ADVERTISEMENT

MBB stats

axingfools1

MI Miner Maniac
Nov 6, 2011
JB has been playing great shooting lights out in conference and averaging about 6 assists and 2 steals per game. Satterfield shooting lights out too and has been very efficient filling in for little KK (who was playing very well before getting hurt). JB and Satterfield are 21/39 3-point shooting last 3 games. Boum is Boum with volume scoring, but leading in rebounds and second in assists and steals.

I know it's only a few games in, UTEP is basically leading the league free throw shooting, 3 point shooting, assists and blocked shots. Of course we are towards the bottom in 2 pt field goals made and rebounding

JB has been playing great shooting lights out in conference and averaging about 6 assists and 2 steals per game. Satterfield shooting lights out too and has been very efficient filling in for little KK (who was playing very well before getting hurt). JB and Satterfield are 21/39 3-point shooting last 3 games. Boum is Boum with volume scoring, but leading in rebounds and second in assists and steals.

I know it's only a few games in, UTEP is basically leading the league free throw shooting, 3 point shooting, assists and blocked shots. Of course we are towards the bottom in 2 pt field goals made and rebounding
We're also are tied for most L's in conference play too.

In Conference:
we are shooting .427/.374/.756

We are #1 in assists and blocked shots. #3 in free throw %.

We have the best 3pt defense and top 3 FG% defense

We are last in rebounding and are giving up the most foul shots/fouling the most.

JB and Saterfield are shooting a combined 45/100 from 3.

Season:
Saterfield 1st in 3pt shooting .494
Boum is 3rd in scoring 18.5
JB 5th in steals 1.8
TV 7th in blocks 1.31

In Conference:
Boum and JB are 5th/6th in scoring 17.1/17pts and 2/3 in minutes played
JB is 2nd in assists 4.71 and 3rd in steals 1.86
Boum is 6th free throw .886% and 12th in defensive rebounding at 4.71
Saterfield is #1 at 3pt% .537 and has made the 4th most (JB has made the 3rd most shooting .39%)
Boum and JB are #1 and #7 at assists to turnover ratio.
Sibley and TV are tied for 4th in blocked shots 1.71

JB had our 1st and only double double of the year at UTSA with 18/11 and 6 assists.

In Conference:

We are last in rebounding and are giving up the most foul shots/fouling the most.

Season:
JB 5th in steals 1.8
TV 7th in blocks 1.31

In Conference:
Saterfield is #1 at 3pt% .537 and has made the 4th most (JB has made the 3rd most shooting .39%)

JB had our 1st and only double double of the year at UTSA with 18/11 and 6 assists.
Saterfield has definitely been outstanding from deep, and is directly responsible for us beating UTSA. As Golding mentioned, teams will start keying on him on the perimeter; UTSA actually did this in the second half of yesterday's game. He will need to continue to evolve offensively. Plus, his defense will need to improve (again something that Golding mentions frequently). He is turning into a really nice late pickup. I also thought JB has been really good. He has really grown into a team leader, and has been clutch down the stretch in several games. They need to carry this play against the better teams in CUSA.

Last edited:
In Conference:

Season:
JB 5th in steals 1.8
TV 7th in blocks 1.31

In Conference:

It's good to see Saterfield's shooting carried over to D1 this year! One more shooter and an imposing Big next year and we can make some huge strides to the top of the conference next year. I'd we keep our main contributers of course.

Need Kennedy back, he adds depth and dimension to the team. We are going to have one of those games where we can't hit a shot and with little inside game we can't win. We look like we have 3 who can score need Kennedy added in to the mix. We also have Sibley who shows tons of potential and I expect him to have a big game or two in the next few weeks. Like where this team is going and like Goldings style.

In Conference:

Season:
JB 5th in steals 1.8
TV 7th in blocks 1.31

In Conference:

Nice work, axing. Thanks for breaking down the stats.

I like the minutes Golding is giving everyone.
Its making Utep a deep team, I think Golding has figured out his rotation.
Once Kennedy comes back its going make Utep even deeper.

Update 11 games in:
6th in CUSA (2nd tier) at 7-4 in conference

Our next conference win will equal our highest total in the previous 4 years.

Our road win total already equals the last 3 years combined!

We are now shooting better at .459/.398/.773

We are top 3 in free throw %, 3pt%, assists, steals and blocked shots.

UTEP is the #2 defensive team in CUSA behind UNT

We are towards the bottom in FG%, free throws attempted, rebounds, turnovers and fouls

Boum and JB are 1 and 3 in minutes played and the top backcourt in CUSA:

Boum #3 in scoring 18.4. 7th free throw % .877, 8th steals 1.55
JB #4 in scoring 18.2, 5th assists 4.45, 6th steals 1.64. 36 3-pointers made shooting .414%
Both are top 10 in A/T ratio

Sibley and TV are 5th/6th in blocked shots combining for 2.81 per game

**All of this is without little KK who was having a breakout season early on. He is our 3rd leading scorer, leading rebounder, arguably our top defender and was starting to shoot well

Cool stat: Onyema over 40 minutes averages 10pts, 9 reb, 3 blocks and 8 fouls 🤣🤣

Update 11 games in:

We are towards the bottom in FG%, free throws attempted, rebounds, turnovers and fouls

JB #4 in scoring 18.2, 5th assists 4.45, 6th steals 1.64. 36 3-pointers made shooting .414%

**All of this is without little KK who was having a breakout season early on. He is our 3rd leading scorer, leading rebounder, arguably our top defender and was starting to shoot well

Cool stat: Onyema over 40 minutes averages 10pts, 9 reb, 3 blocks and 8 fouls 🤣🤣
As usual, thanks for the breakdown. Good stuff!

Great job @axingfools1. What stands out to me is our high free throw percentage and our low amount of free throw attempts. Getting to the free throw line and making free throws is worth a few wins every season. I know it's not breaking news but we have to do a better job getting to the free throw line
Seems like Boum and Bieniemy are the only ones who can get to the line with any amount of consistency. Bieniemy to a far lesser degree. Also of note, I'm not sure if it's due to the fact that he falls every time he goes to the rim, fouled or not, so refs are de-sensitized to it, but Boum should have had a couple AND 1s last night...and most other nights too.

Last edited:
Update 11 games in:

They need to do a better job in getting to the free throw line.

Kenpom has us at 169. I think that's not bad considering our bad losses. Gotta wonder where we would be if we put Marshall away

Not a stat, however couldn't find a better thread to put this in.

As of today, in the conference tourney we'd get Old Dominion and then MT. Not minimizing either of those programs but I'd feel somewhat confident that a 3rd game is, at the very least, a possibility.

Not a stat, however couldn't find a better thread to put this in.

As of today, in the conference tourney we'd get Old Dominion and then MT. Not minimizing either of those programs but I'd feel somewhat confident that a 3rd game is, at the very least, a possibility.
Let's see how we do against MT on Monday. The Marshall loss might come back to haunts us. Without it we're only one game behind a double bye. We can still work our way back into it but we're gonna need some help instead of controlling our own destiny.

Let's see how we do against MT on Monday. The Marshall loss might come back to haunts us. Without it we're only one game behind a double bye. We can still work our way back into it but we're gonna need some help instead of controlling our own destiny.
If we win the next two then it's gonna be a fun home stand and another chance for Senter to fill the Don, but first things first.

Reactions: mikesarabia
We were 1st in the country in one defensive stat...free throw .638% 🤣🤣

Our 3pt defense was top 60.

We were 33rd in free throw .76% and 68th in steals. Our 3pt shooting ended up at .35%

Last edited:
Reactions: MinerManiac
Boum recently tied for 2nd most steals in a game by a miner (7) and of course just had the 2nd triple double in UTEP history.

I just saw that TV had more blocks in his 1 season at Duquesne (71) than in his entire career at UTEP so far (67). Weird.
****ing weird. What happened to him? We have to upgrade at the 5. Would love TV to stay…and be backup.

TV appears to have the skills to be a good shot blocker but that stat is dependent on multiple factors. Who you play alongside, where and what your responsibilities are in the defense and even the offensive style predominant in the opposition. The last few years seems most teams we play are drive and dish styles and less take to the basket or post up. IMO makes for less chances to block a shot. TV is fairly mobile for a big guy, but he isn't overly strong or a quick jumper and gets bumped off his spot a lot.

Kevin Kalu has a big body. Would love to see him develop and this Juco kid from Louisiana is 6'10 280 pounds.

If the Miners keep can keep this core group together, they can make a run. Guys I am concerned about would be Giffa and Clardy. They just look too timid to be effective.

Kevin Kalu has a big body. Would love to see him develop and this Juco kid from Louisiana is 6'10 280 pounds.

If the Miners keep can keep this core group together, they can make a run. Guys I am concerned about would be Giffa and Clardy. They just look too timid to be effective.
My guess is that Kalu, and Giffa are transferring. As a walk on that got in legal trouble, I'm not sure Clardy will be back as well

My guess is that Kalu, and Giffa are transferring. As a walk on that got in legal trouble, I'm not sure Clardy will be back as well
Either Kalu or Maring should have red shirted this year. One of them will likely be gone (especially if TV stays). I remember reading somewhere that Kalu and Evans have a connection so im guessing Maring (Since we have a bigger body coming in). We will know a lot more in the next month. I also think White and Giffa (or both) are at risk. Right now we are at 15.

Either Kalu or Maring should have red shirted this year. One of them will likely be gone (especially if TV stays). I remember reading somewhere that Kalu and Evans have a connection so im guessing Maring (Since we have a bigger body coming in). We will know a lot more in the next month. I also think White and Giffa (or both) are at risk. Right now we are at 15.

I think Maring is gone as long as Kalu stays. Kalu has tons of upside whereas Maring has none. Maring is already at his peak and that is simply not what we need from a guy with his size.

I hope Kalu stays. I think he and Onyema can form a basis for a really strong inside game for us although I agree with everyone saying that we need at least one more big to help solidify our interior D.

We seem to have a plethora of smalls and mids available to us. I'm not worried about Golding filling our roster with those guys.

I'm fine with all of those leaving if we keep our starting 5 Onyema and make room for some transfers along with with Evans and Dos Anjos.

Reactions: axingfools1
Dude does have skills. but very raw. He needs time. Some of the guards need to go.
I agree, but I think we're in the minority. I thought Maring had the best offensive game of all our bigs. Has a passing game not all bigs have. Can finish at the rim decently. We just didn't get to see much of it. He was the most liable of all the bigs on defense though.

I agree, but I think we're in the minority. I thought Maring had the best offensive game of all our bigs. Has a passing game not all bigs have. Can finish at the rim decently. We just didn't get to see much of it. He was the most liable of all the bigs on defense though.
Defense was seriously his weak spot. However, that can be taught.

Reactions: axingfools1
Defense was seriously his weak spot. However, that can be taught.
Yes it can be taught. In fact it usually is only learned in this day and age after it is taught. Coach Sampson, known for being a defensive savant, says that the hardest thing for his players to buy into is the importance of being a good defender.

Now, the one thing I question about Maring is hustle, his drive. He appears to play half assed at times. Either that, or he is asleep at the wheel some of the time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT