ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska announces starting QB

Game will be closer than the Corn-bros, had hoped for!
Walden definitely is a coach, that recognizes the BIG moments. He will put a scare in Nebraska. Will it be enough? Who knows...
I hope so. On a kind of related note, I found former UTEP coach, Keith Burns' twitter comments on Walden interesting/funny. No love loss there. 😀

• Haha
Reactions: shyminer81
Had a UTEP shirt while traveling back home yesterday. Nebraska fan wanted to talk football while waiting at the airport. Long story short, Nebraska fans think it should be an easy win, but would not be surprised if they laid an egg an loose.

Reactions: shyminer81
I hope so. On a kind of related note, I found former UTEP coach, Keith Burns' twitter comments on Walden interesting/funny. No love lost there. 😀
What’s the story behind that? It’s not like Walden fired Burns when he came aboard

He proceeded to delete his X account afterward lol. I heard he is sour, due to his son being "pushed" out from UTEP... Miner fans let him have it good though!

Yeah his son is Davis Burns who is a safety that played at Coronado. He didn’t see much time in the Practices I went to.

His dad coached DB’s here for a while and then took a smaller role with the program before ultimately coaching in Fort Worth.

Game will be closer than the Corn-bros, had hoped for!
Walden definitely is a coach, that recognizes the BIG moments. He will put a scare in Nebraska. Will it be enough? Who knows...
Huskers play Colorado the following week, so look for Huskers to come out swinging to make a statement. They have last year's #1 QB in the country. Their QB dilemma's never made them a legitimate Big 10 conference champ threat, but this year some prognosticators give them a shot. The Black Shirts are not quite there yet like 25-30 years ago, but that D line is darn good. Rhule is expected and paid to compete with Michigan and Ohio State and chase a playoff berth and has quietly put together a good team while conference realignment and Deion vs Rhule verbal wars took all the limelight.

However, while UTEP has Westmoreland who is on national watchlist's and draft radars and a legit NFL draft pick and I can see him getting a sack or two, UTEP has a solid good backfield and beefed up WR corp. The 3-3-5 is meant to create iso creations and according to an interview, CS is hoping Westmoreland has those chances because he will win that battle many times. But, Westmoreland is on Husker's radar, look for him to get doubled up. The good thing, as compared to Kug and Dimel's play-the-clock, hair pulling going bald offense fans despised (post AJ era), Scotty will for sure move the ball and his off season recruiting was UTEP best and not seen since Mike Price's inaugural season that had top notch former HC Gary Nord recruits and solid (then P5) transfers. He has weapons and I don't anticipate only 7-14 points when this game is done.

1st game gitters and slop is normal and that stadium is loud and intimidating and while Nebraskans are the kindest, warm hearted folks you will ever meet and not anything like OU, TAMU or Ohio State bat shit crazy fans, they will make game time feel "Gladiator" like.

Sorry UTEP fans, don't expect Scotty to pull a Coach Kill type upset, Nebraska is head and shoulders above Auburn who lost to NMSU.

UTEP 24
Nebraska 45

Last edited:
I agree with this perspective, not because I doubt Walden's potential, but simply because he hasn't had enough time to prove himself yet. Remember Mike Price's first game at UTEP? It was a disaster in Tempe, yet we went on to have one of the best seasons in our history. Let's take it one step at a time before claiming we can compete with the big dawgs.

I agree with this perspective, not because I doubt Walden's potential, but simply because he hasn't had enough time to prove himself yet. Remember Mike Price's first game at UTEP? It was a disaster in Tempe, yet we went on to have one of the best seasons in our history. Let's take it one step at a time before claiming we can compete with the big dawgs.
but, I still like our chances for an upset.
winners take chances, chances make winners ,,,
maybe, a Miner Miracle to win this game?

• Haha
Reactions: SantaBarbaraSker
I would be happy if UTEP doesn't get blown out @ Nebraska, but I hope they don't take Southern Utah lightly. They lost by 3 last year @ Arizona State.

Reactions: utep-piggy
That's brutal.

When UTEP played Kentucky some years back, I seem to remember that Kentucky had some huge seemingly 300-lb dude lined up as QB and he just ran over UTEP like a steam engine. Anybody else remember this?

Edit: Jared Lorenzen, and he was indeed listed at over 280 lbs, but I must have imagined him running over UTEP as he didn't have many rushing attempts. But Kentucky did put up 77 points on UTEP so there was some steamrolling going on.

Last edited:
That's brutal.

When UTEP played Kentucky some years back, I seem to remember that Kentucky had some huge seemingly 300-lb dude lined up as QB and he just ran over UTEP like a steam engine. Anybody else remember this?

Edit: Jared Lorenzen, and he was indeed listed at over 280 lbs, but I must have imagined him running over UTEP as he didn't have many rushing attempts. But Kentucky did put up 77 points on UTEP so there was some steamrolling going on.
His nickname was "The Round Mound of Touchdown." A prolific college passer. He did indeed kill us.

Reactions: Lil_Train
That's brutal.

Sad story. Lorenzen was over 500 pounds at one point after retiring. Died young from heart and kidney problems.

I remember when his Kentucky team lost to LSU after "the Music City Miracle" and Kentucky fans tore down the goalposts not realizing their team had lost

That's brutal.

I attended that game...making my way up there from Nashville. It was a brutal, awful, and typical, blowout. Of course, I was surrounded by Kentucky fans who wondered out loud whether UTEP was a DII school. It was a long drive home, to say the least.

GO MINERS!

Reactions: MinerManiac
I attended that game...making my way up there from Nashville. It was a brutal, awful, and typical, blowout. Of course, I was surrounded by Kentucky fans who wondered out loud whether UTEP was a DII school. It was a long drive home, to say the least.

GO MINERS!
Not much parody in college football.

There was a time in the 70's I heard that UTEP had few if any linemen that went over 250 lb. In that era BYU consistently put 50 plus points on the Miners. A regular theme in UTEPs dark days. UTEP wasn't D2 in those days but played like one on the field. Monday morning game film was played backwards so it ended with a 0 0 tie. We are trending upward from that somewhat, but I know fans would like to see a lot more upward than we've gotten. Let's hope Walden is the man to get us there. Go Miners.

Last edited:
Reactions: LTMiner61
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT