ADVERTISEMENT

Miner TMZ

Glad things worked out for him. I remember when the incident he was convicted for happened a guy I knew from high school worked at the bar next to tthe alley and claimed he saw the while thing and that it was exaggerated. Not sure how true that is. You know how rumors work

The local police were for some reason on him for a long time, that's all I can say. It is still to this very day an extremely touchy subject for some UTEP fans, especially those who knew Singleton well because they believe his promising pro career got axed by an overly aggressive DA (out to make political points that his office is no soft spine on crime democrat and an investigative PD department that may have been overly fixated on him). This story literally has twists and turns and really would make an interesting book if it were pursued because it really does have big city copper cat and mouse law enforcement tragedy (ending a promising career by police) but with a happy ending drama. He had a great career ahead and since I was a Buc fan, I remember reading he and Mike Alstott were putting on a show at camp fighting for the position and there really was no clear cut winner at that time. He would've played on Sundays on someone's roster because he was just such a punishing back.

Reactions: Cube Jack
The local police were for some reason on him for a long time, that's all I can say. It is still to this very day an extremely touchy subject for some UTEP fans, especially those who knew Singleton well because they believe his promising pro career got axed by an overly aggressive DA (out to make political points that his office is no soft spine on crime democrat and an investigative PD department that may have been overly fixated on him). This story literally has twists and turns and really would make an interesting book if it were pursued because it really does have big city copper cat and mouse law enforcement tragedy (ending a promising career by police) but with a happy ending drama. He had a great career ahead and since I was a Buc fan, I remember reading he and Mike Alstott were putting on a show at camp fighting for the position and there really was no clear cut winner at that time. He would've played on Sundays on someone's roster because he was just such a punishing back.
Wasn't there some incident near Ascarate Lake that happened when he was still at Coronado? I think it involves a few locals. I'm only reminded of this because I remember he and a guy I knew in high school duked it out for three years on the football field. That guy unfortunately never went on to a college career and a few years later was shot and killed in Juarez. I remember Singleton being our back at UTEP when I was a student. I always felt bad for that offense because it was pretty much Singleton up the middle on first down, Singleton right or left on 2nd, incomplete pass on 3rd followed by a punt on 4th

giphy.gif

Thread of the Summer!

Reactions: Lil_Train
I was in Dr. Pineda’s class at UTEP during the fall semester of 09 I believe and I saw exactly when Culpepper and Nichole Gomez first met during the first or second day of the semester. Started off as some friendly conversations then it become more and more obvious later they were real close. Funny how that happens.

Reactions: Cube Jack
Wasn't there some incident near Ascarate Lake that happened when he was still at Coronado? I think it involves a few locals. I'm only reminded of this because I remember he and a guy I knew in high school duked it out for three years on the football field. That guy unfortunately never went on to a college career and a few years later was shot and killed in Juarez. I remember Singleton being our back at UTEP when I was a student. I always felt bad for that offense because it was pretty much Singleton up the middle on first down, Singleton right or left on 2nd, incomplete pass on 3rd followed by a punt on 4th
Whoa! That was a gangland execution. I was at Ascarate for that rock concert (Lita Ford) and they put Ascarate on lock down. It took hours until I got out with an old girlfriend. Are you saying he was part of that?!

There was that time that Tim Hardaway made some politically incorrect statements and was made to recant.

Was it Gary Nord who had to be restrained from fighting an opposing coach after a game where he talked trash?

I'm pretty sure it was. He had the most volatile relationship with the El Paso media of any UTEP I can remember. He didnt like the media and they didnt like him.

Fred Albers would toss up broken football equipment to kids like me in the end zone!

The thrill of catching the football after a field goal was the best, even though we had to toss it back down.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
I remember Coach Nord said something along the lines of "we're gonna kick their A-double-Esses" about one game that caused a really stupid chain of complaints.

1) Hardaway getting caught stealing a plant;

2) Strelzin buying shoes for Hardaway against NCAA rules;

3) Haskins DWI;

4) Neil McCarthy’s single finger salute to Miner fans at the Don; and

5) Accusations by Wyoming basketball coach that Cappetto’s owner Ed Davis made racial remarks to him.

Oh yeah! Not even close. I think Floyd only went after one media member. Nord had it out for everybody especially the El Paso Times. He didnt like the local tv reporters much better.
Yup. There are reason for it but the past is past and rehashing it is of no use.

Looking back... The prosecutors who had Singleton convicted were Rick Locke and Michael Pleters.

Today you may know Mike Pleters as the spouse of one Veronica Escobar

Floyd ambushing Kappy

Weird seeing a few years later that coach Floyd was completely right. There were transfers all over the place and still are.

To this day I'm not sure why coach Floyd completely ignited like that when it would have been easy to explain calmly

I never liked how he used Steve's dad and Coach Haskins memories as some kind of reason for not getting angry before

Weird seeing a few years later that coach Floyd was completely right. There were transfers all over the place and still are.

To this day I'm not sure why coach Floyd completely ignited like that when it would have been easy to explain calmly

I never liked how he used Steve's dad and Coach Haskins memories as some kind of reason for not getting angry before
A) Floyd was a hot head.
B) The wheels were falling off the Floyd train. Fans were frustrated as TF failed to bring UTEP a wanted CUSA crown and/or NCAA berth. UTEP was losing to lesser opponents and melting down by February.
C) Kappy is the king of local sports radio with ESPN by his name, Floyd felt threatened as Kap was publicly asking that was going on? (at that particular point in time)
D) What made it disgusting is that it was allegedly green lighted by Stull who had grievances with Kap.
E) Josh McSwiggan transfer to Portland was a punch to the gut to UTEP fans and Floyd as well as UTEP went the extra mile to get him to UTEP. Floyd stated there is not much he could've done because JM "fell in love" and followed his sweet heart to Portland and transfers rules allowed it and there's nothing he could've done, which is true. This led to finger pointing between Stull/Floyd and their supporters vs a pissed off local fan base. Kap asked for someone from UTEP to explain what is going on? His pleas were ignored. Frustration on both sides grew as Floyd supporters were calling Kaps show and blasting him, on LIVE air. Fans showed up to home games with "Fire Floyd" signs. Fans were gun shy to come back to the DHC even with a new HC.

He made an ass of himself.

There was no justification for what Floyd did. Not counting Terry, you could make the argument that he’s the 2nd worst coach post Haskins and as fans who pay and donate money it‘s not unreasonable to question if he was the right man for the job. Walking out with Mrs. Haskins and waving clip on ties buys only so much time.
As was said on an earlier post the unfortunate thing about all of it was the fact that Floyd dragged Steve‘s dad into the mix and the fact that Stull let it all happen makes me glad they both are gone. You’re an idiot if you think you can take a job, suck and expect people to be cool with it. I thought Floyd was a rough and tough coach. He dealt with the press in Chicago, New Orleans and LA but Kappy got to him? He’s the furthest thing from a crazy hot take sports personality.

I went back and watched the video of the meltdown. I forgot how many times he called Steve "fiction" and kept returning to the tirade.

I never understood the excitement, but it seemed like people thought Floyd would wave his hands and turn UTEP into Duke or something. It was doomed to disappointment from the start.

I went back and watched the video of the meltdown. I forgot how many times he called Steve "fiction" and kept returning to the tirade.

I never understood the excitement, but it seemed like people thought Floyd would wave his hands and turn UTEP into Duke or something. It was doomed to disappointment from the start.

Losing to Memphis was his Waterloo.

I might say the Isaac Hamilton fiasco was the beginning of the end for him. When he committed to UTEP the rest of the country and certainly C-USA was put on notice. After they lost him it certainly felt like The Miners were never able to get a recruit of even that caliber again.

I honestly think it was the Pacific game. That game was hyped up like few others in program history. There was excitement. People legitimately thought UTEP's golden age in hoops may be ahead. That night he took a decisive loss to mediocre team. That night it became apparent he had put a governor on the Ferrari he inherited and turned it into a Ford Fiesta. You could feel the air come out of the balloon after that game. That night was the peak of excitement for Miner basketball over the last 30 years. Coming off 2010 people were excited. That excitement died quickly and began the long descent into complete irrelevance. Even when we got to the cusa tourney championship game we didn't sale it out. That night was the death of a dream and the beginning of a harsh reality.

Anyone remember when Chris Sandle was arrested for kicking down a dormitory door? He had also been arrested for assaulting two women at a club. One of the "women" was 15 so I don't know what she was doing inside a club.

As much as it pains me to say, if Julyan Stone could finish at the rim we win this game. I remember seeing that ball swirl around the rim and pop out. Still thought that team warranted an invite to the dance.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT