ADVERTISEMENT

Lack of optimism for UTEP Football?

elpasoeagle

High school stud
Oct 26, 2021
Full disclosure. I am a North Texas grad and a big fan, but I have lived in El Paso for quite a while, and all of my children have either graduated from or are attending UTEP. I cheer for the Miners, except when they play the Mean Green.

No matter how bad things seem, I don't recall a time when the fanbase was less optimistic. Is the general feeling that Dimmel has maxed out what he can do? From the outside looking in, it does not seem UTEP is making the moves necessary from the athletic director level to turn things around.

Full disclosure. I am a North Texas grad and a big fan, but I have lived in El Paso for quite a while, and all of my children have either graduated from or are attending UTEP. I cheer for the Miners, except when they play the Mean Green.

No matter how bad things seem, I don't recall a time when the fanbase was less optimistic. Is the general feeling that Dimmel has maxed out what he can do? From the outside looking in, it does not seem UTEP is making the moves necessary from the athletic director level to turn things around.
Dismel is a crappy, stubborn coach. Take away his run at Wyoming and he’s probably the worst coach in college football history. His offense is boring and after the UNT game last year, he lost the UTEP fanbase.

UTEP football?
Hope-Springs-Eternal-e1592859853189.jpg

I'm close to giving up on utep athletics in general, but yes, with Hardison at QB, it's tough to be excited. And Dimel isn't going to give the other QBs an opportunity to compete for the starting spot.

My expectation for this upcoming season is one or two wins, possibly even a winless season. Nothing to hang my hat on other than the RBs/OL.

The true fans are tired of watching the same scenario play out across both basketball and football. We’re watching this Athletic Department fall further and further behind over the last twenty years, meanwhile they’ve bungled every opportunity to be ambitious and win over the fan base.

Basketball has become just as bad if not worse than football. Football has had little to no excitement since maybe 2004-2005. I don’t hate Dimel, he’s doing his best to make chicken soup out of chicken shit, but what kills me is we hired the one guy who’s offense is just as bad as his predecessor’s.

Meanwhile our athletic department and administration have watched as schools that were on our level 20 years ago are now moving on to power conferences and there is NO accountability, or plan to right this ship before we get left further behind.

Meanwhile our athletic department and administration have watched as schools that were on our level 20 years ago are now moving on to power conferences and there is NO accountability, or plan to right this ship before we get left further behind.
UNT was fortunate in 2015-2016, and the President started pushing for athletics improvements". We replaced our AD, and Wren Backer was hired, and that kick-started things. There have been significant investments made under his watch. There were concerns when he was hired away by West Virginia last year, but they promoted his second-in-charge, Jarred Mosley (I believe he was the AD at ACU that hired Golding there), and he is stepping up also. We fired our FB coach this year after seven years and a .500 record and our women's BB coach since, in his paraphrased words, they were being held accountable for not getting us where we need to be. Hopefully, UTEP can start making changes and head in a better direction.

UNT was fortunate in 2015-2016, and the President started pushing for athletics improvements". We replaced our AD, and Wren Backer was hired, and that kick-started things. There have been significant investments made under his watch. There were concerns when he was hired away by West Virginia last year, but they promoted his second-in-charge, Jarred Mosley (I believe he was the AD at ACU that hired Golding there), and he is stepping up also. We fired our FB coach this year after seven years and a .500 record and our women's BB coach since, in his paraphrased words, they were being held accountable for not getting us where we need to be. Hopefully, UTEP can start making changes and head in a better direction.
I hope so too. Unfortunately, the reality is that Senter has been around for nearly six years, and Wilson thinks he is doing a great job. I think most of us aren't holding our breaths for any significant changes/upgrades at this point.

This site is infected with trolls. Guys with greasy fat fingers typing whatever their reptile brains come up with to cast as negative a light as they can regarding UTEP Athletics. Sooo...you won't have any positive fans come on here and wrestle with these pigs, cause, as the saying goes: they love rolling in s**t and you're likely to get some on you. (I just made that saying up.)

This site is infected with trolls. Guys with greasy fat fingers typing whatever their reptile brains come up with to cast as negative a light as they can regarding UTEP Athletics. Sooo...you won't have any positive fans come on here and wrestle with these pigs, cause, as the saying goes: they love rolling in s**t and you're likely to get some on you. (I just made that saying up.)

Where are the trolls? We all were doing fine without you. Maybe you are the troll.

Reactions: Dmanminer
I'm close to giving up on utep athletics in general, but yes, with Hardison at QB, it's tough to be excited. And Dimel isn't going to give the other QBs an opportunity to compete for the starting spot.

My expectation for this upcoming season is one or two wins, possibly even a winless season. Nothing to hang my hat on other than the RBs/OL.
They will be a bowl team.

• Wow
Reactions: FarWestTexas
I hope so too. Unfortunately, the reality is that Senter has been around for nearly six years, and Wilson thinks he is doing a great job. I think most of us aren't holding our breaths for any significant changes/upgrades at this point.
I wanted Senter to succeed, but what has UTEP achieved under his watch? His best hire might be the women’s BB coach and that’s not saying much since that doesn’t move the needle.

Im actually really hoping for a bad year in football (yes I know some of you will give me shit for this, but its a sacrafice for the future. Nothing personal against the current players) so our president can pull her head out. We need drastic change and bigger plans. By this time next year I hope we have a new AD and football coach. We may be looking for a new MBB coach as well.

There's only going to be so much more realignment before it's stops. We need to make moves ASAP. I'm interested to see what will happen with the PAC 12 and MWC

Reactions: FedupMiner
There's only going to be so much more realignment before it's stops.
Agreed with everything except this. I expect the greed to get worse and worse and the conference alignments to constantly shift. There is usually a major shift every 10 years. Once all these superconferences form, greed will break them apart and there will continue to be major shifts.

Now, it's possible the P5 completely separates from G5 and forms it's own league. If that happens, well UTEP won't be able to do anything about that. UTEP will never be P5, unless our athletics are on point and el paso grows into a top 50 market with a depth of home grown, recruitable talent... and an asteroid destroys the east coast.

Im actually really hoping for a bad year in football (yes I know some of you will give me shit for this, but its a sacrafice for the future. Nothing personal against the current players) so our president can pull her head out. We need drastic change and bigger plans. By this time next year I hope we have a new AD and football coach. We may be looking for a new MBB coach as well.

There's only going to be so much more realignment before it's stops. We need to make moves ASAP. I'm interested to see what will happen with the PAC 12 and MWC
You should be hoping for a bunch of players to become academically ineligible more so than a bad season. 20 to 25 players being academically ineligible will met the change that you're hoping for.

There will not be a new AD next year so kill that expectation now

I hope so, but I don't have a lot of confidence.
They almost and should have been bowling last year... Hardison, can do just enough. I really believe, the difference between 5-7 and 7-5 will be T Smith coming back. The running backs, will be the show (for the most part) I know, Hardison is the go-to, don't be surprised if someone else steps up in a bigger way than BrownHoltz. Dimel knows, the pressure is on.

They almost and should have been bowling last year... Hardison, can do just enough. I really believe, the difference between 5-7 and 7-5 will be T Smith coming back. The running backs, will be the show (for the most part) I know, Hardison is the go-to, don't be surprised if someone else steps up in a bigger way than BrownHoltz. Dimel knows, the pressure is on.
What games do you think utep will win? Next season will be a much more difficult schedule than the previous two.

Maybe, but where does that get us in the long run? Nowhere..

Reactions: EPUTEP
I wanted Senter to succeed, but what has UTEP achieved under his watch? His best hire might be the women’s BB coach and that’s not saying much since that doesn’t move the needle.
He didn’t? Damn…. So what’s the feather in his cap? A bowl loss?

Last edited:
Can you give us any positive insight?

Reactions: JCorona and EPUTEP
Can you give us any positive insight?
Yep, heading to Vegas to take in the Final Four at some Luxury Sports Palace. I'm positive it'll be fun. If FAU can get by SDSU, I'm positively putting my money on them to win it all. Stay negative PU.

• Haha
Reactions: EPUTEP
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT