ADVERTISEMENT

Katia leaves Utep

Lame he isnt even a starter. Lol jk Does she think she can transfer to the same school that he does??
No idea. I’m sure she will have much better offers than he will. He is a solid rotation guy, but probably wants more of a featured role offensively like he did at his other school.

Reactions: minerfan_14
There is a very infamous story about a stabbing that was covered up by UTEP involving Ebell. I don't want to drag up the past but it was an embarrsent. He was a cancer in the locker room.
I knew several people on that team and heard Ebell discussed multiple times. Never was he described as a cancer. The stabbing was covered up ? No arrest. No media coverage? Nothing ? Bullsh*t

Reactions: denverutep
I knew several people on that team and heard Ebell discussed multiple times. Never was he described as a cancer. The stabbing was covered up ? No arrest. No media coverage? Nothing ? Bullsh*t
Whatever you say. You're a t-shirt horn fan.

Tyler Ebell is a Deputy Sheriff in Ventura County and was put in the Ventura HS hall of fame back a few years ago, doubt he was anything but a model citizen while here and continues to be.
Good for him. I'm glad he found a career after college. In 2005 he only played five games. He missed the last seven if season due to an undisclosed injury. That was the stabbing. He later got arrested for assault in LA the following May.

I'm very happy he turned his life around. He was not a model citizen in college. Props to him for writing a different and successful chapter after college.

Do you guys doubt cops can be mother ****ing criminal bastards?
And so can the criminals. He was 100 percent charged with the assault and plead no contest.

The fact that they still allowed him to be a police officer after this incident is a huge credit to the mother...ing cops that you put down.

Secondly, here is an El Paso Times article referring to the mysterious fate of Ebell:

Reactions: Lil_Train
And so can the criminals. He was 100 percent charged with the assault and plead no contest.

The fact that they still allowed him to be a police officer after this incident is a huge credit to the mother...ing cops that you put down.

Secondly, here is an El Paso Times article referring to the mysterious fate of Ebell:
I believe Ebell was also part of the 2002 incident where they jumped a student for being a "fagg*ot" and a "fuc*ing Jew."

• Wow
Reactions: FarWestTexas
I believe Ebell was also part of the 2002 incident where they jumped a student for being a "fagg*ot" and a "fuc*ing Jew."
Yes, that is the first and second story that I posted. It does not mention him in the first article because he was not a successful NFL player like Manning, but in the second, it sure mentions his connection to the incident.

Reactions: JCorona

He probably fit right in.

Bigger conference, deeper pockets, better program.

Not sure what wouldn't make sense about that.

She moves to a team that isn't going to go into the tournament the next 2 years. Their 2 best players return and play her position. She is a star and the face of the program this program and will be a role player at another.

Its a better program but that's not saying alot since UTEP isn't a good program. But is it a P5 program worth moving out for? And lets face it, deeper pockets, its a womens basketball program.

She moves to a team that isn't going to go into the tournament the next 2 years. Their 2 best players return and play her position. She is a star and the face of the program this program and will be a role player at another.

Its a better program but that's not saying alot since UTEP isn't a good program. But is it a P5 program worth moving out for? And lets face it, deeper pockets, its a womens basketball program.
I agree with this but I still think that UTEP is a better basketball school than Tulsa. Yes, we have dipped but it was not too long ago that UTEP handed Tulsa plenty of losses. My hopes are still that we will return to our glory days.
Katia's departure is disappointing but I'm at the point of just shaking my head and keeping on moving forward. There are those that believe that the student athlete should have opportunities to improve their situation, just like a coach. While it makes for a good debate, it doesn't do away with the key difference that the coaches are professionals in a career field and the players are student athletes. These student athletes have an amazing opportunity to play collegiate athletics, regardless if the school is a Power 5. How many people on this board can actually state that they played D1 athletics on a full ride scholarship? It may be old fashioned but my opinion is that collegiate athletics is a form of an apprenticeship where the athlete has the opportunity to grow as a person and mature. More importantly, the athlete learns what it is to be committed to something. Just like the military. It has been a long-standing process in our society, for people to start at the bottom and to move up into the journeyman ranks and then into leadership. It builds character.

In today's world, I understand that my argument is moot but it certainly will not take away from what I believe. I still wish these players the best success in whatever they choose to do or where they choose to go but I certainly do not envy any coach who has to deal with the current practices in place.

I agree with this but I still think that UTEP is a better basketball school than Tulsa. Yes, we have dipped but it was not too long ago that UTEP handed Tulsa plenty of losses. My hopes are still that we will return to our glory days.
Katia's departure is disappointing but I'm at the point of just shaking my head and keeping on moving forward. There are those that believe that the student athlete should have opportunities to improve their situation, just like a coach. While it makes for a good debate, it doesn't do away with the key difference that the coaches are professionals in a career field and the players are student athletes. These student athletes have an amazing opportunity to play collegiate athletics, regardless if the school is a Power 5. How many people on this board can actually state that they played D1 athletics on a full ride scholarship? It may be old fashioned but my opinion is that collegiate athletics is a form of an apprenticeship where the athlete has the opportunity to grow as a person and mature. More importantly, the athlete learns what it is to be committed to something. Just like the military. It has been a long-standing process in our society, for people to start at the bottom and to move up into the journeyman ranks and then into leadership. It builds character.

In today's world, I understand that my argument is moot but it certainly will not take away from what I believe. I still wish these players the best success in whatever they choose to do or where they choose to go but I certainly do not envy any coach who has to deal with the current practices in place.
I would be cool with this but it has to be both ways. Guarantee the scholarship for all four years. If a coach miscalculated the talent of a player then they're stuck with them until graduation. No forcing them out and replacing them. Can't expect loyalty from a player when the university doesn't offer it themselves.

Looks like a done deal: As long as there's no legislation in the matter, it will keep on happening and programs like UTEP will suffer the consequences.

Reactions: Rocketsr
Too bad for Katia.

Joe Pleasant is averaging 6.8/2.9 at ACU after transferring back from Witchita State.

2 years ago he averaged 10.5/5.5 at ACU in only a few more minutes played.

Too bad for Katia.

Joe Pleasant is averaging 6.8/2.9 at ACU after transferring back from Witchita State.

2 years ago he averaged 10.5/5.5 at ACU in only a few more minutes played.
That’s surprising to me. Wonder if he’s been playing through injury or something along those lines.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT