ADVERTISEMENT

Keitha looking to head back home

Wait a minute keitha has been at utep 16 years and to the ncaa tourney twice? I guess uts cause the bar is set low for womens sports.

Wait a minute keitha has been at utep 16 years and to the ncaa tourney twice? I guess uts cause the bar is set low for womens sports.

We all know that sentence doesn't tell the whole story about her success.

And the WNIT finals and quarterfinals (while winning the CUSA regular season title that season)...

Were there people that lumped Adams in with Floyd? I'm asking because I never heard anyone say she needed to be fired. I feel like Stull was adressing the sub par seasons for both teams more than anything.

None of the fans have ever asked for her to be fired. I felt it was unfair to address her in the same sentence as TF. Considering that out of football, men's and women's basketball she is the only current coach with conference championships and post season wins at UTEP.

She was coming off a 29 win season, CUSA title, deep NIT run and her team was on the edge of an NCAA at large bid. If the women's tournament had 68 teams she would have gone dancing. If TF was coming off a similar season not many would have questioned his 12 game losing streak.

Why not address the football team that underachieved with seven home games and the easiest schedule in the nation. A team with two all Americans and at least three players that will play on Sunday.

Her name did not deserve to be in that email.

Im not trying put down Adams. Im just saying it took her some time. She didnt build it right away.

When Adams arrived, the program had never finished hire than 3rd in the conference standings. They had never played a post season game or even made it past the conference tournament semifinals.

In her 3rd season she won 16 games and finished 4th. Her 6th season she won a school record of 22 games and the season following that she went unbeaten in conference and won 28 games. She didn't take over a program that had a National Title and coming off 6 postseasons in 7 years.

I hope she doesn't get the job. She is an asset to El Paso and a good soul. Period!

This would be a risky move for Keitha. She has a great job at UTEP, and has job security. She is the highest paid women's coach in cusa. She makes makes 320,000 a year. Keitha hasn't been able to build a consistant winner at UTEP. She builds teams in four year cycles. Year one the team is really bad, year two they are mediocre, year three they have a winning record, year four they are great. Then the cycle starts all over. At Wichita State their previous coach made the ncaa tournament three years in row. Keitha's four year cycle wouldn't be good enough at Wichita State. She would get fired. Whereas at UTEP she has job security and is beloved. She has built the program from nothing and has tons of built up equity in the community. Given this and the money she makes, I cant see her leaving for Wichita State. Few women's coaches have as good a situation as Keitha has at UTEP.

This would be a risky move for Keitha. She has a great job at UTEP, and has job security. She is the highest paid women's coach in cusa. She makes makes 320,000 a year. Keitha hasn't been able to build a consistant winner at UTEP. She builds teams in four year cycles. Year one the team is really bad, year two they are mediocre, year three they have a winning record, year four they are great. Then the cycle starts all over. At Wichita State their previous coach made the ncaa tournament three years in row. Keitha's four year cycle wouldn't be good enough at Wichita State. She would get fired. Whereas at UTEP she has job security and is beloved. She has built the program from nothing and has tons of built up equity in the community. Given this and the money she makes, I cant see her leaving for Wichita State. Few women's coaches have as good a situation as Keitha has at UTEP.

UTEP had to offer that pay. La Tech was the Memphis for women's hoops when UTEP joined and a Sandra Rushing just wouldn't have cut it and Keitha came to UTEP with supposedly a good juco pipeline (at least that's what I remember reading back then) and Stull was questioned if he was committed to fielding a competitive women's program, which I think he really was. He just gives coaches all the time in the world at the d1 level to do it.

With Wichita State going to the American, she gets opportunities to play, upset, break UCONNs streak. Things at CUSA aren't appealing.

Job security and adoration did not stop Billy Gillispie, Doc Sadler and Tony Barbee from leaving to bigger schools. If she were to take Wichita St. job and fall flat on her face I am sure she will still have the opportunity to land on her feet at a school comparable to UTEP.

UTEP had to offer that pay. La Tech was the Memphis for women's hoops when UTEP joined and a Sandra Rushing just wouldn't have cut it and Keitha came to UTEP with supposedly a good juco pipeline (at least that's what I remember reading back then) and Stull was questioned if he was committed to fielding a competitive women's program, which I think he really was. He just gives coaches all the time in the world at the d1 level to do it.
Rushing has had success at central arky. Would you guys call her again? The F bomb machine could return???

Reactions: FarWestTexas
I don't know about that. But the pay, and AD who gives you to eternity to build a conference contender and facilities I would think attract some impressive resumes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT