ADVERTISEMENT

Meanwhile UTSA is Whipping UT

It is sad that UTSA is miles ahead of UTEP in football after only being in existence for 11 years. It is apparent that the University must put resources into the program and unfortunately UTEP does not focus on that.

UTEP doesn't have resources to put into football, even if it wanted

Our athletic budget is larger than UTSA's and we sponsor less sports than they do.

And UTSA made a commitment to invest heavily in the athletic department and had been planning to do so for a long time; hence they got into the AAC. UTEP can't commit to a basketball coaching contract, let alone program development.

Reactions: kickballpro
And UTSA made a commitment to invest heavily in the athletic department and had been planning to do so for a long time; hence they got into the AAC. UTEP can't commit to a basketball coaching contract, let alone program development.
That's a lack of institutional leadership and vision not resources. We have the resources to compete with them.

Reactions: Rot and Lil_Train
Our athletic budget is larger than UTSA's and we sponsor less sports than they do.
Athletic budget doesn't account for capital investments.

They have way more money invested into their football program and have a much greater recruiting area. There's no comparison between us and them whatsoever.

Most of UTSA's investments have been in the form of bonds and loans.
Are you willing to pay more taxes for the football program to make improvements? I would, but most people here are not willing to do it. That means UTEP would need to take out a 40 million loan. That's never going to happen.

"RACE is a $40.4 million athletic training facility located on 10.8 acres of land near the southwest corner of the university’s Main Campus. It was made possible through philanthropic gifts, support from the City of San Antonio’s 2017 bond referendum and financing from the Roadrunner Foundation."

This came from the article about the new facilities.

Are you willing to pay more taxes for the football program to make improvements? I would, but most people here are not willing to do it. That means UTEP would need to take out a 40 million loan. That's never going to happen.

"RACE is a $40.4 million athletic training facility located on 10.8 acres of land near the southwest corner of the university’s Main Campus. It was made possible through philanthropic gifts, support from the City of San Antonio’s 2017 bond referendum and financing from the Roadrunner Foundation."

This came from the article about the new facilities.
UTEP can’t tax us. They need to raise the athletic fee on students.

Universities do issue bonds, but I’m pretty sure private investors not taxpayers invest.
Yes and no. The bonds UTSA got was in the form of property taxes increase from the county. Their debt however was in the form of bonds that purchased by Roadrunner Foundation. That's why the article made it a point to highlight them differently instead of just saying bonds and lumping two different cash flows together.

Yes and no. The bonds UTSA got was in the form of property taxes increase from the county. Their debt however was in the form of bonds that purchased by Roadrunner Foundation. That's why the article made it a point to highlight them differently instead of just saying bonds and lumping two different cash flows together.
No way El Paso will vote for another tax to support Miner Athletics.

Reactions: Taco1977
Homeowners are taxed to death here; renters don’t GAF.

Students have to chip in more via a raised athletics fee. Every other school does it.
Agreed, but one of Wilson's missions when hired was to make school more affordable for Latino students. Since that's the overwhelming majority of the student base, it'd be hard to raise very much money. To be perfectly honest, I don't think the board of directors cares too much about elevating the athletic programs. Their focus seems to be only higher education. As a sports fan I don't like, but as a grandparent with a grandchild enrolled there, I love it.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Agreed, but one of Wilson's missions when hired was to make school more affordable for Latino students. Since that's the overwhelming majority of the student base, it'd be hard to raise very much money. To be perfectly honest, I don't think the board of directors cares too much about elevating the athletic programs. Their focus seems to be only higher education. As a sports fan I don't like, but as a grandparent with a grandchild enrolled there, I love it.
More affordable than Granny had it? Good grief, it’s cheap enough. Plus, get 4.0, and you can transfer to UT.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT