ADVERTISEMENT

Kugler.... Stubborn from the beginning....

Aug 29, 2012
.... I have to admit that I was really excited when Kugler was hired; one of our own, no BS coach, and the commitment to win with academically sharp athletes.

The first sign: --- I scratched my head when he picked Leftwich (no size/unproven skills at D1 level) over Garrett Simpson (Mike Price Recruit). I thought, well he's the coach he knows better, but then I realized how wrong he was. Giving Simpson the "holder" duties was a major mistake. I think Simpson would have been a better fit for us but then.... Kugler insisted on the run, run, run,.... it was inevitable. It was obvious that there was a "rift" between Kugler and Simpson but few will admit to it. No QB was ever going to make it in a Kugler offensive (run) mind. Showers was just as average as they come.

Second: Coach Kugler recruiting El Paso. IMO, once in a blue moon will you get a pair of Jones' as talented out of El Paso High School Football . The talent in El Paso is just too far and few to compete at any level.... only a handful will emerge (R. Mickens, B. Young, B. Davis). El Paso kids competing against D1 athletes from mid-majors is not going to work.

Third: No team chemistry, I sit in the UTEP sideline and I notice that the players are really not into it. They really don't care if they win or loose. I saw a group huddle where a coach was giving them defensive instructions and instead, I counted three UTEP players laughing at the AT&T Dance Cam on the Jumbo Screen, down by 21 points! Unacceptable!! Also, I've been to all home games this year and I notice how the opposite teams stick together, cheer each other, jump and raise the "4" as the 3rd quarter ends.... not with UTEP. This team is so far apart and no one really cares.

Fourth: Offensive Line, Coach Kugler's "bread and butter", "the biggest line in college football" well guess what? They aren't that good, coach Kugler built this team on his Offensive Line "mentality" and the fact is that they aren't that good. Total disappointment... Aaron Jones gets some good blocks from time to time, but it's just all by himself for the most part.

Lastly: I noticed that some fans on the UTEP sideline tonight were calling out some of the players, I noticed Kugler didn't like it but oh well, it's called frustration.... I paid hundreds of dollars for my season tickets and the saddest part was that my son didn't want to go and "see them loose", that's what hurts the most but he's too young to understand that we must support our team no matter what. On the Kugler's post-game interview tonight, he mentioned that the fans should not take it out on the players.... well coach: time to bring down the curtain on your UTEP journey and let the fans turn the page in a new chapter of UTEP football, for better or worse. It is over.

Like most on here I really wanted Kugler to succeed. More for UTEP's sake than his but still, whoever the coach is, I want them to be successful. This is year 4 and progress should be evident. Time to make the change and not wait for another year of misery to go buy. And this time Stull, please hire a coach with some successful HC experience at some level and one that will install an offense that actually is exciting to watch and scores some points.

Reactions: UTEP05
The stubborn streak in Kugler is what has led to his downfall. I read a tweet or blog post recently that said the difference between Les Miles, recently fired by LSU and Nick Saban, Alabama HC was that Saban adapted and evolved to fit the times and Miles did not. Obviously a different level of coaching but the comparison works.

Reactions: UTEP05
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT