ADVERTISEMENT

Most recent mea culpas--Goodell and Gundy.

Yeah a t-shirt of OAN, come on now. I agree that he and heck all coaches could use education about issues of today: discrimination, cultural issues, etc. But to say he needs a second chance for wearing a t-shirt? That seems a bit of a reach.

Will I be shocked if he's fired: shockingly no.

What if he wore a Maga hat? I guess supporting the President is bad too?

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
What if he wore a Maga hat? I guess supporting the President is bad too?

He could wear a hat that says "I'm Eggscelent" on it. I know some people equate a MAGA hat to other symbols. Gundy has helped so many players be successful on and off the field as has helped many find a route out of a poverty situation.

I don't care who anyone (celebs, coaches, players, etc.) support. I get annoyed that all news outlets and people play out who X likes and how the world reacts.

Interesting question. I would take literally almost anyone over Dimel. As it pertains to Gundy. I believe in second chances. My concerns would be is apology sincere? Is he going to use this moment to educate himself about social issues so he can better understand his players? What is the lasting damage on the recruiting. If I'm looking to hire him I'm going to reach out to high school football coaches and ask them if they would be comfortable having their player play for Mike Gundy. I'd also call the local chapters of the NAACP in OKC, Tulsa, Dallas, Houston and Austin and floats the idea by them. If these two groups didn't have any issues I would hire him. UTEP is already tough enough to recruit to. If Gundy has lasting damage done to him by this it would be a disaster to hire him here.

I think OSU will fire him. This will certainly damage the program in the short term. Certainly not help them close the gap with the Sooners. It looks terrible comparing it against how conference foe Tom Herman has handled this time at Texas. Hes handled this better than anyone except maybe Geoff Collins at Georgia Tech. The goal at OSU is to win the big 12 championship every year. Today they are much further away from that goal than they have been in recent memory.

Are you African American?

OK, I just don’t get the outrage over Gundy.

He said he wasn’t fully aware of the agenda of the news outlet whose t-shirt he wore and has apologized for that.

Here’s what I don’t get. You mean to tell me that NONE of the players have ever had a conversation with him about Trump over the last 4 years? The parents as well? Now all of a sudden some are upset about some shirt he wore. I had never even heard of OAN until this.

The best policy when it comes to politics now a days is to say you don’t discuss it. You can speak about certain events, but the world doesn’t need to know if you’re blue or red.

Reactions: Dmanminer
He could wear a hat that says "I'm Eggscelent" on it. I know some people equate a MAGA hat to other symbols. Gundy has helped so many players be successful on and off the field as has helped many find a route out of a poverty situation.

I don't care who anyone (celebs, coaches, players, etc.) support. I get annoyed that all news outlets and people play out who X likes and how the world reacts.
What if he wore a tan suit to a presser? It made national headlines.

Coaches at this level help many men of all stripes. David Lee stunk up the field but his players really liked him.

Here ya'll go. This suit almost started impeachment hearings.....

obama4.jpg

Nowadays is there any incentive to having social media or giving any sort of political or social statement if you are a public figure?

It's only good for liberals. If you are against Trump there is no problem, but if you support the President there is a problem.

Reactions: Rocketsr
"Yes, if you are a good, decent, honest person."

Meaning anybody that isn't a Trump supporter.

Look at this guy. He went back 8 years to find out Domino’s Pizza tweeted Trump’s former Press Secretary and he wants people to be mad. I want to say that’s obsessive or psychopathic behavior, but I don’t know if that’s even the correct term.

I dont give a shit who Mike Gundy supports politically, but I do think it's nieve to believe he didn't know anything about the network. And it was tone deaf of him to wear the shirt.

That being said, talk of him being fired is ridiculous.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Opinion: Could Mike Gundy and Oklahoma State learn from Mike Leach and Texas Tech?
tramel001.jpg

by BERRY TRAMEL
Published: Tue, June 30, 2020 5:45 PM Updated: Wed, July 1, 2020 1:20 AM
large960_blur-8f0daf05732614647ca3ca5723f341df.jpg

Mike Leach, left, and Mike Gundy shake hands after the 2008 OSU-Texas Tech game in Lubbock. [CHRIS LANDSBERGER/The Oklahoman]

Maverick Mike. Eccentric. Nationally known for his unconventional style. Didn’t get along with his athletic director. Constant dalliances with other jobs to increase his contract leverage. Got crossways with the university’s big boosters. Eventually didn’t even have the support of his players.

But Maverick Mike’s teams won big. They played cutting-edge offense and built up the fan base and helped ignite glittering facilities that were once unimaginable on the Plains. Maverick Mike was the leader of a golden age at the Big 12 school, and no other period in program history was even close.

And then Maverick Mike was fired.

What? You thought I was talking about Mike Gundy? Nope. Not yet. This was the Mike Leach story at Texas Tech. And it’s an instructive tale for both Gundy and OSU.

The major differences between Leach and Gundy is that Leach didn’t have a huge buyout in his contract (Gundy does) and that Leach is known for his bizarre soliloquies and Gundy is known for his mullet. Otherwise, their stories are strikingly similar. The lessons are, too.

No matter your success rate, the decision-makers on a college campus can get weary of the constant turbulence.

But be careful; maintaining high levels of gridiron success isn’t automatic at a place that’s historically something less than a big winner.

Gundy has reached the same crossroads at OSU that Leach reached in Lubbock a decade ago. Both iconic coaches, mostly popular with the mainstream fan base, but in constant turmoil with the administration and big-money boosters, and then player discontent surfaced.

Tech fired Leach two days before the 2009 Alamo Bowl, after “other things” were discovered by the board of regents during an investigation of Leach’s treatment of injured receiver Adam James. All in the wake of the famous shed story, where Leach reportedly banished James during practice while recovering from a concussion. Most Tech players seemed to support James, though many former Tech players supported Leach.

That was Tech’s opening to fire Leach with cause, citing insubordination, and not pay off his contract. Leach sued Tech, but the university claimed sovereign immunity through Texas shield laws, and Leach never got his day in court. As recently as 2018, Leach still was filing suit against Tech, seeking bonuses and salary he says went unpaid.

The Leach/Tech flap started soon after his 2000 arrival; before the end, Tech wasn’t even trying to entice him to stay. The buyout on Leach’s contract in 2009 was only $2 million.

But Leach has had the last laugh in other ways.

Texas Tech football has been a solid football program going back to its days in the Border Conference in the 1950s and earlier. But Tech never won like it won with Leach. And it’s rarely lost like it’s lost without Leach.

In 10 seasons, Leach’s teams went 84-43, a .661 winning percentage that is by far the best in school history.

In the 10 seasons since Leach’s departure, Tech is 59-65, its worst 10-year stretch since 1956-65. Leach’s teams were 47-33 in the Big 12. Tech since is 30-59 in the Big 12.

The Red Raiders didn’t have dolts coaching. Tommy Tuberville was a proven winner in the SEC who now has a chance at the U.S. Senate. Kliff Kingsbury had a promising maiden season coaching the NFL Cardinals. We’ll see how Oklahoman Matt Wells, the current coach, fares long-term.

But Tech is not an automatic-win place. It’s a tough job. And Leach was a consistent winner.

The same holds true in Stillwater. OSU is not an automatic-win place. It’s a tough job. And Gundy has been a consistent winner.

Gundy’s 15-year record is 129-64. Pat Jones and Jim Lookabaugh rank right behind Gundy on the all-time Cowboy victory list. They won 120 games — combined.

Gundy’s Big 12 record is 77-52; in the Big 12 pecking order, the Cowboys have jumped all but OU, including Texas, Kansas State and TCU. In a combined 26 seasons, OSU coaches Jim Stanley, Jimmy Johnson, Jones and Les Miles — four pretty fair country football coaches — totaled 82 conference wins. Gundy has 77 himself.

That’s one of the risks of replacing Gundy, as OSU’s administration ponders his job status. These have been great times for Cowboy football.

The same headaches Tech endured with Leach — not getting along with the administrators, alienating high-dollar boosters — are the headaches OSU has been dealing with for almost a decade. In April, when Gundy used his only pandemic press conference to call for the quick reopening of athletic facilities and get the economic engine rolling again, countering everything OSU, the Big 12 and the NCAA were trying to promote, Gundy angered administrators perhaps more than ever before.

And now OSU has the player component, too, with Chuba Hubbard’s tweet a couple of weeks ago leading to findings that Gundy has a major disconnect with his players.

Gundy’s contract calls for a $17 million buyout unless he’s fired with cause. Ten years ago, Texas Tech found cause. It also found itself, soon enough, wallowing in mediocre football.

I’m told Tech officials had confidence in their program to believe, a decade ago, that the Red Raiders could continue to prosper without Leach. I know OSU officials believe they can thrive without Gundy.

But you never know. The Mike Leach story in Lubbock tells us that.

Reactions: Rocketsr
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT