ADVERTISEMENT

Maybe 15k at the game tonight?

IMG_3460.jpg

15k is still good enough for 2nd place in CUSA attendance, so it was a great turnout tonight.

It's because Manny Pacquio is fighting tonight vs some Mexican American. Yea that's why. It has nothing to do with the shitty opponent and our horrible team.

It's because Manny Pacquio is fighting tonight vs some Mexican American. Yea that's why. It has nothing to do with the shitty opponent and our horrible team.

LOL! Yup, that was it.

"Ever since the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight did a record 4.6 million sales, boxing pay-per-view sales have largely fallen off a cliff and nearly every one of them has failed to meet expectations. In some cases, they’ve missed the mark by extraordinarily large amounts.....

It’s gotten so bad that in September, Canelo Alvarez couldn’t reach 300,000 sales for his bout in Arlington, Texas, against
Liam Smith. Alvarez is regularly referred to as the largest star in boxing by his promoter, Golden Boy’s Oscar De La Hoya...."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/manny-...is-fight-against-jessie-vargas-174951340.html

Pictures are horrible, some tweets estimated 3K. I can't wait for Stull to explain this. I'm guessing the flooding and hail from last night.

Was attendance ever announced? I don't see anything in the EP Times.

To be fair the majority of people were on pressbox side. Still not a good crowd. Happy for the win though

Yes, that's true. I just took the picture to show the awesome sky, not the empty stands on the east side of the stadium.

Reactions: Cube Jack
No way it was only 2-4K.

The Miner Rush twitter account said that 15K tickets were sold but that there only appeared to be a maximum of 4K.

That is a huge discrepancy. I wasn't there so I can only assume, due to the various accounts of all that I read, that the count was somewhere under 15K and probably just over 10K.

Seems to me, Stull will be really challenged on whether or not to make a change should similar attendance numbers follow.

Seems to me, Stull will be really challenged on whether or not to make a change should similar attendance numbers follow.

Again, the question is not whether Stull will make a change. He won't. The question is whether Natalicio will make a change. The enthusiasm factor around UTEP's football program appears to have plunged to unsustainable lows. So Madam President, what's the plan?

Again, the question is not whether Stull will make a change. He won't. The question is whether Natalicio will make a change. The enthusiasm factor around UTEP's football program appears to have plunged to
unsustainable lows. So Madam President, what's the plan?

I respectfully disagree. Natalicio handed over control of the athletic department and left it fully in Stull's hands. Although apathy reigns supreme in the department, if a change is to be made, it'll have to come from Stull.

I said it last week. A couple games with 15K or less butts in the seats and things will get a little uncomfortable in Stull's world, contrary to several posters' belief that attendance doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

I respectfully disagree. Natalicio handed over control of the athletic department and left it fully in Stull's hands. Although apathy reigns supreme in the department, if a change is to be made, it'll have to come from Stull.

I tried to make a subtle point, one which I'm not sure connected.

We agree 100% on your above highlighted comment. UTEP's 77 year-old president (a national icon) has ceded complete control of the athletic department to a 71 year-old AD who's been on cruise control for 10 years with a history of bad hires and a refusal to correct them, the latest of which is his personal selection as the current football HC. He is overseeing a football program that is deteriorating by the week.

Now, for conversation sake, let's just presume Stull admits his Kugler experiment is a dismal failure, and he buys out his contract. UTEP then needs EXACTLY what it needed almost 5 years ago - a proven, up and coming FBS coordinator who can recruit the shit out of Texas OR a proven FCS HC who can recruit the shit out of Texas.

Please, be honest, name a legit coaching candidate that meets those criteria who would take the compete rebuild HC football job with a 77 year old president and a 71 year old AD/boss who's got one foot out of the door and the other on a banana peel?

My point was that it's Natalicio's move to bring in a new AD with a fresh start and let him/her bring in their own HC. Otherwise, Kugler will leave when Stull leaves, simple as that. And even if Stull DID release Kugler, ain't NOBODY qualified for the job that would take on THAT challenge under those circumstances.

Last edited:
Reactions: UTEP05
Dr. Natalicio hasn't gotten to where she is by being a micromanager. I really doubt she has ever had time to over stress the football team when she has dozens of other responsibilities.

I tried to make a subtle point, one which I'm not sure connected.

We agree 100% on your above highlighted comment. UTEP's 77 year-old president (a national icon) has ceded complete control of the athletic department to a 71 year-old AD who's been on cruise control for 10 years with a history of bad hires and a refusal to correct them, the latest of which is his personal selection as the current football HC. He is overseeing a football program that is deteriorating by the week.

Now, for conversation sake, let's just presume Stull admits his Kugler experiment is a dismal failure, and he buys out his contract. UTEP then needs EXACTLY what it needed almost 5 years ago - a proven, up and coming FBS coordinator who can recruit the shit out of Texas OR a proven FCS HC who can recruit the shit out of Texas.

Please, be honest, name a legit coaching candidate that meets those criteria who would take the compete rebuild HC football job with a 77 year old president and a 71 year old AD/boss who's got one foot out of the door and the other on a banana peel?

My point was that it's Natalicio's move to bring in a new AD with a fresh start and let him/her bring in their own HC. Otherwise, Kugler will leave when Stull leaves, simple as that. And even if Stull DID release Kugler, ain't NOBODY qualified for the job that would take on THAT challenge under those circumstances.

I get your point...subtly and all. I just disagree with it. Stull is MUCH more likely to make a change in regards to head coach than Natalicio is to make a change at AD. It is growing increasingly evident, by the week, that change is necessary. The time is nearing that Stull will be forced to make a change. Not sure when, but it's coming. And, unless Stull retires within the next year or two, I'd be willing to make a hefty wager that the he and Kugs do not leave at the same time.

As to naming a legit coaching candidate, it wasn't part of my point, and I honestly haven't put any real thought into who the replacement could be. While it might be entertaining to speculate who Stull could wrangle up, I haven't looked into who might be available/willing. I do admit that it would be difficult to attract/find a quality head man. That doesn't mean the attempt shouldn't be made, though.

As to the bolded statement, I wouldn't be so sure of that. Pure speculation.

Last edited:
Bad attendance during a losing season is nothing new to Miner fans. Our fan base is as fickle as any around the country.

UTEP had a crowd that would be considered very good at just about any G5 school at the Army game. 38k came out to witness what was unfortunately the worst display of football seen just about anywhere. That was what killed UTEP attendance for the rest of they year. It was a golden opportunity for the Miners to win over fans and improve attendance for the season but when a team plays like that, it is not going to happen. Blown opportunity. Plus, the team did not play very well after that until the UTSA game. Too little to late.

Bad attendance during a losing season is nothing new to Miner fans. Our fan base is as fickle as any around the country.

UTEP had a crowd that would be considered very good at just about any G5 school at the Army game. 38k came out to witness what was unfortunately the worst display of football seen just about anywhere. That was what killed UTEP attendance for the rest of they year. It was a golden opportunity for the Miners to win over fans and improve attendance for the season but when a team plays like that, it is not going to happen. Blown opportunity. Plus, the team did not play very well after that until the UTSA game. Too little to late.

**claps hands** Well said.

I wouldn't say UTEP fans are fickle. Any fan base would have given up after that Army game.

Well, it looks like you got photo bombed by an empty stadium.

This has to be the best photo bomb of UTEP football during the "Dumpster Fire" era. Notice the sold out stadium (in the video), the mountains in the background full of cheapskate fans who won't pay to come inside, the amore......oh, the amore!

a.guy.got.a.handjob.at.the.ututep.game.lest.we.forget

But no, Kugler has to be a kill joy!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT