ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA B.O.G. approve players to benefit from name, image and likeness

I think this will help UTEP versus schools like NMSU and CUSA schools. I think many businessmen in El Paso will be happy to have UTEP athletes as spokesmen.

Obviously the big schools will pay their guys even more, but I think this tips the scales in our favor versus a school like UNT.

I think this will help UTEP versus schools like NMSU and CUSA schools. I think many businessmen in El Paso will be happy to have UTEP athletes as spokesmen.

Obviously the big schools will pay their guys even more, but I think this tips the scales in our favor versus a school like UNT.

Nah — this will only significantly benefit the biggest stars at the biggest schools.

Reactions: UTEPMiners8106
The guys with the green stuff will benefit know doubt.

Go Miners

Last edited:
The rich will get richer. I wonder if this will push the P5 schools to just form their own super league and G5 will become the new DII. Now there is absolutely no need for these schools to carry dead weight.

Now a student will definitely be more likely to sign with a bigger school for brand exposure and image licensing. This may be a sort of “Pandora’s Box” that is opened because what’s to stop big money donors from paying kids big money to come to a school with the promise of “endorsements”?

Reactions: kickballpro
The rich will get richer. I wonder if this will push the P5 schools to just form their own super league and G5 will become the new DII. Now there is absolutely no need for these schools to carry dead weight.

Now a student will definitely be more likely to sign with a bigger school for brand exposure and image licensing. This may be a sort of “Pandora’s Box” that is opened because what’s to stop big money donors from paying kids big money to come to a school with the promise of “endorsements”?

The big $ will be for Zion-type players that can sell shoes nationally/globally.

Can you imagine going to Alabama and making a mil at an autograph session?

Then coming to UTEP and sitting at a folding white table at the KROD Sports Expo selling Chits for $2.

It's going to be a bidding war. These schools spend hundreds of millions on facilities and now the big selling point will be endorsement connections. I can already see Deon Stroud singing 'Charlie Clark Nissan, Orale.

Can you imagine going to Alabama and making a mil at an autograph session?

Then coming to UTEP and sitting at a folding white table at the KROD Sports Expo selling Chits for $2.

It's going to be a bidding war. These schools spend hundreds of millions on facilities and now the big selling point will be endorsement connections. I can already see Deon Stroud singing 'Charlie Clark Nissan, Orale.
It already is a bidding war, it's just going to be out in the open now.

I think there is a lot of misunderstanding here and about the bill in general. The bill would allow athletes at schools to hire agents and be paid for the use of their name, image or likeness. There is no legal financial affiliation with the schools and the athletes/agents ability to make money. There will also be a limited number of athletes that will benefit. Those athletes are generally going to big name schools anyway.

I think there is a lot of misunderstanding here and about the bill in general. The bill would allow athletes at schools to hire agents and be paid for the use of their name, image or likeness. There is no legal financial affiliation with the schools and the athletes/agents ability to make money. There will also be a limited number of athletes that will benefit. Those athletes are generally going to big name schools anyway.
I get it. But what's to stop a booster that owns a car dealership or two to overpay a player for a local TV commercial. Then promise prized recruits the same treatment?

I get it. But what's to stop a booster that owns a car dealership or two to overpay a player for a local TV commercial. Then promise prized recruits the same treatment?

The NCAA will have to clearly define what an athlete can/can not be compensated for.

The player would become ineligible. The ability for the player to make money can have no affiliation with the school. Therefore a school booster can not legally pay a player.

Here is a Washington Post article headline from today.
Don’t be fooled by the NCAA’s ‘concession’ on athletes and pay
The organization's supposed grand change contains zero specifics and an almost infinite number of potential restrictions — and doesn’t actually say anything about money.

It's fun to speculate but we don't actually have any details at the moment.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Basically any college athlete can make money from signing autographs, selling things that they bought or own or selling/advertising products that have no financial or established affiliation to their school.

Aaron Jones was not recruited to Alabama, but he could have made some money by selling autographs or advertising for community businesses while at UTEP.

The player would become ineligible. The ability for the player to make money can have no affiliation with the school. Therefore a school booster can not legally pay a player.
What if he isn't a booster? Just a businessman who likes the local college football team? The law passed in California is for athletes to make money from the likeness and image of them/what makes them marketable, i.e. being a good basketball player at UCLA.

Now the NCAA came out with this decision because this will be law in Cali in 2023. So they have to get ahead of it because 11 other states are in the process of passing the same laws. They don't want to lose out to California schools. So the NCAA has to make the "rules" similar to the California law, as the saying goes "adapt or die".

Now if all the states pass similar legislation then what exactly would we need the NCAA to govern for? So that's why the NCAA will go along with California passed and signed Fair to Pay to Play Act. Because if they don't they will be a feckless organization. Self-preservation.

What if he isn't a booster? Just a businessman who likes the local college football team? The law passed in California is for athletes to make money from the likeness and image of them/what makes them marketable, i.e. being a good basketball player at UCLA.

Now the NCAA came out with this decision because this will be law in Cali in 2023. So they have to get ahead of it because 11 other states are in the process of passing the same laws. They don't want to lose out to California schools. So the NCAA has to make the "rules" similar to the California law, as the saying goes "adapt or die".

Now if all the states pass similar legislation then what exactly would we need the NCAA to govern for? So that's why the NCAA will go along with California passed and signed Fair to Pay to Play Act. Because if they don't they will be a feckless organization. Self-preservation.
Obviously there will be ways to cheat the system, just like the system we have now. This will likely come down the player's agents and under the table payoffs. The money the athlete makes from an illegal transaction is irrelevant to the new law.

It would be illegal for a businessman to lure athletes with big paydays because he/she is a fan of the school. The business man would have to prove benefit to the business relative to the money the athlete earned and also prove disaffiliation to the school. If this could not be proved then the athlete is at risk for ineligibility and the agent is at risk for losing their license. There will be some fine lines when the NCAA comes up with the final guidelines, but in no way is this law intended to be 'pay for play'.

Obviously there will be ways to cheat the system, just like the system we have now. This will likely come down the player's agents and under the table payoffs. The money the athlete makes from an illegal transaction is irrelevant to the new law.

It would be illegal for a businessman to lure athletes with big paydays because he/she is a fan of the school. The business man would have to prove benefit to the business relative to the money the athlete earned and also prove disaffiliation to the school. If this could not be proved then the athlete is at risk for ineligibility and the agent is at risk for losing their license. There will be some fine lines when the NCAA comes up with the final guidelines, but in no way is this law intended to be 'pay for play'.

Let's be real here. The reason a businessperson would hire a university athlete *is precisely because* s/he is a known university athlete and they want that athlete's face promoting their product. Otherwise, they'd be hiring nobodies like me and that would get them exactly zero additional product sales.

The day of college athletes getting paid has arrived. All of this is now simply the negotiation phase of a collective bargaining agreement.

Reactions: develman
Let's be real here. The reason a businessperson would hire a university athlete *is precisely because* s/he is a known university athlete and they want that athlete's face promoting their product. Otherwise, they'd be hiring nobodies like me and that would get them exactly zero additional product sales.

The day of college athletes getting paid has arrived. All of this is now simply the negotiation phase of a collective bargaining agreement.
There will be a very few athletes that can sell their names and make money for businesses legally. Businesses however cannot bribe athletes to come to a certain school or pay them for playing at a school. If you think the day of college athletes getting paid is here then fine, but it has nothing to do with this law.

There will be a very few athletes that can sell their names and make money for businesses legally. Businesses however cannot bribe athletes to come to a certain school or pay them for playing at a school. If you think the day of college athletes getting paid is here then fine, but it has nothing to do with this law.

This is true and NCAA sanctions have eliminated majority of that behavior. But now the bribes will be in guise of endorsements.

Reactions: develman
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT