ADVERTISEMENT

Knight defending Floyd

Knight says 'Floyd has done an excellent job under difficult circumstances.'

We all agree on that, what we are pissed about is that for 7 years we've had difficult circumstances.

Reactions: USAFminersfan
"The Miners do not have good guard play. They have excellent guard play."

Knight says 'Floyd has done an excellent job under difficult circumstances.'

We all agree on that, what we are pissed about is that for 7 years we've had difficult circumstances.
With all the posts about bringing BCG back, I thought, why not Barbee? He was a great recruiter and built a team here. Besides the fact that his wife apparently hates El Paso, wouldn't he want another crack at being the head honcho? So what happened at Auburn?

Then I looked at Wikipedia:
The Barbee era at Auburn was fraught with off the court issues. Following the 2011–12 season, Auburn point guard Varez Ward was arrested on charges of point shaving. Of the 21 players that Barbee signed while at Auburn, only 9 remained on his roster in his 4th season due to player dismissals and transfers.

It sure wasn't like that when he was at UTEP. Maybe there really is something going on with the current crop of recruits.

With all the posts about bringing BCG back, I thought, why not Barbee? He was a great recruiter and built a team here. Besides the fact that his wife apparently hates El Paso, wouldn't he want another crack at being the head honcho? So what happened at Auburn?

The Barbee era at Auburn was fraught with off the court issues. Following the 2011–12 season, Auburn point guard Varez Ward was arrested on charges of point shaving. Of the 21 players that Barbee signed while at Auburn, only 9 remained on his roster in his 4th season due to player dismissals and transfers.

It sure wasn't like that when he was at UTEP. Maybe there really is something going on with the current crop of recruits.

It's an epidemic....Coaches have to control these kids or it will end their coaching career. It's not just about wins and loses anymore.....

And that turnover cost him his job

"Fourteen teams in the league. Usually, there are about five good ones — and that includes UTEP. The other nine teams drag down the league's RPI and it inevitably becomes a one bid league."

So UTEPs RPI of 325 isn't dragging down the league? What about last season when we finished 215? The only Floyd team that has finished with a good RPI was his first under Barbee's players which finished 59 but that was seven years ago. Since then UTEP has floated around the 100 mark. These last two season UTEP has not being one of the "five good ones."

"If this is to perennially be a one bid league, that tournament needs to rotate."

How quickly he forgot UTEP has hosted twice under Floyd and failed to win it. Of the two times UAB has hosted they've only won once. Other teams can come into the Don and win the tournament and other teams have gone into Birmingham and earned the autobid. This excuse needs to go out the door along with Floyd.

Then why is he experiencing the kind of player turnover that Floyd is experiencing? I get it...you hate Floyd and of course we are all disappointed with our basketball program but these problems are happening with all types of coaches not just the "old school dicks".

Then why is he experiencing the kind of player turnover that Floyd is experiencing? I get it...you hate Floyd and of course we are all disappointed with our basketball program but these problems are happening with all types of coaches not just the "old school dicks".

What I know is Barbee attracted and retained talent here, building a very good team -- a team that hung with Butler in a brutal first round draw.

Reactions: UTEP05

Maybe...just maybe... our coaching staff should be judged based on how they navigate the changing Collegiate landscape.

Floyd is operating under the same circumstances as most other schools, he's just doing a piss poor job of handling it.

Either way, this "national" transfer epidemic does not explain why we haven't won a conference title in the worst basketball conf in the nation. I guess UAB and the like are powerhouse schools that aren't affected?

And that turnover cost him his job
Yes in part it did, but when you have a player accused of point shaving among other off the court issues, combined with not winning it was bound to happen. UTEP had the gambling issues but I'm not aware of any other off the court issues. I believe these problems has been handled by the Coach before it became an issue. UTEP has had winning seasons every year (except year 2). I am interested to see how this season turns out. Hopefully he can win with the players who want to be here.

Maybe...just maybe... our coaching staff should be judged based on how they navigate the changing Collegiate landscape.

Floyd is operating under the same circumstances as most other schools, he's just doing a piss poor job of handling it.

Either way, this "national" transfer epidemic does not explain why we haven't won a conference title in the worst basketball conf in the nation. I guess UAB and the like are powerhouse schools that aren't affected?

What is the changing collegiate landscape? I'm not sure what that means. Does that mean let the kids do what they want, kiss their a**, turn the other way when they do stupid sh*t off the court, let them practice how they want, let them set the player rotation for their games, let them show up to class when they want, let them disrespect the coaching staff, smoke weed during halftime, steal from teammates, let them flunk out? I know I'm being very sarcastic but a lot these kids are pains in the a** and a lot of them feel entitled because they were the sh*t in high school. A lot of them were probably able to do what they wanted without question. I believe the "new era" coaches are going to have problems down the road because they don't have any "institutional control" of their programs. Yes, they can win for a while as long as they "look the other way" but it will eventually catch up to them. Even old time coaches such as Larry Brown are getting caught up in this game in order to win. I would rather lose with a coach who has control of the kids than win with a coach who only cares about winning at any cost. UTEP will be okay. Just run a clean program. We have been on probation before. I don't think any us want UTEP to go through that again just to win a few games that may be forfeited in the future.

Last edited:
Reactions: FiliUTEP
Cause I'm a dumb azz...
lolab090209.jpg

Reactions: LaserCoog
What is the changing collegiate landscape? I'm not sure what the means. Does that mean let the kids do what they want, kiss their a**, turn the other way when they do stupid sh*t off the court, let them practice how they want, let them set the player rotation for their games, let them show up to class when they want, let them disrespect the coaching staff, smoke weed during halftime, steal from teammates, let them flunk out? I know I'm being very sarcastic but a lot these kids are pains in the a** and a lot of them feel entitled because they were the sh*t in high school. A lot of them were probably able to do what they wanted without question. I believe the "new era" coaches are going to have problems down the road because they don't have any "institutional control" of their programs. Yes, they can win for a while as long as they "look the other way" but it will eventually catch up to them. Even old time coaches such as Larry Brown are getting caught up in this game in order to win. I would rather lose with a coach who has control of the kids than win with a coach who only cares about winning at any cost. UTEP will be okay. Just run a clean program. We have been on probation before. I don't think any us want UTEP to go through that again just to win a few games that may be forfeited in the future.

You're presenting a false choice.

A coach can and must relate to Millenials AND maintain institutional control. Most successful college coaches these days do it masterfully.

Oh, and they also know how to use technology and social media.

Reactions: UTEP05
You're presenting a false choice.

A coach can and must relate to Millenials AND maintain institutional control. Most successful college coaches these days do it masterfully.

Oh, and they also know how to use technology and social media.
Presenting a false choice? Please explain that to me. Maybe I'm too old school to see your point. I'm 48 and I am have trouble understanding why coaches have to change their style of coaching to accommodate the players. Can you imagine Coach Haskins changing his style of coaching? Coach was Coach for over 30 years and he did it his way. Kids were different over the decades he coached but they came to him because they knew he would make them the best players they could be. Kids are just in it for themselves now. It's not about the team anymore it's about "what can you do for me"? I guess if changing coaches is the answer then so be it. I guess a revolving door of coaches is better than having a steady leader who wants to be here.

A Haskins-type is a rare breed. The iron-fisted approach can still work for an undisputed, proven winner like, say Saban.

The problem for Floyd is he's only an undisputed, proven winner in his own mind.

Reactions: UTEP05 and JCorona
I love these responses without any facts. Please educate me on the off court problems you are referring to? Let's keep it to the last few years.

Floyd having spats with other coaches and shouting matches with the media.

Winn calling Floyd a liar.

That should be enough right there.

I'm 48 and I am have trouble understanding why coaches have to change their style of coaching to accommodate the players.

Any great teacher will change to accommodate their student. Accommodating somebody does not mean giving them a free pass, it means making it easier for them to master the subject. Not everybody does things or masters things in the same way,

You are Bob Stull and Tim Floyd's favorite type of person.

The sad part is it seems like Floyd doesn't have control of his players and still loses.

Define control. Maybe you don't follow UTEP because they have won nearly 20 games a year since Floyd has been here which used to be the standard. Now that Conference USA sucks and is a one bid league is that Floyd's fault? You are obviously a very smart person with all of the answers so please provide one.

Define control. Maybe you don't follow UTEP because they have won nearly 20 games a year since Floyd has been here which used to be the standard. Now that Conference USA sucks and is a one bid league is that Floyd's fault? You are obviously a very smart person with all of the answers so please provide one.

Control as in the players respond to his coaching methods. I watched a segment on Western Michigan head coach P.J. Fleck. That guy is awesome! He's upbeat, praises when needs to, and at the same time has control over his team. There is a reason why they are undefeated and playing in the Cotton Bowl.

Winning 20 games now doesn't mean a thing.

Here's a thought- win the CUSA tournament and get in the Big Dance.

Any great teacher will change to accommodate their student. Accommodating somebody does not mean giving them a free pass, it means making it easier for them to master the subject. Not everybody does things or masters things in the same way,

Here's a thought- win the CUSA tournament and get in the Big Dance.[/QUOTE]

So if the next coach wins 20 plus games every year, wins the conference regular season title but fails to win the CUSA tournament and does not get UTEP into the Dance what should we do? Fire the coach?

Control as in the players respond to his coaching methods. I watched a segment on Western Michigan head coach P.J. Fleck. That guy is awesome! He's upbeat, praises when needs to, and at the same time has control over his team. There is a reason why they are undefeated and playing in the Cotton Bowl.

Yes he is a great football coach. Let's see how long this act works at a big school. Kids get tired of this style also.

So if the next coach wins 20 plus games every year, wins the conference regular season title [/QUOTE]

Depends what he does in the NIT.

Yes he is a great football coach. Let's see how long this act works at a big school. Kids get tired of this style also.

Kids get tired of coaches who are upbeat, get praised, and who provide who a great atmosphere?

Floyd having spats with other coaches and shouting matches with the media.

Winn calling Floyd a liar.

That should be enough right there.
If you were constantly being attacked how would you handle this situation? Winn is not credible trust me. We are way better off without his low class, lying, butt. I love how you defend a player you know nothing about. Trust me I know what he was and what he is.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT