ADVERTISEMENT

Looking ahead to 2019 BBall season

FiliUTEP

MI Miner Maniac
Feb 1, 2010
Do you think its a top 25 team.?That is if all the transfers do show up. I hate to look ahead but its hard not to think about it. Just on paper alone i think its going to be a good team. We have been burned twice by Utep with the potential to have stacked teams. The time when Barbee left and when Floyd got Isaac.

I believe that it will depend on who we play. We need to play some
P5 teams and beat them before we get a top 25 vote. If we win
this season it will be hard to schedule P5 schools.

Go Miners...

On paper maybe, but what can change in a year can change that as wevew seen. So I really think the addition of Williams the new guard who isn't going to Northwestern the other transfers and Gilyard running things will be a top 3 team in CUSA.

Do you think its a top 25 team.?That is if all the transfers do show up. I hate to look ahead but its hard not to think about it. Just on paper alone i think its going to be a good team. We have been burned twice by Utep with the potential to have stacked teams. The time when Barbee left and when Floyd got Isaac.
I really beleive this team will stay intact, but I don't think its a 2019 top 25 team (not even on paper) just yet. Just too many question marks. There will hopefully be a good core of players returning and a good group of experienced transfers coming in. The other 2 scholarships may count for something too. Just need more time.

I really beleive this team will stay intact, but I don't think its a 2019 top 25 team (not even on paper) just yet. Just too many question marks. There will hopefully be a good core of players returning and a good group of experienced transfers coming in. The other 2 scholarships may count for something too. Just need more time.
I agree. Nothing material has happened on the hard wood, but that '19 roster has to be considered impressive; but nothing empirically can be drawn from as of right now.

It’s WAAAAYYY too early to think about that. I want to see who comes in during the off-season, and more importantly if anyone leaves. That will be very interesting to see as well. We should have more depth down low next year to compliment the guards, but what if either Efe or Eze leave? I’m just throwing that out there. Given how high we are in those kids that could be a setback. But again maybe they don’t live up to the hype.

Reactions: EPTUTEP
It is very early to talk about next year, but since you brought it up. IF the team stays together with NO early transfers, then the 19-20 team is a top Twenty team and I would expect them to finish the season in the Elite 8.

It is very early to talk about next year, but since you brought it up. IF the team stays together with NO early transfers, then the 19-20 team is a top Twenty team and I would expect them to finish the season in the Elite 8.
Wow! Now that's optimistic. CRT did wonders in Fresno in a better conference.

I just think the 19-20 team is going to be a stacked team. The only player that i could see leaving is Kobe or Gilyard. I think them two will have to show something. Osborne already got replaced.

Really Elite 8??

Reactions: JCorona
I would compare us to WKU.

Stansbury took over WKU two years ago and right off the bat brought in the #15 recruiting class in the nation. This year he brought in another top 30 class. His record was 15-17 his first year and 27-11 last season with a semifinals NIT run. This year they are the favorites to win the conference and make the NCAA tournament.

Terry brought in the #57 class this year and next years class will probably be a top 30. In 19 I expect him to have a similar record to what Stansbury accomplished. If for some reason we luck out and don’t win the Auto Bid he will probably win a few games in the NIT. If he does make the NCAA tournament winning one game is going beyond expectations.

Reactions: EPTUTEP
It is difficult to crack the top 25 as a P5 school, and it is even more difficult when you play in a conference that is viewed as weak. NMSU finished 28-5 in the regular season, went on an 11 game winning streak, beat #6 Miami, and didn't get into the top 25. MTSU beat some decent team in non-conference and went on a 11 game winning streak in CUSA, won 14 outa 15 games and barely cracked the top 25.

Terry had a very good recruiting class, but it is not like he just reeled in a top 20 recruiting class. His class looks good on paper to be a top 5 CUSA team ( MTSU, WKU, ODU, UTEP, Marshal)in 2019 , but not a guaranteed top 25 team. Efe, and Eze have tons of potential but they are still question marks and need some work. Then we have the dreaded transfer period at the end of next season. Lathon can have a monster year in CUSA and go transfer to a P5 program at the end of the year. That dude is going to be good from game 1. So it is still way to early to even thinking about whether to not this team is a top 25 team in 2019.

Last edited:

Think we are getting a little ahead of ourselves don't you think? We don't even know what this years talent will look like

Reactions: develman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT