ADVERTISEMENT

MTSU #12 and Wichita State #10?

utep2step

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 10, 2001
Wow! Obviously alot of shade to CUSA by the selection committee and rightfully so but the NCAA mostly took the top half of power conferences.

A 19-15 Vanderbilt team that lost by 23 to MTSU is seeded at #9.

:eek: Actually, I think somebody here called it here earlier this week. Criminal.
Yes, I did. I knew Vandy would be higher, while beating no one out of conference. It won't make a bit of difference because Vandy will be out in their first game and MTSU is set up for a sweet sixteen trip.

Reactions: allminer
Only teams getting truly hosed are the ones that have to play MTSU and Wichita St. Too bad for Kentucky and Butler.

Wichita St avoids the 1 seed in this case though, would have felt worse for them if they were 8-9 and with a Kansas or UNC waiting in the 2nd round.

This should put to bed once and for all that cusa could be a multibid league. MTSU should have been a lock but if they would have slipped up yesterday they wouldnt have gotten in. The crazy thing is that the gap between major and mid/low majors in basketball is now wider than the gap between p5 and g5 in football.

This should put to bed once and for all that cusa could be a multibid league. MTSU should have been a lock but if they would have slipped up yesterday they wouldnt have gotten in. The crazy thing is that the gap between major and mid/low majors in basketball is now wider than the gap between p5 and g5 in football.

It was stated by the experts that MTSU would have been in either way.

I really don't think the gap is wider because any basketball team can realistically win it all. Much much harder to do in football, unless you are a team like Boise State who had a realistic shot for awhile.

Last edited:
You are so correct and it is a travesty!

No way NMSU beats Baylor -- one and done are aggy.

Why not? It's amazing that NMSU keeps going to the Big Dance year after year. It's even more amazing doing it after their start player declared early for the NBA draft last year with a coach in his first season. Why can't this be accomplished at UTEP? It just doesn't make any sense.

If I am looking at the post season tournament brackets correctly, only two CUSA teams will be playing in the post season. Middle Tennessee of course in the NCAA tournament and Rice in the CBI tournament. I did not see any others in the NIT, CBI, or CIT.

Why not? It's amazing that NMSU keeps going to the Big Dance year after year. It's even more amazing doing it after their start player declared early for the NBA draft last year with a coach in his first season. Why can't this be accomplished at UTEP? It just doesn't make any sense.

Because they're big fish in a small pond.

Good thing the WAC is a dying conference so soon enough the Aggies will have to play against tougher opponents instead of cupcakes all year long that pad their record.

Good thing the WAC is a dying conference so soon enough the Aggies will have to play against tougher opponents instead of cupcakes all year long that pad their record.

You must not follow college basketball. Grand Canyon is a very good team who have only been a D-1 team for 4 years who beat SDSU at home this year and almost beat Louisville and they have an amazing student section. Even Rick Pitino said their student section is one of the best he has seen. Cal State Bakersfield is another great team who is going to be a great team for years to come. Add in NMSU who is consistently good and this is going to be a good league since Grand Canyon will be eligible for the conference tournament next year. Also, the WAC has more teams playing in the postseason than CUSA so they are far from a dying conference.

A thread that was supposed to be about 2 team's seeding turns totally senseless and hijacked by you know. Ahh rigo, that nose must feel so good.

It was stated by the experts that MTSU would have been in either way.

I really don't think the gap is wider because any basketball team can realistically win it all. Much much harder to do in football, unless you are a team like Boise State who had a realistic shot for awhile.

I think MTSU would have missed out just like Illinois State. Similar resumes.

Yeah go ahead and blame me since I wasn't the first person who brought up NMSU.
And the persons who brought up enemas u only did so in relation to the game with Baylor. You of course have to hijack it into a different subject and the thread goes array. As usual.

And the persons who brought up enemas u only did so in relation to the game with Baylor. You of course have to hijack it into a different subject and the thread goes array. As usual.

Whatever you want to believe. Your MO is saying every thread where I post is "hijacked". It's getting really old.

I have finally learned that it's best just not to respond to you because you say the exact same things over and over and never have anything important to say and threads actually get hijacked with your repetitive comments. I was hoping you would grow up, but you clearly haven't.

Reactions: alvinosports
Yeah, those tough teams they played: SELA, NWST, NAU, UMES, UCI and lost to all of them. Oh sorry, that was us.
WAC has more teams playing in post season and there are only 8 participants. What does that say about CUSA?

Nice thread while it lasted. Too bad the twins had to get involved. Way to go, rigo!

Yeah, those tough teams they played: SELA, NWST, NAU, UMES, UCI and lost to all of them. Oh sorry, that was us.
WAC has more teams playing in post season and there are only 8 participants. What does that say about CUSA?

Pretty impressive when 4/8 teams get into postseason tournaments.

I really don't think so. MTSU was 30-4 and has good OOC wins and Illinois State was 27-6 who really didn't play anybody OOC.

Illinois State rated just above MTSU in RPI. Similar resumes, don't think MTSU was the lock you think they were Mr. Lunardi.

As for this year, I'm not buying ISU head coach argument (We tried scheduling bigger schools! No one wants to plays us). CUSA teams are getting games against big schools knowing the risk that CUSA will more than likely pull down their RPI and mess up head-to-head matchups come March the selection committee put so much stock in (as the selection committee president emphasized greatly on CBS yesterday afternoon). The OOC scheduling is done two to three years in advance with a date here and there to fill in as the year draws closer, especially the "cultural enhancement" tournaments. The big schools have schedules to fill in to and totally front loading it with Oklahoma City Inter faith Eschatology College year after year is not the best of moves for building towards a NCAA team (even though some do and get away with it, but mid major don't have that luxury for OOC play in late November, and early December). They to need to fill in with mid majors.

It was a pretty good year for the top half schools in the power conferences this year. The competition was much better as compared to years past and most avoided those mid major upsets and went on to finish February and March on a strong note (they're those darned head-to-head matchups again!).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT