA if you can’t even beat all the teams on your schedule.

Reactions: Rocketsr
I like Golding fine. UTEP basketball is not on the same level of the schools I mentioned. The program needs to be burned down an rebuilt. What I mean by that is that we cling to an inflated largely overstated legacy. There alot that needs to be fixed structurally with program before we can begin to compete regardless of who the coach is. This is a much tougher job than most want to acknowledge. Hopefully one day we can build the program into a winning. I don't see that as being possible right now. I certainly don't want to waste anymore money on that program than we already have.
I disagree totally. Men's basketball can be turned around in a very short time. That was proven by Barbee and Gillespie. The facilities are decent and there is history albeit from years ago. It takes 2 or 3 guys in recruiting to turn things around. Definitely not a burn it up and restart situation like Dimel had to do in football. Basketball turn around are not equal 5o that of football at this level.

I disagree totally. Men's basketball can be turned around in a very short time. That was proven by Barbee and Gillespie. The facilities are decent and there is history albeit from years ago. It takes 2 or 3 guys in recruiting to turn things around. Definitely not a burn it up and restart situation like Dimel had to do in football. Basketball turn around are not equal 5o that of football at this level.
How many seasons should Golding have to “turn it around”?

How many times does this have to be said, Falwell is not involved with Liberty any longer

Last edited:
Reactions: Cube Jack
Sorry but You are delusional about this. Right now the conference is already so bad that the regular season conference winner does not get into the Dance, ONLY the tournament winner. No one else.
It’s going to be 100x worse once we add this bunch of FCS schools. Face it, UTEP got left in the cold at the kids table and were about to be even lower

Sorry but You are delusional about this. Right now the conference is already so bad that the regular season conference winner does not get into the Dance, ONLY the tournament winner. No one else.
It’s going to be 100x worse once we add this bunch of FCS schools. Face it, UTEP got left in the cold at the kids table and were about to be even lower
In mbb it's been a 1 bid conference. That's an autobid. Won't be any worse. With NMSU, UTEP, MT, WKU, Liberty, LT you have 6 pretty good basketball schools out of 9. That's probably a better ratio of good to bad than we have now.

You are delusional or just don't understand or watch college sports lol You just made no sense in saying that the regular season champ doesn't get into dance and that it's gonna be 100x worse with adding 2 FCS schools. I hate to be the one to break it to you, but Sam Houston and Jacksonville St. are D1 in Basketball! Oh and Sam Houston is a pretty good Men's Basketball team and Jacksonville St. isn't as bad as teams like Rice, FAU, etc... Oh and Liberty and NMSU are good in Basketball!!! Try and keep up or at least google the correct information!

Reactions: chicotown
You are delusional or just don't understand or watch college sports lol You just made no sense in saying that the regular season champ doesn't get into dance and that it's gonna be 100x worse with adding 2 FCS schools. I hate to be the one to break it to you, but Sam Houston and Jacksonville St. are D1 in Basketball! Oh and Sam Houston is a pretty good Men's Basketball team and Jacksonville St. isn't as bad as teams like Rice, FAU, etc... Oh and Liberty and NMSU are good in Basketball!!! Try and keep up or at least google the correct information!
Lmao are you putting us on or are you really this dumb? You’re putting us on right ?? You think Sam Houston and Jacksonville State are an upgrade over what we’re losing? Face it, those who could leave our awful conference did. We were left over to be paired with garbage FCS schools. NMSU is good at basketball ? How many NCAA tournament games have they won in the last 15 years? Winning a conference over a bunch of nobodies generally garners them a #15 seed and a 1st round loss. How very impressive. I’m sorry if you think that’s an improvement

In mbb it's been a 1 bid conference. That's an autobid. Won't be any worse. With NMSU, UTEP, MT, WKU, Liberty, LT you have 6 pretty good basketball schools out of 9. That's probably a better ratio of good to bad than we have now.
How about in football ? If the conference is better now than it was before then why wouldn’t we want to stay here? Wouldn’t you assume if we could go to the MWC or AAC we would? Let’s stop putting lipstick on a pig here. We’re about to be left in the dust

How about in football ? If the conference is better now than it was before then why wouldn’t we want to stay here? Wouldn’t you assume if we could go to the MWC or AAC we would? Let’s stop putting lipstick on a pig here. We’re about to be left in the dust
Nothing has changed. CUSA had the lowest media deal of all G5's and we would constantly battle it out with either the MAC or old SB for last place.

The only point we're making is that even though we've lost all the schools to the SB and AAC we we're still the worst football conference and will continue to be it.

Lmao are you putting us on or are you really this dumb? You’re putting us on right ?? You think Sam Houston and Jacksonville State are an upgrade over what we’re losing? Face it, those who could leave our awful conference did. We were left over to be paired with garbage FCS schools. NMSU is good at basketball ? How many NCAA tournament games have they won in the last 15 years? Winning a conference over a bunch of nobodies generally garners them a #15 seed and a 1st round loss. How very impressive. I’m sorry if you think that’s an improvement
You're an idiot, I'm done! You keep calling them FCS teams, but are referring to basketball, when they're D1. Stop drinking when you respond bro, you sound like an idiot seriously!

The delusional poster here is you. You are a troll and have nothing real to add here. Pretending that you are a Miner fan is not giving you cover.

Reactions: bamfor and nattybry
No one said it was better in football by the way. So don't put words in people's mouth to win an argument you already lost. The difference will be very marginal not a 100X worse like you seem to think. You can bet that with 9 teams UTEP will get about the same or a little more than with the existing contract. There will be at least 4 bowl tie ins with 9 teams as opposed to 7 with 14. In Basketball the RPI history shows it'll be better, that's already a fact! It's not ideal, no one said that and would we rather be in MWC, Duh, but it's not as bad as some seem to think or it could've been.

Reactions: chicotown
No one said it was better in football by the way. So don't put words in people's mouth to win an argument you already lost. The difference will be very marginal not a 100X worse like you seem to think. You can bet that with 9 teams UTEP will get about the same or a little more than with the existing contract. There will be at least 4 bowl tie ins with 9 teams as opposed to 7 with 14. In Basketball the RPI history shows it'll be better, that's already a fact! It's not ideal, no one said that and would we rather be in MWC, Duh, but it's not as bad as some seem to think or it could've been.
If 5,000 people attend SHSU games when they’re winning, how many people do you think want to watch them on TV? A network executive isn’t going to believe FIU is getting a ton of TV viewers when they have 200 people at their games.

The next media deal will be baddddddd

The next tv deal will still remain the worst of the G5's. Does it really make a difference if we're making 400k or 100k?

Or how about instead of splitting the 17 million college football playoffs distribution 14 ways nows its split 9 ways?

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
Honestly I HOPE you’re right and I’m wrong but I doubt it

Conference perception… not actual conference strength… all you have to do is look at our ncaa results from the past 4-5 tournaments …. We are a lot better overall than people think

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT