ADVERTISEMENT

Jones Boys

The future is bright for this high school kids who put in the effort to make it to the next level.
We should thank Coach Kug who has to take some of the credit.

GO Miners...

Thanks to Kugler for listening to his assistant coaches already on staff and signing the Jones brothers one month into his 2013 campain. The greater appreciation goes to Mike Price for recruiting both Jones brothers heavily and offering schollies to both of them early in the recruiting process way before CMP even thought of retiring.

Last edited:
Thanks to Kugler for listening to his assistant coaches already on staff and signing the Jones brothers one month into his 2013 campain. The greater appreciation goes to Mike Price for recruiting both Jones brothers heavily and offering schollies to both of them early in the recruiting process way before CMP even thought of retiring.

Factually incorrect. Price never offered Alvin, Kugler is the one who gave him the chance. Kugler even said that when he decided to offer Alvin, that he had no idea what position he would play in College, but he thought Alvin was a good enough athlete that they could find something for him. Now he is approaching being an All-Conference LB. The article linked above even has a quote confirming this:

"... When coach Kugs came he's the one who offered me."

Last edited:
Alvin was suppose to gray-shirt. Signing both was a condition to get Aaron so its factually accurate. Other schools wanted only Aaron. Kugler didn't get hired in January, recruit the Jones and get them to sign on NSD one month later. CSK knew the deal. Of course Alvin would say that, only the head coach is authorized to make the offer. Now if Klugler eventually gave him a full schollie then CSK is Alvin's hero.

Last edited:
Your claim is wrong and that is according to both Aaron and Alvin themselves. Here it is directly from them:

>“He had a couple of (scholarship) offers, nothing super big,” Alvin Jones said this week. “Me, I didn’t have any. I hadn’t planned on going to UTEP. I probably wasn’t even going to play football.”

Coming out of El Paso Burges, Aaron chose UTEP over Texas-San Antonio and New Mexico State, the only other schools to offer him a scholarship. No one made Alvin an offer until Miners coach Sean Kugler, newly hired at the time, invited him aboard in January 2013, not long before signing day.

They’ve made the most of it while helping UTEP win seven games and go to a bowl last season.

“It’s a dream come true,” Aaron Jones said. “That (playing together in college) was our goal ever since we were little. To achieve it has been amazing. I’m glad coach Kugler gave us the opportunity to still play together.”

Alternate possibility

If not for Kugler’s late scholarship offer, Alvin might be at Oregon these days — just enjoying Ducks games from the student section.

He was looking at Oregon, just to go to school up there, if he didn’t get any offers,” Aaron said."<

http://lubbockonline.com/sports-red-raiders-football/2015-09-11/keeping-joneses-twins-spark-utep

Reactions: El Paso Sports Fan
Why does El Paso get under recuited ? I think with Jones doing well that should wake up other school. To come and recruit this area.

Your claim is wrong and that is according to both Aaron and Alvin themselves. Here it is directly from them:

>“He had a couple of (scholarship) offers, nothing super big,” Alvin Jones said this week. “Me, I didn’t have any. I hadn’t planned on going to UTEP. I probably wasn’t even going to play football.”

Coming out of El Paso Burges, Aaron chose UTEP over Texas-San Antonio and New Mexico State, the only other schools to offer him a scholarship. No one made Alvin an offer until Miners coach Sean Kugler, newly hired at the time, invited him aboard in January 2013, not long before signing day.

They’ve made the most of it while helping UTEP win seven games and go to a bowl last season.

“It’s a dream come true,” Aaron Jones said. “That (playing together in college) was our goal ever since we were little. To achieve it has been amazing. I’m glad coach Kugler gave us the opportunity to still play together.”

Alternate possibility

If not for Kugler’s late scholarship offer, Alvin might be at Oregon these days — just enjoying Ducks games from the student section.

He was looking at Oregon, just to go to school up there, if he didn’t get any offers,” Aaron said."<

http://lubbockonline.com/sports-red-raiders-football/2015-09-11/keeping-joneses-twins-spark-utep

Never said Alvin would have accepted the grey-shirt. Kudos to CSK for offering both but CMP laid the groundwork.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT