ADVERTISEMENT

Mens BB first exibition game

I didn't even take into account concessions. I really don't see how they are going to attract the average fan with a 40 minute scrimmage and a slam dunk and three point contest. My guess is less than 1,000 people will attend.

Fan morale is very low. I say 1500 to 1800 is possible. Downside, to close to back to school time. Socorro ISD is in school and some private schools are in class.

Reactions: sportsfan5000
I didn't even take into account concessions. I really don't see how they are going to attract the average fan with a 40 minute scrimmage and a slam dunk and three point contest. My guess is less than 1,000 people will attend.
You are probably right on the attendance, but its not only the price that will deter some people from coming, Its the quality of the product. Win and more people will come. Otherwise some people just bitch bitch bitch about money and somehow want everything for free.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
This is something that could have been held inside Memorial Gym IF it was basketball ready.
I think that is a reasonable idea. Get the fans closer to the players maybe. Otherwise the players don't play games there and it also loses the spectacle of the DHC. Also, there is the risk of more people coming than expected.

The team is going to Costa Rica whether 1 or 5000 people show. Its just a donation/fundraiser to the program (for the kids). Fans of the game and of the miners will go if they can IMO.

I'm not sure if that was a joke or not.....hard to tell on a message board.

just in case...

Families will be spending all their money on back to school stuff. This scrimmage won't be on the list of things to spend money on.

Doesn't the price of a ticket come with an additional surcharge?

but if your comment was in jest.....ha!

I'm not sure if that was a joke or not.....hard to tell on a message board.

just in case...

Families will be spending all their money on back to school stuff. This scrimmage won't be on the list of things to spend money on.

Doesn't the price of a ticket come with an additional surcharge?

but if your comment was in jest.....ha!
There are always things to do on the weekend and to say that families will be spending all their money on back to school stuff is a little far fetched. If you can't go then don't go. Making excuses is not really my thing. Sorry.

Reactions: miner1liner
Sports fan and filiutep have a point. UTEP needs the money but
unfortunately a lot of people can't afford going to a game with a
family of four. You are talking soda snacks and tickets. You would
spend easy over 100 bill.

Go Miners.
chump change... El Paso doesn't understand what they have in their backyard... Many cities DO NOT have a division 1 (FBS) level school. You will spend more money at the movies, and $100? Eat before you go and just snack at the game...

Look dude, I will be there. BUT This is EL paso....get real
So last night, the sub .500 Chihuahuas had 8,188 in attendance during the tax-free weekend and during preseason NFL games (amongst all the other things to do in EP). This is El Paso. Provide a good experience and a fun atmosphere for families and people will come. $10 is nothing when your looking for entertainment, especially from a team or sport that you enjoy watching. If YOU think its too expensive then thats YOUR opinion. You don't represent all of El Paso. Enjoy the scrimmage!

Reactions: unihorn
Valid points....The crowd was bigger than I expected. I think if the experience was more "fun", they might have drawn better.

The basketball scrimmage attendance was good. Most schools wouldn't attract 100 people or even attempt to. The scrimmage would be the equivalent of the chihuahuas having a batting practice in December and charging fans to watch. Nobody would go to that. Today wasnt for fun it was for hardcore basketball fans.

Its on a Saturday. No school...

It was tax free weekend this past weekend. I should have been more specific. Parents now have to buy all the supplies for their child for the entire year, public, private or whatever you want to legally label it. It is expensive.

Listen, the whole show was a half-assed effort. The organization was poor, the publicity effort was poor. And or course the fan reaction was poor.

Reactions: sportsfan5000
First surprise of the evening was when this young man showed up in uniform ready to play. He is 1 year removed from high school and attended prep school last year. Is slight of build so a redshirt year would not do him wrong. He's got some skills through.

I was pleasantly surprised with him as well, jdub. You expect crap from a walk on, but he was far from it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT