ADVERTISEMENT

Lack of optimism for UTEP Football?

Im actually really hoping for a bad year in football (yes I know some of you will give me shit for this, but its a sacrafice for the future. Nothing personal against the current players) so our president can pull her head out. We need drastic change and bigger plans. By this time next year I hope we have a new AD and football coach. We may be looking for a new MBB coach as well.

There's only going to be so much more realignment before it's stops. We need to make moves ASAP. I'm interested to see what will happen with the PAC 12 and MWC
All a bad year will do is set the program back further. No reason to hope for that.

UTEP to me is a football school that got lucky in basketball. I believe our good buddy Dimel will have a 7-8 win season coming up with a bowl win. Recruiting for the last two years looks good on paper with more speed on defense coming in this year. However, I believe that coach Joe is a decent coach, but will take until 2024 to show progress... I like his style and should show good progress in years upcoming.
But, as we know football pays the bills and I look for the Miners to make some major noise this year.
LET GET READY TO RUMBLE IN THE SUN BOWL...

from Hollywood ... lets all stay focused and buy your season tickets now ...

What games do you think utep will win? Next season will be a much more difficult schedule than the previous two.
UTEP probably would've beaten Northwestern last season. Northwestern did fire their godawful DC, so they hope to have a better defense. But they are coming off a rotten 1-11 season where they lost to Southern Illinois.

UTEP has to go into that game with the attitude that they can win it.

UTEP probably would've beaten Northwestern last season. Northwestern did fire their godawful DC, so they hope to have a better defense. But they are coming off a rotten 1-11 season where they lost to Southern Illinois.

Utep is awful on the road but I hope you're right. Getting a win against a big ten team would be great.

Next hurdle in the program. Beat a P5 school.

What games do you think utep will win? Next season will be a much more difficult schedule than the previous two.
We’re playing like 3 fcs teams and only 4 teams that played in a bowl last season. Imo this is an easy schedule. Since we have to lower the bar for Dimel the minimum should be 6. JSU, IW, UNLV, LT, NMSU, SHSU seem like the most likely wins. A real university would demand closer to 9 wins for a coach in his 6th year.

We’re playing like 3 fcs teams and only 4 teams that played in a bowl last season. Imo this is an easy schedule. Since we have to lower the bar for Dimel the minimum should be 6. JSU, IW, UNLV, LT, NMSU, SHSU seem like the most likely wins. A real university would demand closer to 9 wins for a coach in his 6th year.
"A real university would demand closer to 9 wins for a coach in his 6th year." Yeah well its utep.

Anyways, utep is awful on the road so the game against Jacksonville State worries me... Northwestern and Arizona are losses. FIU would be a win in my book if it wasn't on the road. SHSU will make the transition to FBS easily and will smash UTEP. Mid Tennessee State is a loss.

I have been a utep fan long enough to know we can't overlook (FCS) Incarnate Word, even if they lost their HC. UNLV is a huge question mark but they were in a similar boat to us last season. UNLV fired their HC after a 5-7 record though. LA Tech is a tough game. NMSU will beat UTEP this upcoming season. WKU and Liberty are losses.

"A real university would demand closer to 9 wins for a coach in his 6th year." Yeah well its utep.

Anyways, utep is awful on the road so the game against Jacksonville State worries me... Northwestern and Arizona are losses. FIU would be a win in my book if it wasn't on the road. SHSU will make the transition to FBS easily and will smash UTEP. Mid Tennessee State is a loss.

I have been a utep fan long enough to know we can't overlook (FCS) Incarnate Word, even if they lost their HC. UNLV is a huge question mark but they were in a similar boat to us last season. UNLV fired their HC after a 5-7 record though. LA Tech is a tough game. NMSU will beat UTEP this upcoming season. WKU and Liberty are losses.
PickMyNose, how the F are we to consider you a Miner "Fan"? Your posts are all Negative Nellie, boring, and contain zero content other than the obvious trolling. Damn, go s...t on the Aggie board.

PickMyNose, how the F are we to consider you a Miner "Fan"? Your posts are all Negative Nellie, boring, and contain zero content other than the obvious trolling. Damn, go s...t on the Aggie board.

Can you give us any positive insight about UTEP football?

Reactions: PickMyAxe915

But yet you still take the time to respond. Interesting.

Very creative remix of my user name.

Give me a list of positive things to hang my hat on. Face it, there is nothing positive with the athletics of utep right now. And there hasn't been anything legitimately positive for atleast 12 years. It's why utep keeps getting left behind.

And a fan(atic) can criticize their team. UTEP deserves much more of it.

Northwestern was terrible last season. They lost to FCS Southern Illinois. They have replaced their DC, but they also had the fourth-worst scoring offense in the FBS. They never settled on a starting QB, and their best offensive threat, RB Evan Hull, has left for the NFL draft.

This is not a game that you should count as a loss before playing the game.

Very creative remix of my user name.

Give me a list of positive things to hang my hat on. Face it, there is nothing positive with the athletics of utep right now. And there hasn't been anything legitimately positive for atleast 12 years. It's why utep keeps getting left behind.

And a fan(atic) can criticize their team. UTEP deserves much more of it.
I too would like to see the lists of positives about UTEP athletics. Let’s see your lengthy list @Vegasminer. You will call us trolls and name call us, and just deflect. You have nothing.

Northwestern was terrible last season. They lost to FCS Southern Illinois. They have replaced their DC, but they also had the fourth-worst scoring offense in the FBS. They never settled on a starting QB, and their best offensive threat, RB Evan Hull, has left for the NFL draft.

UTEP playing at Northwestern, is a guaranteed loss. Mark it down. 6 months from now, no matter how bad you think NU is, UTEP doesn’t have the capability of winning against a Big 10 team. Could be played on the moon, in Africa, at El Paso High at 11pm. It’s not happening.

UTEP playing at Northwestern, is a guaranteed loss. Mark it down. 6 months from now, no matter how bad you think NU is, UTEP doesn’t have the capability of winning against a Big 10 team. Could be played on the moon, in Africa, at El Paso High at 11pm. It’s not happening.

I wouldn't say it's a guaranteed loss, it's just a high probability of a loss.

UTEP beat Boise last season, and Boise was definitely better than Northwestern. In their loss to Southern Illinois, Northwestern scored a touchdown in garbage time to make it seem closer than it was. Then they went and lost to Miami (OH) the following week.

The optimism is nice, and they did lose to SIU and Miami Ohio. But they had the 24th most difficult schedule in the country.

And Pat Fitzgerald has been a relatively solid coach in a pretty tough conference for a historically sub-500 program. Bad year last season, but I wouldn't be surprised by a slight turnaround. And plus, I'd take Fitzgerald over Dimel any day, especially if they have the home field advantage.

Reactions: EPUTEP
I will add, in previous money games, Dimel hasn't approached them as winnable. Meaning the goal of the game is to avoid injuries, get paid, and save the team for other non-money teams. It will be interesting to see how Dimel approaches the Northwestern game, but I'm hesitant to expect a more aggressive approach even in year six.

UTEP beat Boise last season, and Boise was definitely better than Northwestern. In their loss to Southern Illinois, Northwestern scored a touchdown in garbage time to make it seem closer than it was. Then they went and lost to Miami (OH) the following week.
But UTEP lost to UNM(got blown out) and UNM got blown out by Boise. Transitive property doesn't really work in this situation. Boise played an awful game and UTEP played probably its most complete game of Dimels tenure.

I hope you're right, but I have low expectations of utep vs a P5 school on the road.

I will add, in previous money games, Dimel hasn't approached them as winnable. Meaning the goal of the game is to avoid injuries, get paid, and save the team for other non-money teams. It will be interesting to see how Dimel approaches the Northwestern game, but I'm hesitant to expect a more aggressive approach even in year six.
In previous money games, the opponents weren't as bad as last season's Northwestern.

This is actually a rarity for UTEP. Usually they play their money games at Texas or Oklahoma.

That’s last season. I will take UTEPs record against P5 teams, add in it being on the road, very small chance UTEP wins.

In previous money games, the opponents weren't as bad as last season's Northwestern.

This is actually a rarity for UTEP. Usually they play their money games at Texas or Oklahoma.
I agree, it's a big/rare opportunity for UTEP. I'd like to see a focused Dimel (like we saw against UTSA last year even in a loss) who is playing to win. Hopefully, he changes his approach against Northwestern.

That’s last season. I will take UTEPs record against P5 teams, add in it being on the road, very small chance UTEP wins.
In Big Ten "home" games, Northwestern fans are often outnumbered by their opponents. Northwestern is also on the quarter system instead of the semester system, so the students won't even be on campus yet for the UTEP game (classes start the 19th of September). There won't be much of a student section to speak of. It will resemble a UTEP home game.

Reactions: JCorona
In Big Ten "home" games, Northwestern fans are often outnumbered by their opponents. Northwestern is also on the quarter system instead of the semester system, so the students won't even be on campus yet for the UTEP game (classes start the 19th of September). There won't be much of a student section to speak of. It will resemble a UTEP home game.
Oh ok, yeah many UTEP fans will be making the trip to suburban Chicago to see this one!

Reactions: MinerFan79
Oh ok, yeah many UTEP fans will be making the trip to suburban Chicago to see this one!
I will!

Northwestern's home crowd will resemble a UTEP home crowd for that game. What I mean is there will be plenty of empty seats. I wasn't saying that it will be dominated by UTEP fans.

It'll be like a Rice home game, if you prefer.

Yep, heading to Vegas to take in the Final Four at some Luxury Sports Palace. I'm positive it'll be fun. If FAU can get by SDSU, I'm positively putting my money on them to win it all. Stay negative PU.
1. I was asking for positives about UTEP. I could list a lot of my personal positives too but they will have nothing to do with UTEP athletics.

2. I'm not one to bask in UTEP's shortcomings like others on here. I enjoy the few wins that we get and post those positive thoughts on here.

3. I just don't see any light at the end of the tunnel and was hoping you would be able to enlighten me. I guess that's not the case.

Can you give us any positive insight about UTEP football?
The last time I felt positive about the UTEP football program was when we hired a disgraced, looking-to-bounce-back Mike Price. (Amazing how Alabama took off after that.)
I feel positive when I see Aaron Jones give props to UTEP and the 915, but for the overall football program was after that strip club incident that made it possible to bring Mike Price to UTEP. Although it was short-lived it was awesome to have a good football team.

The last time I felt positive about the UTEP football program was when we hired a disgraced, looking-to-bounce-back Mike Price. (Amazing how Alabama took off after that.)
I feel positive when I see Aaron Jones give props to UTEP and the 915, but for the overall football program was after that strip club incident that made it possible to bring Mike Price to UTEP. Although it was short-lived it was awesome to have a good football team.
Definitely the peak of utep football and the athletic department in general.

Price brought the intangibles Stull could not do: Bring the (business) community, city and political leaders to hitch on to the same wagon.

It was fun. It was painful. It became like the painful spouse who will not leave the home.

1. I was asking for positives about UTEP. I could list a lot of my personal positives too but they will have nothing to do with UTEP athletics.

2. I'm not one to bask in UTEP's shortcomings like others on here. I enjoy the few wins that we get and post those positive thoughts on here.

3. I just don't see any light at the end of the tunnel and was hoping you would be able to enlighten me. I guess that's not the case.
You say: "I just don't see any light at the end of the tunnel", and I say good, stop posting your time-wasting negativity here!

Reactions: MinerFan79
You say: "I just don't see any light at the end of the tunnel", and I say good, stop posting your time-wasting negativity here!

What positive insight do you have about UTEP football?

Why do negative posts hurt you so much?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT