ADVERTISEMENT

Miners #134 in latest football recruiting rankings

We're not gonna sign 20-plus players this year, so yes, UTEP will be dead last again in recruiting rankings, nothing new to see here.

We all gave Dimel a pass last season since he started recruiting late. This class he will be judged a bit harder by the fan base.

Kugler didn’t try and he pulled in higher ranking classes.

None of it will matter if he can win 3+ games and show signs of improvement.

We all gave Dimel a pass last season since he started recruiting late. This class he will be judged a bit harder by the fan base.

Kugler didn’t try and he pulled in higher ranking classes.

None of it will matter if he can win 3+ games and show signs of improvement.

When ? Kuglers classes were always last.

Reactions: UTEPfan1966
I know that making a living out of finding diamonds in the rough is a tough way to do it, but Dimel appeared to do a pretty good job of this last year. Zuri looks like a legit 4 year starter, yet last year 247sports rated him as a 2 star player and they only ranked him as our 20th best recruit last year. Klein will likely be a 4 1/2 year starter(he has already started 4 games and he will still be a redshirt freshman next year). Last year Klein was also ranked as a 2 star player and they only ranked him as our 16th best recruit. From what I saw on the field, I will happily take both of those guys on our team for the next 3-4 years and I don't care if they were ranked as 2 stars last year. I also find it hard to believe that they were our 16th and 20th best signee's last year, but that is what 247sports said.

We also haven't even really seen most of our higher ranked players from Dimel's first recruiting class yet either. The main reason why we have already seen Henry and Klein was simply due to necessity because of the injury situation on the O line. I have heard good things about Amaewhule and I am also looking forward to seeing guys like Nwachukwu, Logoleo, and Walters in real game action as well, all 4 of those guys redshirted last year.

Dimel seems to have already built a solid foundation for the O-Line. Now with this year's recruiting class he could possibly be adding our QB of the future and a legit RB. I have heard people say that Hankins is a SEC caliber of RB since he was a Sophomore and this hype even became somewhat verified as he has at least 1 SEC offer. If we step back and look at it, Dimel is starting to now put some strong pieces behind the O line that he built first.

This rebuild might be a bit slow for some and it might even be another year or so before we start seeing his talent reach the field, but we can't forget the situation that Dimel inherited and realize that this type of major rebuild can't happen overnight, at least not by building with mostly high school recruits as he has done.

Plus 247sports currently has 25% of our recruits wrong as Elmore is no longer a commit and they have Mayers graded as a DT, when he will be an O lineman.

Last edited:
I know that making a living out of finding diamonds in the rough is a tough way to do it, but Dimel appeared to do a pretty good job of this last year. Zuri looks like a legit 4 year starter, yet last year 247sports rated him as a 2 star player and they only ranked him as our 20th best recruit last year. Klein will likely be a 4 1/2 year starter(he has already started 4 games and he will still be a redshirt freshman next year). Last year Klein was also ranked as a 2 star player and they only ranked him as our 16th best recruit. From what I saw on the field, I will happily take both of those guys on our team for the next 3-4 years and I don't care if they were ranked as 2 stars last year. I also find it hard to believe that they were our 16th and 20th best signee's last year, but that is what 247sports said.

We also haven't even really seen most of our higher ranked players from Dimel's first recruiting class yet either. The main reason why we have already seen Henry and Klein was simply due to necessity because of the injury situation on the O line. I have heard good things about Amaewhule and I am also looking forward to seeing guys like Nwachukwu, Logoleo, and Walters in real game action as well, all 4 of those guys redshirted last year.

Dimel seems to have already built a solid foundation for the O-Line. Now with this year's recruiting class he could possibly be adding our QB of the future and a legit RB. I have heard people say that Hankins is a SEC caliber of RB since he was a Sophomore and this hype even became somewhat verified as he has at least 1 SEC offer. If we step back and look at it, Dimel is starting to now put some strong pieces behind the O line that he built first.

This rebuild might be a bit slow for some and it might even be another year or so before we start seeing his talent reach the field, but we can't forget the situation that Dimel inherited and realize that this type of major rebuild can't happen overnight, at least not by building with mostly high school recruits as he has done.

Plus 247sports currently has 25% of our recruits wrong as Elmore is no longer a commit and they have Mayers graded as a DT, when he will be an O lineman.

Defense — what’s your early W-L prediction for this season?

Defense — what’s your early W-L prediction for this season?

I honestly don’t have a W/L guess right now. We were very competitive during the middle of last season. I think a goal for this upcoming year should be to play all 12 games at that same competitive level from the middle of last year. Consistency is a sign of legitimacy, so avoiding the slow start and poor finish like we had last year would be a good step forward.

Reactions: unihorn and JCorona
I honestly don’t have a W/L guess right now. We were very competitive during the middle of last season. I think a goal for this upcoming year should be to play all 12 games at that same competitive level from the middle of last year. Consistency is a sign of legitimacy, so avoiding the slow start and poor finish like we had last year would be a good step forward.

yup. we are consistently, and legitimately the worst team in the country...

I was hoping with one full year to recruit this bad streak would come to an end. Dimel and staff need to do a better job in bringing in better recruits. Looking at the rankings it sucks to see teams like nmsu, unm and texas state ahead of us.

Have we found out who our recruits are yet? A few names have been leaked but do we have the whole list? Our God Awful ranking may be based on very limited information. The coaches are still doing their reveal in February right? We'll see. And we still have get them on campus and on the field for practice. Very soon we will either be singing Coach Dimel's praises, or cussing his ancestors for how this turns out. But still, Go Miners.

I agree with pay4dirt 247 sports only lists about 8 commits when in reality we have about 12-13 so in February we will all see whether we will all hail Coach Dimel or like pay4dirt says cussing his ancestors for how this turns out

My guess is we will have around 20 commits and that half will be JC kids. There are already guys enrolled and attending classes that haven't been announced and coaches are all over the California Juco circuit right now. Also getting some guys as Preferred Walk ons is an indicator that things are going well.

The 247 rankings have as much to do about quantity as they do quality. If you want to judge the quality that 247 sees in a class, look at the avg per player rating. Right now they give UTEP a class avg of 80 plus. Last year it was 77 plus. All of Kugler's classes were from 75 plus to 77 plus. UTEP ranks higher than a couple of C-USA teams, right there with a few more and higher than several in the MWC. Quality is pretty good so far this year.

I agree that when you see UTEP ranked 134th the optics are terrible but it doesn't tell the whole story.

Here is the Rivals list (just a click away btw). Lots of defensive JC help listed.

Ty'Reke James

DB

San Pablo, CA

5'11"

1/15/19
SIGNED

Justin Mayers

DT

Frisco, TX

6'4"

12/19/18
SIGNED

Miles Banks

DB

Brenham, TX

6'1"

12/19/18
SIGNED

Joe Jay Smith

LB

Garden City, KS

6'3"

12/11/18
SIGNED

TJ Goodwin

QB

Houston, TX

6'5"

8/2/18
SIGNED

Jalen Joseph

RB

El Paso, TX

5'10"

1/19/19
VERBAL

Luke Laufenberg

TE

Dallas, TX

6'4"

12/20/18
VERBAL

Robert Corner

DB

Norwalk, CA

6'0"

12/20/18
VERBAL

Duron Lowe

DB

El Dorado, KS

6'0"

12/19/18
VERBAL

Adam Cousins

DB

Pflugerville, TX

6'0"

12/17/18
VERBAL

Deion Hankins

RB

El Paso, TX

5'11"

7/31/18
VERBAL

Quintavius Workman

WR

El Paso, TX

6'5"

7/29/18
VERBAL

Juice Tupua

DT

Harbor City, CA

6'1"

7/19/18
VERBAL

2018 - 2019
Schedule & Results
FootballBasketball
Next Game
Thu, Jan 24, 7:00 PM MST
oah.gif

Old Dominion15-5
Monarchs
ttl.gif

UTEP6-11
Miners
Last Game
Final
ttl.gif

UTEP72
Miners
$ctrl.previousGame.awayScore" style="box-sizing: border-box; position: absolute; top: 5px; left: -25px; width: 0px; height: 0px; border-top: 10px solid transparent; border-bottom: 10px solid transparent; border-left: 10px solid rgb(246, 166, 35);">
mmm.gif

@ Middle Tennessee75
Blue Raiders
Results
6-11
Overall

1-5
Conference
Full Schedule

I will say I like the size that we are recruiting. 6'3 6'4 athletes that we can then put size on and grow some is what to me has been the difference between the last coaching staffs. At the athlete position you need size. I love the sound of a 6'4 tight end.

Back when we were going to bowl games, remember the size we put on the field. At WR, TE, LB, and even QB. Mix that in with just a little bit of speed and we can be more competitive.

We just cannot settle for the undersized player that may or may not grow into full potential and continue to get blown off the ball year after year. At least field a team that looks scary while taking the field. Haha

Reactions: UTEPfan1966
It's a step in the right direction. Better than Kugler and jumped 20 spots from last year. Jump another 20 next year and we are in top 95, which is actually decent for Utep Football

It's a step in the right direction. Better than Kugler and jumped 20 spots from last year. Jump another 20 next year and we are in top 95, which is actually decent for Utep Football
A good season in the field should gey utep into the top 100. I mean utsa got their all time best recruit this year and a top 90 class with a 3-9 season and a 4 star commit for 2020. Guessing recruits like san antonio. If utep has a decent record theres no reason why they should be top 100 in 2020

UTSA has been raking in 3-stars for the past few years, but it hasn't paid dividends yet. We need to catch up before they blow past us.

We did get as many 3-stars as Ohio State;)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT