ADVERTISEMENT

Midseason UTEP basketball drama?

Where the hell are the other EP sportscasters? Andy Morgan seems to always pull the breaking news? Are the others hitting the transfer portal for bigger markets!?!

Kappys busy trying beers
Lou cashing his checks
I don’t even know if KVIA has sports anchors....
Way to go Handy Andy.

Wow this is getting ugly real quick. Senter hired Kugler 2.0 and it now looks like he has hired Floyd 2.0 in basketball. And both are making 700k , so both will be here for awhile. The Senter hire is looking more and more like a complete disaster.

It's been real ugly for a while. I think Senter knows his two big hires may be duds which is why he will eventually bail on the athletic program and accept a reassignment to another administrative position.

Last edited:
Is Senter even qualified for that administrative position??? And why would UTEP even give him the courtesy of reassigning him when he has put the mens BB and football team in a huge hole? They should fire his ass and send a message.

Reactions: Autograph Boy
Is Senter even qualified for that administrative position??? And why would UTEP even give him the courtesy of reassigning him when he has put the mens BB and football team in a huge hole? They should fire his ass and send a message.

Please. We don’t even know how the basketball team will play the rest of the year. It’s not like Bryson Williams is leaving mid-year. If they win those 3 games in March, they’ll be in the NCAAs and nobody will give a shit about this.

One other thing, you look at these programs that lose a coach. Those coaches didn't stay to coach their bowl game... Dimel did, and it was just another bowl game. That alone showed us Dimel was not the right hire. Say what you want, but next year wont be better. He MIGHT win 2 games... but he might not win ANYTHING either.

I'm relieved that Hawkins isn't leaving, but puzzled, and not happy, about Lathon leaving. Lathon hasn't lived up to expectations so far this season, but he is athletically gifted and has proven to have the proverbial ice water in his veins in big moments. I would like to know the reason behind his decision.

As for Stroud, he is extremely athletic, and can definitely contribute if he learns to play within his capabilities. I hope that he stays.

HIGH DRAMA
I'm relieved that Hawkins isn't leaving, but puzzled, and not happy, about Lathon leaving. Lathon hasn't lived up to expectations so far this season, but he is athletically gifted and has proven to have the proverbial ice water in his veins in big moments. I would like to know the reason behind his decision.

As for Stroud, he is extremely athletic, and can definitely contribute if he learns to play within his capabilities. I hope that he stays.
I don't by any means suggest that this unwanted drama is a continuation of the Floyd era, but for crying out loud; can't we get through a season without an episode like this? I think all on this site agree that Lathon's performance this year has been a mystery.

xJurb14441986752.gif

Don’t worry friends, the guys leaving are sucky quitters! We don’t need or want them anyway!

Coach Terry has better players lined up for next year and we’ll be really good!!! Assuming UT doesn’t hire the coach of the best UTEP team since 2010!

Lastly, I hope the refs don’t screw us out of any games like they did against NMSU, Houston, Hawaii, and Boise St.

Reactions: Autograph Boy
Lathon hasn't lived up to expectations so far this season, but he is athletically gifted and has proven to have the proverbial ice water in his veins in big moments.

Not against Hawai'i. He turned the ball over several times late in a very winnable game. His departure will not likely hurt very much. We just need Hawkins to step up now that he's staying.

Im confused.

People were angry at Lathon for being clumsy and now that he is leaving. People wanting him benched. Now that he is leaving people are angry.

There goes 9 ppg. Archie and Stroud are averaging 8 ppg while doing it in half the minutes.

That clears up the playing time dilemma.

I can’t keep up with the departures and arrivals.
Doesn't clear up the depth problem tho.

Im confused.

People were angry at Lathon for being clumsy and now that he is leaving. People wanting him benched. Now that he is leaving people are angry.

As someone who complained about Lathon's and Boum's minutes in the past I want to make sure that my position this season is understood. I never suggested that either guy ride the pine. With four guys at the beginning of the season, and five now that Archie is available, playing three positions it is possible to play everyone between 20 to 30 mpg on average. That was my suggestion: decrease the three starters' minutes and allow Hawkins to play more minutes. This would allow a guy that I thought was playing much better than some of the starters to get more minutes, while keeping everyone fresh.

As far as Lathon's game goes, I don't know if his poor play so far this season is a sign of things to come, or just merely a sophomore slump. I do know that he has shown potential, and that I wasn't ready to give up on him. I'm sad to see him leave, but best of luck to him.

I'm just reading all this now.

I'm glad Hawkins is staying. I think he is the better player in the long run. Good luck to Lathon.

Terry needs to really sit with Stroud and figure things out. Terry has said many times that Stroud has the highest ceiling. We can't lose him too. Some of the guard/SF minutes are free now.

As someone who complained about Lathon's and Boum's minutes in the past I want to make sure that my position this season is understood. I never suggested that either guy ride the pine. With four guys at the beginning of the season, and five now that Archie is available, playing three positions it is possible to play everyone between 20 to 30 mpg on average. That was my suggestion: decrease the three starters' minutes and allow Hawkins to play more minutes. This would allow a guy that I thought was playing much better than some of the starters to get more minutes, while keeping everyone fresh.

As far as Lathon's game goes, I don't know if his poor play so far this season is a sign of things to come, or just merely a sophomore slump. I do know that he has shown potential, and that I wasn't ready to give up on him. I'm sad to see him leave, but best of luck to him.
Lathon... Honestly don't think it was a soph slump. I sensed all along that there was some kind of mind related problem; either self inflicted or with the coaches or teammates. We'll probably never know.

I had some concerns watching the Hawaii games on tv. Real bad body language on the floor at times. Chemistry seemed off. No communication on defense giving up embarrassing plays under the basket several times that last game. Bad spacing. Seems like with adding Archie and shortening the rotation even more destroyed a bit of the chemistry. I hope they all stay....this over recruiting shit has got to stop.

How do you know Basketball is in a huge hole? Is the season over? You are assuming they're going to have a losing season again? One of the kids leaving isn't even a factor on the team, the other one was going to see his time replaced by Hawkins anyways and was in a slump.This team is much improved, and this is just year 2. Wait and see where the chips land before assuming doom and gloom. I hope you're still on this forum at the end of season and next season for basketball I'd love to have this conversation again at that time. I for one am not panicking.

Reactions: minerfan_14
On the bright side despite all the internal drama we had no idea about this team still has one of the best records and the second highest net ranking in the conference.

We could see the team performance affected on the court and were quick to blame coaching. It’s what I’ve said all along, this team hasn’t gelled and lacks chemistry.

I really believe once this clears up we will become better. I think this team will still lose a few more games we should have won but they will be extremely dangerous by pod play and beyond.

My question is stroud staying or leaving?? I hope he stays he really should get some time now...
I don’t know why he would leave. Based of Twitter I thought him and Nigel were good friends. They would stay after games and practice shooting. I don’t know why Stroud would want to leave with Lathon when now he could be getting a bigger share of minutes. I honestly don’t know.

Reactions: miner1liner
How do you know Basketball is in a huge hole? Is the season over? You are assuming they're going to have a losing season again? One of the kids leaving isn't even a factor on the team, the other one was going to see his time replaced by Hawkins anyways and was in a slump.This team is much improved, and this is just year 2. Wait and see where the chips land before assuming doom and gloom. I hope you're still on this forum at the end of season and next season for basketball I'd love to have this conversation again at that time. I for one am not panicking.
It has been more than one player leaving. Gilyard, Wenzel ,Eze, Zarzuela, Lathon, and now maybe Stroud. That is a lot in a year and very concerning. I sure hope it is nothing to worry about, but usually when there is smoke, there is fire. And on top of that, we have an AD who is in way over his head for this job and doesn't seem to have the best judgement in hiring coaches. I would love to have a conversation that we made the NCAA Tourney with you in a few months. All this player turnover drama and people saying "wait until the season is over and then lets talk" just reminds me of the Tim Floyd era and nothing has changed.

The others though were easy to see though... terry wanted his players and then his freshman came in and saw they were the worst players probably on the team and did not want to wait for playing time...all of the names on that list is about playing time with the only interesting one being lathon

Reactions: Cube Jack
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT