ADVERTISEMENT

Lew Stallworth didn't wanna leave

What's the difference between Caldwell and Harris? Besides God given athletic differences between the two, one knew the privilege of wearing a UTEP jersey on Saturday and Thursday nights. The other one didn't...at least not fully. Can UTEP win with a full roster of Caldwell's? No. But UTEP doesn't need to get the top JUCO or TOP 50 from "where ever state" high school player who 1) Has behavior problems off the court 2) Will not (fully commit to) do college course work.

There was a coach 45 miles up the road from Minerland who proved you don't have to recruit those type of players.

Last edited:
Trevor was a warrior. He gave everything to UTEP. He played hurt his sophmore and junior and senior years. He played with a seperated shoulder and ligament damage in his ankle. Most other qbs would have sat out out, but Trevor played and litterally left it all on the field. His dedication to his team cost him an NFL career. He would be holding a clipboard in the NFL today if ankle wasnt bone on bone. No team would clear his ankle. He threw for 95 tds and only 33 ints. Any school in America would take that. There are very few players who have ever worn the orange and blue i respect as much as Trevor Vittatoe. He put the interest of this University and his teammates over his own personal interests.

Just curious how you compare the most prolific passer in UTEP history to Myron Strong? What did Trevor do?
He smoked the ganja and really got on an ego trip! A second cousin's son worked in the athletic administration department as an intern. He would tell me that he became a real dick and was continually high! He was always partying and getting trashed! Played high in couple of games! He would miss reads or be slow in reacting! Price was real bad about not coming down on him and others who did same!

Personal experience, I live in a cul-de-sac on the west side. One of Price's player's mom bought a house 2 houses down so her baby could live there while he attended and played at UTEP. The parties were non-stop! Didn't matter whether night before game or immediately after! Vittatoe was in front of my house so I approached to talk and he didn't even bother to hide joint! He was really torched! His friends were snorting and they promptly hid that! I didn't see him do it, so I can't accuse him of that! I'll leave it up to You! I complained to the assistant head coach about the goings on (not naming names) and nothing ever happened!

Reactions: Cube Jack
I am not surprised by anything anymore. But thanks @e-rick for sharing that. If the QB was doing that then the drug use must have been rampant on that team.

The only question I have is the "night before" parties. The UTEP teams are sequestered at the Radisson the day before games, beginning at about 4. Had to be pretty clever to get out and back. Also, I used to pick them up at the Radisson and I never ever saw anyone in any under the influence kind of condition. Not saying Trevor didn't smoke, I'd heard that too. But the night before claim is pretty hard to fathom. I have a coworker who insists that every time the BB team loses its because they were at the titty bars all night, home or away...he's serious too.

The only question I have is the "night before" parties. The UTEP teams are sequestered at the Radisson the day before games, beginning at about 4. Had to be pretty clever to get out and back. Also, I used to pick them up at the Radisson and I never ever saw anyone in any under the influence kind of condition. Not saying Trevor didn't smoke, I'd heard that too. But the night before claim is pretty hard to fathom. I have a coworker who insists that every time the BB team loses its because they were at the titty bars all night, home or away...he's serious too.

Under the Price regime there were no bed checks on the road. Players on road trips did drink and go out before games.

I didn't check to see who it was that was throwing up in my neighbor's front yard, but there were goings on! For the most part they were respectful, just unreigned and living the "vida loca"! Where as, I have met the current batch of football players in bar situations and they are a bunch of respectful, thoughtful, polite, serious, easy to talk to, and under control bunch of young men! :cool:

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT