ADVERTISEMENT

Menzies fired at UNLV

Rocketsr

MI VIP
Sep 8, 2001
Only took 3 seasons, second had 20 wins, and 17 this year. Not sure if it was the right thing to do. NMSU has 30 wins now with his recruiting class from 3 years ago. I thought he would be allowed to recruit as he has 11 freshmen/soph and still had a winning record. They are in full rebuild mode. Secondly, they have the highest GPA in UNLV history.
Had to be other reasons. I think they are making a play for Rick Pitino.

Last edited:
Menzies too good of a guy for that program. It would be right for them to hire a guy like Pitino.

IMO the quick turnaround and success of Nevada with Musselman had a lot to do with it.

Musselman took over a reeling program and instantly turned them into a major force. Menzies just didn’t get the job done fast enough for the bigs at UNLV.

Fwiw UNLV has publicly said Pitino is not under consideration.

Sometimes bigger jobs aren’t always better. I don’t think Menzies deserved to be fired but the expectations are unrealistic.

Just because they have said publicly that Pitino is not under consideration means nothing. That is the balloon released to see what the feedback is. How many times have we heard that said. This university does not care about its image, obviously when you fire a guy that had the highest GPA in history, and that never made the papers.
Pitino would have been there years ago if they had not dropped his wife off at the curb for her plane at the airport (True story substantiated by Mrs. Wynn who is a big donor).

Reactions: ZonaMiner
He wasn't their 1st choice as coach, and he got the job because Beard bolted for Texas Tech days after accepting the UNLV position. Like Corona mentioned, Musselman's has had quick success at in-state rival Nevada, and Menzies never finished better than 4th place in the MW. So it really isn't surprising that he got fired after year 3. UNLV is going after a big name and they have the name recognition and money to reel one in.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
I think after 3 years here menzies would be in hot seat also.
At UTEP?????? Maybe after 30 years. UTEP would have been happy with the GPA and would have given him an extension.
No one is ever in the hot seat at UTEP until they have driven the program into the ground and then retire.

Only opposing coach I wish the best for. Never let the rivalry get ugly when he had every right too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT