ADVERTISEMENT

MTSU game special

That dropped touchdown changed the way the game went. This loss hurts. Last year we beat teams that we should beat. This year we are not doing that. I'm starting to think last year was a fluke, unfortunately. I still have a small amount of hope for a bowl but I know it's not likely at this point.

How do we go two weeks in a row with bad officiating? I'm not blaming the refs for the loss but these past two weeks have been rough in that department.

Side note:
On the post game show with Teacher, Dimel said, " this was a fun game to watch." Who was it fun for? It certainly wasn't me. It was frustrating and made me angry more than anything. It's almost as if he's ok with this result.

Two straight weeks where CUSA refs made wrong calls during crucial moments. While I’m not entirely blaming the refs on the loss, that terrible offensive pass interference call killed our drive. We all know football is a sport where momentum plays a big role and this bad call took the air out of the Miners. MTSU coaches recognized we were deflated by the call and smartly called for a long pass, which led to a MTSU TD. This was a 14 point swing in an otherwise close game. The dropped pass by Thompson was also a big missed opportunity to score a TD. We failed to score on that drive. I was reading comments on MTSU’s forum and one of their fans also mentioned the refs got it wrong and MTSU got a huge break. This loss makes it harder to get those two wins we need to become bowl eligible. This was a winnable game that got away from us. At times the Miners have shown flashes of being a good football team, but too many mistakes, bad play calling and lack of execution have resulted in losses. I think the Miners have played similar to last year’s team, however, the biggest difference is we didn’t play two low tier FCS teams this year.

It’s unfortunate the Miners didn’t get the win last night. This offense has 0 room for error since they’re not going to put up 30+ a game and so the pick and dropped TD pass were the difference before the blown PI ever was.

But with that being said it’s a shame that these stupid C-USA refs f*cked us over with bad calls in consecutive weeks. That pisses me off more than the errors.

Bad call? Sure. Miners didn’t take care of business the other 59 minutes of the game. At best Miners tie it up and probably still lose. Doesn’t matter, as a 6-6 Miners vs a 7-5 Miners will end up in the same crappy bowls.

Miners need to take care of business versus Rice and FIU and they’re 6-6, headed to a bowl. Still a good season by UTEP standards. At the beginning of the season, most of us would have predicted wins over Rice and FIU. They’re not good football teams. Lose to one of them, and it’s confirmed that this team and coach suck.

Bad call? Sure. Miners didn’t take care of business the other 59 minutes of the game. At best Miners tie it up and probably still lose. Doesn’t matter, as a 6-6 Miners vs a 7-5 Miners will end up in the same crappy bowls.

Miners need to take care of business versus Rice and FIU and they’re 6-6, headed to a bowl. Still a good season by UTEP standards. At the beginning of the season, most of us would have predicted wins over Rice and FIU. They’re not good football teams. Lose to one of them, and it’s confirmed that this team and coach suck.

ohwell-heat.gif

• Haha
Reactions: FarWestTexas

Agree with most of what you said. Defense played well most of the game, aside from some poor tackling, and getting burned on a couple deep routes.

Offense had a couple drives where urgency and quick developing plays seemed to make a difference, however after these drives we’d go right back to basic Dimel ball. I’ve given up trying to make any sense of it.

All in all, I’d say we put about half a game together, which isn’t gonna cut it most of the time, as we’ve seen several times this year.

Even the casual observer knows that if we throw the ball, we lose. We threw the ball 40 times in a game that really didn't call for it. Case in point, the start of the second half. We have a chance to do the score at the end of the first half, score to start the second and take control of the game. How do we start the second half? 1 run, 6 passes, 1-6, 1 yard, 1 INT. Just boggles the mind.

I think it’s pretty clear that El Paso has given up on UTEP football. Third straight home game with 12,000 or less. We have lost half of the 20,000 win or lose die hards. Just pathetic And frustrating. Also seems like UTEP has cut back budget wise with the lack of fireworks and canon all season. Senter & co. A good bet they they have already spent the money from the OU game. Back to being broke once again!

I think it’s pretty clear that El Paso has given up on UTEP football. Third straight home game with 12,000 or less. We have lost half of the 20,000 win or lose die hards. Just pathetic And frustrating. Also seems like UTEP has cut back budget wise with the lack of fireworks and canon all season. Senter & co. A good bet they they have already spent the money from the OU game. Back to being broke once again!
Nope. UTEP has given the middle finger to El Paso for 30 years. Dimel isn’t liked and runs a boring offense, that isn’t that successful. They have been passed by countless “peer institutions” and their conference mates have gotten progressively worse.

UTEP wanted a sellout for UNT and El Paso gave them that. What did UTEP give the fans? An 18 point loss. Fans can only take so much.

I guess it’s their our fault though. UTEP would have won if 10,000 more people were there!

MTSU wanted it more, period. That Blue Raider D came in with attitude, they were jawing big time all night and that’s including their kicker! Who witnesses the kicker smack talking? The Miners did respond but the offense is inefficient. But, Dimel has every right to submit to the committee to set the record straight like he did last week.

However, CUSA refs had nothing to do with drop in the bread basket catches, blown coverages or if a team can show up to play a complete game.

Last edited:
MTSU wanted it more, period. That Blue Raider D came in with attitude, they were jawing big time all night and that’s included their kicker! Who witnesses the kicker smack talking? The Miners did respond but the offense is inefficient. But, Dimel has every right to submit to the committee to set the record straight like he did last week.

However, CUSA refs had nothing to do with drop in the bread basket catches, blown coverages or if a team can show up to play a complete game.
UTEP battled back to tie the game at the half, and they battled back again to throw what should have been another game-tying touchdown (this after being deflated from the earlier dropped touchdown pass to start the half).

The games don't always go the way you want, but the Miners DID show resilience. They did make adjustments and were much better after the 1st quarter. But it's a lot to ask to overcome BS calls from the refs during an already difficult game. It was a criminal call at that point of the game and it definitely changed the remainder of the game.

Reactions: UTEPMiners8106
Nope. UTEP has given the middle finger to El Paso for 30 years. Dimel isn’t liked and runs a boring offense, that isn’t that successful. They have been passed by countless “peer institutions” and their conference mates have gotten progressively worse.

UTEP wanted a sellout for UNT and El Paso gave them that. What did UTEP give the fans? An 18 point loss. Fans can only take so much.

I guess it’s their our fault though. UTEP would have won if 10,000 more people were there!
El pasoans are also smart enough to know that last season was a fluke. Dimel isn't all that great and really only gets wins over bad football teams.

They also need to lower ticket prices. I bought $15 tickets and then moved to one of the more expensive areas as it was dead empty.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT