ADVERTISEMENT

Loyola Chicago to Elite 8

ShovelMan66

All Star
Jun 29, 2017
Loyola Chicago is in the Elite 8 and UTEP was lucky to win 8 games this year. Nobody cares about Loyola, but they're still able to accomplish things that UTEP hasn't been able to in ages.

They didn't even draw 2,000 a game last year or the year before, but are still able to get recruits that are capable of the Elite 8. I guess most on here will continue to blame the fans for not selling out every home game and not believing in the program.

2,814 for home opener
4,963 to final home game
Able to beat Florida in Gainesville, win their conference, conference tournament, make the Elite 8.
2017 - 1,861 avg home attendance
2016 - 1,831 avg home attendance

Loyola Chicago is in the Elite 8 and UTEP was lucky to win 8 games this year. Nobody cares about Loyola, but they're still able to accomplish things that UTEP hasn't been able to in ages.

They didn't even draw 2,000 a game last year or the year before, but are still able to get recruits that are capable of the Elite 8. I guess most on here will continue to blame the fans for not selling out every home game and not believing in the program.

2,814 for home opener
4,963 to final home game
Able to beat Florida in Gainesville, win their conference, conference tournament, make the Elite 8.

There are 337 d1 basketball programs more than half don't draw more than 2,000 a game. More than half don't play in arenas that hold more than 5, 000. This board is infatuated with attendance. It's important but it's certainly not the end all be all. A lot of those small gyms have much better atmospheres than UTEP has. Recruits care about a lot more than attendance.

Kansa state is not surprising at all... they were the best team insaw this year play against Baylor...I actually have them going one more round...

Loyola is the only team in the State of Illinois to win a national championship.

Does any of this sound familiar:

The Loyola University Chicago teams of the early 1960s, coached by George Ireland, are thought to be responsible for ushering in a new era of racial equality in the sport by shattering all remaining color barriers in NCAA men's basketball. Beginning in 1961, Loyola broke the longstanding gentlemen's agreement (not to play more than three black players at any given time), putting as many as four black players on the court at every game.[5] For the 1962–63 season, Ireland played four black Loyola starters in every game. That season, Loyola also became the first team in NCAA Division I history to play an all-black lineup, doing so in a game against Wyoming in December 1962.[6] In that season's NCAA tournament, Loyola defeated the all-white team of then-segregated Mississippi State by a score of 61–51, a game especially notable because the Bulldogs defied a state court order prohibiting them from playing against a school with black players.

In 1963, Loyola shocked the nation and changed college basketball forever by starting four black players in the NCAA Championship game.[7] Loyola's stunning upset of two-time defending NCAA champion Cincinnati, in overtime by a score of 60–58, was the crowning achievement in the school's nearly decade long struggle with racial inequality in men's college basketball, highlighted by the tumultuous events of that year's NCAA Tournament.[8] Loyola's 1963 NCAA title was historic not only for the racial makeup of Loyola's team, but also due to the fact that Cincinnati had started three black players, making seven of the 10 starters in the 1963 NCAA Championship game black.[9]

2,814 for home opener
4,963 to final home game

So you tell me that we think that having more fans on the stands will
win games. Don't fool yourself. You are acting like a troll.

GO Miners...

So you tell me that we think that having more fans on the stands will
win games. Don't fool yourself. You are acting like a troll.

GO Miners...

That's what I'm saying, more fans doesn't equal success, better recruits, or significant wins.

A little Jealous, but this proves again just mid majors can make runs. Wow its gonna be an interesting Final 4. This is what I think we hoped Floyd would do for us and it never transpired. There are tools in place, no reason we can't one day. We have better facilities and a much higher budget than L Chicago and long time loyal hungry fans. Hope this can be us one day again in my life Time! Go Ramblers!

Reactions: axingfools1
A little Jealous, but this proves again just mid majors can make runs. Wow its gonna be an interesting Final 4. This is what I think we hoped Floyd would do for us and it never transpired. There are tools in place, no reason we can't one day. We have better facilities and a much higher budget than L Chicago and long time loyal hungry fans. Hope this can be us one day again in my life Time! Go Ramblers!

Naw its cool, we're a "basketball school". Final 4s in the 60s are much more important than winning tournament games now.

Not bad for a team that hadn’t made the NCAA tournament or NIT since 1985. They stuck with their coach (7years) despite little success and he rewards them with a deep trip into the the promise land.

It was good hearing UTEP get a shoutout during the game. Hopefully CRT has us making dance moves very soon.

Not bad for a team that hadn’t made the NCAA tournament or NIT since 1985. They stuck with their coach (7years) despite little success and he rewards them with a deep trip into the the promise land.

He was okay at UALR, got fired from Illinois St and was an assistant before getting the Loyola job. I can't imagine Loyola was in a bidding war with anyone else for his services.

They did stick with him for 7 years, but he also won the CBI and transitioned into a better league. Terry won't get 7 years to make the tournament.

Naw its cool, we're a "basketball school". Final 4s in the 60s are much more important than winning tournament games now.
Is that what I said? Is Chicago a Basketball School? Do they have more NCAA wins then Utep? Do they Spend more on Basketball? Do they have a separate Practice Gym and work out Center? Do they avg 9000+ when they win? Ok just checking bro? Point is No reason Utep can't do this one day, that's what I'm saying?

Reactions: axingfools1
Is that what I said? Is Chicago a Basketball School? Do they have more NCAA wins then Utep? Do they Spend more on Basketball? Do they have a separate Practice Gym and work out Center? Do they avg 9000+ when they win? Ok just checking bro? Point is No reason Utep can't do this one day, that's what I'm saying?

Chicago is more of a basketball school than UTEP is.

They have more relevant wins than UTEP right now. Not sure how wins 30-50 years ago helps the program win today.

They don't have any of those other things. Which is why it's sad that UTEP is always looking at other schools' successes. Then coming up with excuses and ALWAYS talking about the 66 Championship.

"Sell out the Don", "Buy season tickets", "Support the program" is all you ever hear. If a school like Loyola Chicago can make the Final 4, it would be nice to not go 26 years and counting in between tournament wins.

The fans have supported UTEP long enough. Give the fans something to be proud of.

They have more relevant wins than UTEP right now. Not sure how wins 30-50 years ago helps the program win today.

They don't have any of those other things. Which is why it's sad that UTEP is always looking at other schools' successes. Then coming up with excuses and ALWAYS talking about the 66 Championship.

"Sell out the Don", "Buy season tickets", "Support the program" is all you ever hear. If a school like Loyola Chicago can make the Final 4, it would be nice to not go 26 years and counting in between tournament wins.

The fans have supported UTEP long enough. Give the fans something to be proud of.
Loyola of Chicago is having a great year, but by no means are they more of a basketball school than UTEP? Please don't exaggerate. The two schools are pretty equivalent by history, and both have done zero in the past 25-30 years. No way you, or any of us saw this coming. I have NEVER payed attention to that school and I would venture to say that you haven't either. It only proves the possibilities at UTEP and keeps our expectations high, just like yours. Natty makes some good points that you just ignore out of anger.

I understand your frustration regarding UTEP. I'm right there with you on that. I don't like dwelling on the past either and I hope UTEP can do what Loyola Chicago is doing now in the near future. I actually have higher expectations and want us to be more of a consistant winning mid-major, not a once every 25 year cinderalla.

Your constant sarcasm and defamation of everything UTEP and every other comment here is pretty rough.

I agree with axingfools. You regularly make some valid points, ShovelMan. But damn man, lighten up a bit. I know some people are always gonna pump sunshine, and that can be beyond annoying when things suck. But the other side of that is when someone is constantly trying to pull their dark ass cloud over everyone so that everybody gets a taste of that sour acid rain.

Dumb weather analogies aside, I’m sure you’re smart enough to realize that there is almost always at least a couple ways of viewing things.

Last edited:

Its not more of a Basketball School than Utep that's ridiculous. Its not about 66 only Haskins was one of the Greatest College Coaches Ever. How do you simply discount the 80s n early 90s There's banners at the Don for a reason. Chicago has obviously great talent, but Loyala had not been been to NCAA since 85, so not sure what your talking about or basing that on??? Fact is Utep could and should be in this position and I agree its Sad we have been irrelevant for so long and its time to change that!

Chicago is strictly a high school basketball town. Last time Loyola Chi was relevant was when Alfredrick Hughes was the nation's lead scorer.
All that said and the crap UTEP basketball, the university and El Paso has had to endure, UTEP has a stronger basketball brand & tradition than Loyola Chi-land. Just seems otherwise when you're coming out of the number 3 or 4 TV market in the nation.

Its not more of a Basketball School than Utep that's ridiculous. Its not about 66 only Haskins was one of the Greatest College Coaches Ever. How do you simply discount the 80s n early 90s There's banners at the Don for a reason. Chicago has obviously great talent, but Loyala had not been been to NCAA since 85, so not sure what your talking about or basing that on??? Fact is Utep could and should be in this position and I agree its Sad we have been irrelevant for so long and its time to change that!

Find me 1 recruit that will attend any school based o what that schools did 30-40 years ago. Look how George Mason is doing right now, they made the Final 4 10 years ago and nobody cares, but you think recruits care about making the 2nd round in 1987?

Its not negative, those are facts!

UTEP should win something before begging fans to support them. We've been supporting for 26 years and have 0 combined NCAA and Bowl wins. Loyola, who drew less than 2,000 last season is in the Final 4. UTEP regularly averages 4x that and nothing to show.

Find me 1 recruit that will attend any school based o what that schools did 30-40 years ago. Look how George Mason is doing right now, they made the Final 4 10 years ago and nobody cares, but you think recruits care about making the 2nd round in 1987?

UTEP should win something before begging fans to support them. We've been supporting for 26 years and have 0 combined NCAA and Bowl wins. Loyola, who drew less than 2,000 last season is in the Final 4. UTEP regularly averages 4x that and nothing to show.
Nobody said that bro. You are just being stubborn. Your fried UTEP brain is stuck on replay over and over. First you said Loyola of Chicago is more of a basketball school than UTEP. People respond that's not true and now you come back by saying recruits don't care about what happened years ago. I think WE ALL AGREE with what you are saying. You are beating a dead horse;)

Chicago is strictly a high school basketball town. Last time Loyola Chi was relevant was when Alfredrick Hughes was the nation's lead scorer.
All that said and the crap UTEP basketball, the university and El Paso has had to endure, UTEP has a stronger basketball brand & tradition than Loyola Chi-land. Just seems otherwise when you're coming out of the number 3 or 4 TV market in the nation.

When DePaul is relevant Chicago is a great college hoops city. With their new arena which is second to none I expect DePaul to be nationally relavent again.

Basically you’re saying that UTEP should shut down their marketing and athletic fundraising departments until we win a bowl game or NCAA tournament game.

That doesn’t make sense. Cutting off monetary support would further throw this program into chaos.

You’ve made it clear that you’re a bandwagon fan and will only support athletics when they have winning teams. That’s cool for you. Don’t tell us what to do with our money. I want to help rebuild the UTEP athletic department. I want to be able to look back 5-10 years from now and have the pride to say I stuck with our programs through thick and thin. That I was a small part of the reason why they improved.

It’s a new era give all the bs negative comments a rest. As Mr Senter said this afternoon...

Basically you’re saying that UTEP should shut down their marketing and athletic fundraising departments until we win a bowl game or NCAA tournament game.

That doesn’t make sense. Cutting off monetary support would further throw this program into chaos.

You’ve made it clear that you’re a bandwagon fan and will only support athletics when they have winning teams. That’s cool for you. Don’t tell us what to do with our money. I want to help rebuild the UTEP athletic department. I want to be able to look back 5-10 years from now and have the pride to say I stuck with our programs through thick and thin. That I was a small part of the reason why they improved.

It’s a new era give all the bs negative comments a rest. As Mr Senter said this afternoon...
It's time for the MODERATOR to step up and ban the multi named alias nimrod. Intelligent, meaningful conversation is only possible with him absent or put on ignore. You guys should refrain from feeding his sick ego by engaging him. That's what he lives for.

It's time for the MODERATOR to step up and ban the multi named alias nimrod. Intelligent, meaningful conversation is only possible with him absent or put on ignore. You guys should refrain from feeding his sick ego by engaging him. That's what he lives for.

Whaaaaaaaaaa! The new rules of America, if your opinion is different from theirs, call for their banning. If you don't like what I have to say, go to picksup.org and join the non-conversation of there. People with the same point of view don't really make the most entertaining message board. As you know from experience.

Sorry if I am not drinking the UTEP kool-aid right now. We just finished with the 3 inept amigos and we're the laughing stock of CUSA.

I'll change my tune now. Coming soon I will predict UTEP to the Final 4 every year and every recruit we sign will be the next Aaron Jones or Kevin Durant!!!!!!!!!!

If UNT wins the CBI tomorrow does that currently make them more of a basketball school than us?

If UNT wins the CBI tomorrow does that currently make them more of a basketball school than us?

I don't winning any of these little postseason tournaments matters. Currently UNT and UTSA are both more basketball schools than we are because their current trajectorys are higher than ours. They both are going to have formidable programs I'm very impressed with Henson at UTSA.

I don't winning any of these little postseason tournaments matters. Currently UNT and UTSA are both more basketball schools than we are because their current trajectorys are higher than ours. They both are going to have formidable programs I'm very impressed with Henson at UTSA.
Lmao!!! No No and No. This is literally the first year they've been better than Utep since being Conf USA. Slow Down with all that Nonsense Hahah. We havent proved much since 92 as far as Miner Fans expectations go, but look at the last 10 years of either of those schools to Utep and tell me who has more 20 win seasons? Who has more attendance. Who has more post seasons? Oh and we just stole a Mtn West HC and this ship will get righted soon, because Utep puts more money than those schools. So no they're trajectory isnt higher than ours Lol Good One though hahahahaha!!!!

UNT is padding their record with a bunch of pay to play wins. They finished the regular season 13-17 with their best win over a 17 win San Diego (143). Any respectable post season tournament would have told them to get lost with that resume.

Let’s wait and see how Terry does in his first season before anointing UNT and UTSA as the next great Texas basketball legends.

Reactions: nattybry
Lmao!!! No No and No. This is literally the first year they've been better than Utep since being Conf USA. Slow Down with all that Nonsense Hahah. We havent proved much since 92 as far as Miner Fans expectations go, but look at the last 10 years of either of those schools to Utep and tell me who has more 20 win seasons? Who has more attendance. Who has more post seasons? Oh and we just stole a Mtn West HC and this ship will get righted soon, because Utep puts more money than those schools. So no they're trajectory isnt higher than ours Lol Good One though hahahahaha!!!!

Today they're trajectory are higher than ours. I don't think either will be powers but I do think they will be formidable cusa squads. Sugarcoating things helped get UTEP into this mess. I don't find it helpful. Next March we could very well have higher trajectory than them but not now.

Today they're trajectory are higher than ours. I don't think either will be powers but I do think they will be formidable cusa squads. Sugarcoating things helped get UTEP into this mess. I don't find it helpful. Next March we could very well have higher trajectory than them but not now.
That was a reasonable and rational response I can see your point.

Just furthers my point that nobody cares about Loyola, but they're still able to accomplish basketball success.

A lot of people care about UTEP. We can't even win a watered down CUSA and all we get is excuses. Fans and administration , just defended our highest paid coach ever to the death. Now schools with half the attendance, dumpy arenas, and no radio deals are making the Final 4.

Just furthers my point that nobody cares about Loyola, but they're still able to accomplish basketball success.

A lot of people care about UTEP. We can't even win a watered down CUSA and all we get is excuses. Fans and administration , just defended our highest paid coach ever to the death. Now schools with half the attendance, dumpy arenas, and no radio deals are making the Final 4.

*yawn*

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT