ADVERTISEMENT

MTSU game special

The games don't always go the way you want, but the Miners DID show resilience. They did make adjustments and were much better after the 1st quarter.
As they say in El Paso, "poco a poco". The O line did make adjustments that gave Hardison way more time. Dimel stated on the post game they tweeked the O line assignments and it worked and from what I witnessed, it did.

But the 1st quarter is a bugaboo that Dimel has to fix if they want to win the next two.

Two straight weeks where CUSA refs made wrong calls during crucial moments. While I’m not entirely blaming the refs on the loss, that terrible offensive pass interference call killed our drive. We all know football is a sport where momentum plays a big role and this bad call took the air out of the Miners. MTSU coaches recognized we were deflated by the call and smartly called for a long pass, which led to a MTSU TD. This was a 14 point swing in an otherwise close game. The dropped pass by Thompson was also a big missed opportunity to score a TD. We failed to score on that drive. I was reading comments on MTSU’s forum and one of their fans also mentioned the refs got it wrong and MTSU got a huge break. This loss makes it harder to get those two wins we need to become bowl eligible. This was a winnable game that got away from us. At times the Miners have shown flashes of being a good football team, but too many mistakes, bad play calling and lack of execution have resulted in losses. I think the Miners have played similar to last year’s team, however, the biggest difference is we didn’t play two low tier FCS teams this year.
Which makes it entirely more, "moronic" for Senter to give him an extension... He didn't really beat anyone, and fizzled bad to end the season. Dimel's after game comments, are way too "relaxed" ZERO pressure to win.

Reactions: denverutep
Dimel brought us back to the last six years of the Price era. Teams that would battle for a .500 record but most of the time come up short. It's better than bottom dwellers but not where we want to be at. Let's hope that for whatever time Dimel has left he keeps us there. The next coach, if the correct hire is made, should be able to take us over the mediocrity hump.

Dimel brought us back to the last six years of the Price era. Teams that would battle for a .500 record but most of the time come up short. It's better than bottom dwellers but not where we want to be at. Let's hope that for whatever time Dimel has left he keeps us there. The next coach, if the correct hire is made, should be able to take us over the mediocrity hump.
Problem is that we always regress when someone new is given the reigns. Next season UTEP opens up vs FCS IW. A loss to IW would send this program back years. All progress made under Dismel would be lost. It would be similar to the Cal Poly debacle.

I’m all for change but next seasons schedule is very favorable. Not saying Dismel will do any better than 6-6 but it would be detrimental to the program to lose to an FCS school. I say we have to suck it up 1 more season then hire someone new.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Problem is that we always regress when someone new is given the reigns. Next season UTEP opens up vs FCS IW. A loss to IW would send this program back years. All progress made under Dismel would be lost. It would be similar to the Cal Poly debacle.

I’m all for change but next seasons schedule is very favorable. Not saying Dismel will do any better than 6-6 but it would be detrimental to the program to lose to an FCS school. I say we have to suck it up 1 more season then hire someone new.
I'm fully prepared to hang around 4-6 wins until Dimel's contract expires. Hopefully he keeps us there and not fall back to under 3 wins.

El pasoans are also smart enough to know that last season was a fluke. Dimel isn't all that great and really only gets wins over bad football teams.

They also need to lower ticket prices. I bought $15 tickets and then moved to one of the more expensive areas as it was dead empty.

last season wasn’t a fluke, they were a mediocre team with an easy schedule. This year they are a mediocre team with a slightly harder schedule. A lot of people have said this is their ceiling.

UTEP battled back to tie the game at the half, and they battled back again to throw what should have been another game-tying touchdown (this after being deflated from the earlier dropped touchdown pass to start the half).

The games don't always go the way you want, but the Miners DID show resilience. They did make adjustments and were much better after the 1st quarter. But it's a lot to ask to overcome BS calls from the refs during an already difficult game. It was a criminal call at that point of the game and it definitely changed the remainder of the game.
I’m not a fire Dimel guy or a keep Dimel guy. I’m very much on the fence. On one hand the offense is bad, and the game management has not been very good.
But in his defense he has turned things around. He’s gone from 2-22 his first two years to 11-11 in his last two. Is it a complete 180? Absolutely not. Is there a ton to improve upon? Absolutely. But he’s got a program that has a legit defense and these players haven’t given up on him. Those two things are virtually unheard of at UTEP. Kugler went 4-20 his last two years. Yes I’m counting that full season even though he jumped ship. Price was 9-15 in years 4 and 5 and he followed that up by winning 4, 6, 5 and then 3 games and honestly by this time in his tenure the teams were getting cooked late in the season. And we all know that the clock struck Midnight in 2007 when UTEP blew the game vs ECU.

I was in town and could not convince myself to go to UTEP, deal with parking and traffic, and pay for tickets and bad overpriced snacks. Opted to stay home and watch the game.

I am part of the problem, but I have zero interest to deal with all that I mentioned to watch my team loose against a winless (in the conference) directional state school.

I was in town and could not convince myself to go to UTEP, deal with parking and traffic, and pay for tickets and bad overpriced snacks. Opted to stay home and watch the game.

I am part of the problem, but I have zero interest to deal with all that I mentioned to watch my team loose against a winless (in the conference) directional state school.
That is not your problem. That is UTEP’s. It’s their job to get you to the game. If they aren’t offering you enough to go, that is on them.

Are you willing to pay more if @UTEPAthletics were more like the Chihuahuas/ Locomotive?
-Better lighting
-Better amenities

Are you willing to pay more if @UTEPAthletics were more like the Chihuahuas/ Locomotive?
-Better lighting
-Better amenities

I wasn't willing to waste my time.
The opponent had influence on my decision. A loss to MTSU is embarrassing and no one cares about it. Had I had the opportunity to go see UTEP vs UNM, Boise St., UNT, NMSU, (and I know they don't play them at the Sun Bowl this year) Rice, or UTSA I probably would have gone.

I wasn't willing to waste my time.
The opponent had influence on my decision. A loss to MTSU is embarrassing and no one cares about it. Had I had the opportunity to go see UTEP vs UNM, Boise St., UNT, NMSU, (and I know they don't play them at the Sun Bowl this year) Rice, or UTSA I probably would have gone.
A loss to MTSU isn’t embarrassing. They’ve been FBS for awhile now.

UTEP won’t reach a new low of embarrassment until they start losing to SHSU, Jacksonville St, and Kennesaw on a regular basis.

Deal with what parking and traffic? lol

• Haha
Reactions: Lil_Train
“Offense was doing what we needed to do to keep us competitive and keep us in the game”. - Dimel

Never mind that his quote referred to a time in the 3rd quarter, where we only had 10 points.

What about taking accountability for the offense not doing enough to give us a comfortable lead instead of squandering so many damn opportunities. Dimel either has his head buried in the sand, or thinks fans have their heads buried in the sand. Either way, **** man, this offense has a 3 year starter at QB, and is in year 5 of its existence.

“Offense was doing what we needed to do to keep us competitive and keep us in the game”. - Dimel

Never mind that his quote referred to a time in the 3rd quarter, where we only had 10 points.

What about taking accountability for the offense not doing enough to give us a comfortable lead instead of squandering so many damn opportunities. Dimel either has his head buried in the sand, or thinks fans have their heads buried in the sand. Either way, **** man, this offense has a 3 year starter at QB, and is in year 5 of its existence.
And in 5 yrs Dismel is still terrible!

I'll translate that quote from Dimel, " I have no confidence in my offense because the QB I chose is liable to turn the ball over every other possession if I try to let him play. So we have to be very conservative." at least that's what it means to me.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT