ADVERTISEMENT

Midseason UTEP basketball drama?

I really liked Hawkins. He is athletic and energetic. He is not afraid. Sad to see him and Eze go (half of Terry's 1st class). I won't be surprised if Efe is next. The only way I'm ok with this is if we get a BIG time player that can run the team and score. Someone to go along with Williams. Terry really needs to step up his recruiting efforts now.

Last edited:
Could be. Hope I'm wrong. Are you satisfied with the progress of this year's Miners? Are we where you thought we'd be?
I have stated my disappointment with the Hawaii Tournament. However Collapse is absolutely not a word I would use just yet. If they lose 10 games in conference and the Hawkins loss completely brings down the team, then yes it will be a collapse. I don't see that happening though. It's too early for a collapse, maybe some bricks have fallen out to cause concern, but nothings Collapsed yet.

I have stated my disappointment with the Hawaii Tournament. However Collapse is absolutely not a word I would use just yet. If they lose 10 games in conference and the Hawkins loss completely brings down the team, then yes it will be a collapse. I don't see that happening though. It's too early for a collapse, maybe some bricks have fallen out to cause concern, but nothings Collapsed yet.
Voice of reason. A collapse would be this mornings Arsenal game or the Falcons losing to the patriots being ahead. Some have really high expectations for a second year coach

Last edited:
If the “brains” of your staff was a guy who had an “incident” with his wife during the season, took a bribe for college admission, and had a 40-52 coaching record, then what does that say about you???
Any charges with the "incident" with the wife? They chose to not press charges, probably because it was crap.

Smith has never been charged with bribery to this day. In fact, he didn't get money in that situation, he was the scapegoat. FBI never even went to chat with him. Furthermore, he was never even named in the email. BUT....a cloud still hangs over his head because this is never really final.

And if you want to really look at his coaching record, he had 9 wins in year one, 13 in year 2, and 20 in year 3. Yeah, I think he can coach.

Judgmental much? Geez I'm glad you are without flaws

Voice of reason. A collapse would be this mornings Arsenal game or the Falcons losing to the patriots being ahead. Some have really high expectations for a second year coach

Losing by 20 to Houston and going 1-3 on a road trip and beating a mediocre team by 1 point is a collapse.

I didn't have high expectations, but I expected to be competitive with Houston and win more than 1 game in Hawaii.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
Losing by 20 to Houston and going 1-3 on a road trip and beating a mediocre team by 1 point is a collapse.

I didn't have high expectations, but I expected to be competitive with Houston and win more than 1 game in Hawaii.
Actually according to the Vegas odds a collapse is what was supposed to happen. We were underdogs in the last five games. We won two out of those and none of the four losses can be considered bad.

We’re projected to go 7-7 in conference play starting with two losses in Florida.

Imo a collapse would have meant entering conference play under .500 and going worse than .500 in the next 14 games.

Any charges with the "incident" with the wife? They chose to not press charges, probably because it was crap.

Smith has never been charged with bribery to this day. In fact, he didn't get money in that situation, he was the scapegoat. FBI never even went to chat with him. Furthermore, he was never even named in the email. BUT....a cloud still hangs over his head because this is never really final.

And if you want to really look at his coaching record, he had 9 wins in year one, 13 in year 2, and 20 in year 3. Yeah, I think he can coach.

Judgmental much? Geez I'm glad you are without flaws

How many times have you been arrested? How many times did the charges get dropped?
How many times has your name been brought up in bribery, stealing, or something similar involving money, publicly?

His coaching record isn’t that bad, but he didn’t make the NIT or NCAA. Let’s not act like he was going to be the next Roy Williams here. He was an college assistant for 16 years before getting the USD job.

Like I said, if that guy was the “brains” of your operation, then maybe Terry isn’t the “genius” some of you guys think he is.

Can’t speak for him, but in reality probably what collapsed are miner1liner’s expectations...which I can relate to. Some of the wind has been taken out of my sails, too, as of recent.

But not because of our record, as some people keep using as justification for why all is good in the neighborhood. Whereas we are certainly stronger in a few areas, it’s become apparent that we will probably experience a season long struggle in several key aspects of our game.

1) I thought Lathon would have improved as a PG from last year to this year.
2) I thought we would finally be a strong rebounding team.
3) I thought we’d see improvement in perimeter shooting.

Those deficiencies will be hard to overcome. Knowing that, it’s time for me to just sit back and take whatever we can get from this team. I always thought next year would be our year, as well, but unless those deficiencies are addressed, I believe we’ll be in the same place we are now.

Last edited:
Can’t speak for him, but in reality probably what collapsed are miner1liner’s expectations...which I can relate to. Some of the wind has been taken out of my sails, too, as of recent.

But not because of our record, as some people keep using as justification for why all good in the hood. Whereas we are certainly stronger in a few areas, it’s become apparent that we will probably experience a season long struggle in several key aspects of our game.

Those deficiencies will be hard to overcome. Knowing that, it’s time for me to just sit back and take whatever we can get from this team. I always thought next year would be our year, as well, but unless those deficiencies are addressed, I believe we’ll be in the same place we are now.
Agree FanatiCoog. Terry mentioned that some expected a ready made team (including myself to a certain extent), but that is clearly not the case up to this point. There is no substitute for game experience. I wanted to add one additional deficiency to the list: Turnovers. Way too many of the turnovers have been unforced, which we can't have going into conference play. I did like the added athleticism brought forth by Tarke and Archie, and I think that will help in the rebounding area. However, additional rebounds can't come at the expense of more turnovers. I'm hoping the shooting comes around, and that Lathon stabilizes his play going into conference. There is plenty of potential there, and it is a great luxury to have a guy like Williams. My focus moving forward will be to see if Terry is able to elevate the game of the rest of the team.

But not because of our record, as some people keep using as justification for why all good in the hood. Whereas we are certainly stronger in a few areas, it’s become apparent that we will probably experience a season long struggle in several key aspects of our game.

Collapse has several and varied definitions. I guess mine are close to "fall, cave in, crumble, breakdown, lose vital energy". I did not expect a 20 point loss to Houston; maybe a loss, but not downright whippin. I didn't expect to get just one win in Hawaii and that by a mere one point. I didn't expect that we would be so dependent on one player. I didn't expect all the hyped talent on our new roster to be so void of perimeter shooting, ball handling, rebounding, etc. I reviewed our various posts from back in October and into November after beating NM and NMSU. The expectations remained very high at that point and even after a narrow loss in Cruces. Since then however, things haven't gone so we'll. I see no signs of improvement, in fact to me it's stagnant. Lathon has pretty much defined the team's progress from last season to the beginning of this season to now. More than one of us suggested giving Hawkins time at the point and watch him develop and now he's gone and I ask, "Who is Lathon's backup?". Terry finally caved in and changed his lineup to allow Tarke, Archie, occasionally Stroud, maybe more of Efe, etc. so this gives me some hope that things have the potential of moving away from stagnation and toward some kind of an effective offense. I'll stop here, but I could ramble forever.
Collapse! Maybe my pal Fanaticoog is right; in my mind it's been a collapse due to my unwarranted expectations.
I didn't want to rely on the worn out "wait till next year cry" again. I was primed for THIS year.

I’m not as disappointed cuz I had more realistic expectations. If it was that simple to “create a team” I don’t think Terry would be here.

It’s all an experiment that might or might not work.

Stansbury second team at WKU didn’t have it all figured out by the end of ooc. They went 8-5. They didn’t have it all figured out by the end of the conference play. They finished third. They didn’t have it figured out by the end of conference tournament. They finished runners up. They didn’t have it figured out by the end of the nit. They finished in the semifinals. They still had a great season.

Not even the teams with long-term coaching and fifth year seniors have it all figured out. It’s really about who gets hot at the end.

I’m glad we’re not blowing teams out and hitting on all cylinders, while in the back of our minds we’re all wondering when the steam is going to run out.

One last thing, stop blaming Terry for the lack of certain players playing time. Have you thought that maybe there were certain issues we might not know about that needed to be worked out.

Collapse has several and varied definitions. I guess mine are close to "fall, cave in, crumble, breakdown, lose vital energy". I did not expect a 20 point loss to Houston; maybe a loss, but not downright whippin. I didn't expect to get just one win in Hawaii and that by a mere one point. I didn't expect that we would be so dependent on one player. I didn't expect all the hyped talent on our new roster to be so void of perimeter shooting, ball handling, rebounding, etc. I reviewed our various posts from back in October and into November after beating NM and NMSU. The expectations remained very high at that point and even after a narrow loss in Cruces. Since then however, things haven't gone so we'll. I see no signs of improvement, in fact to me it's stagnant. Lathon has pretty much defined the team's progress from last season to the beginning of this season to now. More than one of us suggested giving Hawkins time at the point and watch him develop and now he's gone and I ask, "Who is Lathon's backup?". Terry finally caved in and changed his lineup to allow Tarke, Archie, occasionally Stroud, maybe more of Efe, etc. so this gives me some hope that things have the potential of moving away from stagnation and toward some kind of an effective offense. I'll stop here, but I could ramble forever.
Collapse! Maybe my pal Fanaticoog is right; in my mind it's been a collapse due to my unwarranted expectations.
I didn't want to rely on the worn out "wait till next year cry" again. I was primed for THIS year.

Well said. I would only rephrase one thing. Just by having expectations, we can set ourselves up for disappointment. It’s often times a risk I’m willing to take. It adds flavor to life. I don’t think your expectations were unwarranted at all. In fact I think they were completely justifiable and I was right there with you, as so many others were/are.

I’m not as disappointed cuz I had more realistic expectations. If it was that simple to “create a team” I don’t think Terry would be here.

It’s all an experiment that might or might not work.

Stansbury second team at WKU didn’t have it all figured out by the end of ooc. They went 8-5. They didn’t have it all figured out by the end of the conference play. They finished third. They didn’t have it figured out by the end of conference tournament. They finished runners up. They didn’t have it figured out by the end of the nit. They finished in the semifinals. They still had a great season.

Not even the teams with long-term coaching and fifth year seniors have it all figured out. It’s really about who gets hot at the end.

I’m glad we’re not blowing teams out and hitting on all cylinders, while in the back of our minds we’re all wondering when the steam is going to run out.

One last thing, stop blaming Terry for the lack of certain players playing time. Have you thought that maybe there were certain issues we might not know about that needed to be worked out.

That’s a smart and practical way to view this process. I wasn’t graced with such pragmatism in regards to certain things. I wear my heart on my sleeve about shit that doesn’t really matter in the grand scheme of things, and don’t do so when sometimes maybe I should.:)

Actually according to the Vegas odds a collapse is what was supposed to happen. We were underdogs in the last five games. We won two out of those and none of the four losses can be considered bad.

We’re projected to go 7-7 in conference play starting with two losses in Florida.

Imo a collapse would have meant entering conference play under .500 and going worse than .500 in the next 14 games.

Houston was favorite by 20?

Nevermind Hawkins, you rock!!!

If You’re With Us Then You’re Not Against Us!

Hawkins is the new Jon Bohannon. Probably fake quit a few more times over the next 2 years.

Reactions: Autograph Boy
There goes 9 ppg. Archie and Stroud are averaging 8 ppg while doing it in half the minutes.

That clears up the playing time dilemma.

I can’t keep up with the departures and arrivals.

Reactions: MinerManiac
Thanks for proving my point about the collapse about losing by 20.
I didn’t prove anything for you. Lol. You said on another thread that the 2010 team was better than this team. Guess what, they lost by 20 at home to a team that’s not as good as Houston is and has been. That didn’t mean the team collapsed.

I didn’t prove anything for you. Lol. You said on another thread that the 2010 team was better than this team. Guess what, they lost by 20 at home to a team that’s not as good as Houston is and has been. That didn’t mean the team collapsed.

No, the 10-11 team didn't lose by 20 at home to any team.

Last edited:
Where the hell are the other EP sportscasters? Andy Morgan seems to always pull the breaking news? Are the others hitting the transfer portal for bigger markets!?!

Kappys busy trying beers
Lou cashing his checks
I don’t even know if KVIA has sports anchors....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT