ADVERTISEMENT

Pac12 not dead?

I agree with everything you guys are saying. At this point we’re the fat kid hoping to get picked to play basketball…. It’s wishfully thinking at best. And I do agree that attendance has little to no bearing on conference affiliation. That only affects UTEP’s bottom line. The decades of perennially losing and a lack of forward thinking is what kills us year in and year out.

I'm afraid it is too late for UTEP Athletics to do anything. It is just in survival mode. They jumped the shark of relevance/existence when Stull left. The current administration doesn't seem to acknowledge or know how to revive any importance towards Athletics. Sad....

Even Texas State (not to mention UTSA) has a better Athletic program and they were Division 1-aa not too long ago.
Stull was on cruise control the last decade. Him and Nata are the ones responsible for us not being in the MWC to begin with.

UTEP had a shot at joining 2x and turned it down. I know for a fact that at least 1 of those cases is 100% factual.

Certainly? 😂🤡

No conference wants to be defunct. The Mountain West is going to lose more than these 4 teams.

I can see them going after maybe UTSA, but really, who is left?

UTEP will get asked because there’s no one else to ask. Unless some of the new AAC members leave again and go west.

Reactions: nattybry
No conference wants to be defunct. The Mountain West is going to lose more than these 4 teams.

UTEP will get asked because there’s no one else to ask. Unless some of the new AAC members leave again and go west.
Texas-San Antonio is going to the Pac8, not the MW.

The MWC cannot go defunct if they plan on collecting all the exit fees. So, they’re not going defunct.

Due to contracts it is unlikely that the PAC-whatever raids UNLV until next year. Expectations are for Tulane Memphis and UTSA to be targeted next.

I wouldn’t be surprised if UTEP and NMSU went to the MWC due to previous rivalries and shorter travel.
I would be shocked to see Tulane and Memphis join the Pac. UTSA is possible though.

I would be shocked to see Tulane and Memphis join the Pac. UTSA is possible though.
More TV markets. CSU was added for the Denver audience. Tulane and Memphis would create a wider market that would net a better TV deal along with getting better teams from the American.

More TV markets. CSU was added for the Denver audience. Tulane and Memphis would create a wider market that would net a better TV deal along with getting better teams from the American.
Yeah, but travel wise, not that great. Especially when you won’t be getting the big tv or CFP money like in the P4 conferences. Makes a big difference.

It’s hard to think any of the Texas schools in the American Athletic would want to jump to this new Pac 12. What would the upside be? The Pac 12 doesn’t even have a media rights deal in place.
It’s possible if they think it will provide them with better exposure. Would UTSA rather play Boise and Colorado St or keep playing Tulsa and FAU?

They don’t have a media rights deal, but that is beneficial to them. As they will still have suitors and are expected to get a better deal than the MWC or AAC currently has.

I'm afraid it is too late for UTEP Athletics to do anything. It is just in survival mode. They jumped the shark of relevance/existence when Stull left. The current administration doesn't seem to acknowledge or know how to revive any importance towards Athletics. Sad....

Even Texas State (not to mention UTSA) has a better Athletic program and they were Division 1-aa not too long ago.

Sadly, it's Bob Stull -- whom I actually like very much -- who jumped the shark by moving us into irrelevance AKA CUSA.

UTSA to the PAC12? That one really hurts. Just a few short years ago we didn’t even want them on our schedule. Then we didn't want them to join CUSA. Then - very quickly - they were quite blunt stating they wanted no part of a conference rivalry with us. They moved on to a better conference and are now in play again. Damn.

UTSA to the PAC12? That one really hurts. Just a few short years ago we didn’t even want them on our schedule. Then we didn't want them to join CUSA. Then - very quickly - they were quite blunt stating they wanted no part of a conference rivalry with us. They moved on to a better conference and are now in play again. Damn.
Absolutely. Really nobody I dislike more than Texas-San Antonio.

Yeah, but it’s not because of on-field/court results or attendance. They’re located in San Antonio and we’re located in El Paso. Everything else is pretty much irrelevant.

I'm afraid it is too late for UTEP Athletics to do anything. It is just in survival mode. They jumped the shark of relevance/existence well before Stull left. The current administration doesn't seem to acknowledge or know how to revive any importance towards Athletics. Sad....

I agreed with most of this statement, fixed the part that I didn't agree with.

UTEP and the MWC is never going to happen

Why not?

MWC only has 8 schools and any more losses will put them under the Mandatory number of 8. MWC either goes the FCS route by getting Sacramento State, UC Davis, Montana, etc.... or they pick up FBS schools.

The MWC doesn't have a lot of options right now, they are going to get raided again.

Why not?

MWC only has 8 schools and any more losses will put them under the Mandatory number of 8. MWC either goes the FCS route by getting Sacramento State, UC Davis, Montana, etc.... or they pick up FBS schools.

The MWC doesn't have a lot of options right now, they are going to get raided again.
And the shame is this: UTEP has had 20 years to put themselves in a position to take a spot in a bigger conference as they became available. But every freaking time we sh*t the bed with bad hires and we hung on to them way too long killing the fan base and diminishing what little chance we had to move on. Now our only hope to leave to the MWC is by banking not on the fact that we’re a good candidate, but that everyone else is worse.

Last edited:
Why not?

Technically they’re already under the 8 school minimum. Hawaii is a football only member and doesn’t count.

How can the Pac 12 still have any leverage?? Is WAZZU and Oregon state really that powerful? It's just another Mountain West.

I wonder if they bring Hawaii back as a full time member
Could be, I don’t know if Hawaii wants that though. They pay travel costs in the Big West, which is entirely to California schools. So the MWC would also probably have them pay travel costs, except they would be for trips to Wyoming, Albuquerque, and El Paso instead. Not really beneficial to Hawaii or the MWC.

I really do wonder who the 6 PAC will add. They need at least 2 more. I still wouldn't be surprised if the 6 PAC and MWC eventually decide to merge. What other schools would have interest in joining the new PAC that aren't in the MWC? Obviously UTEP and NMSU would have interest but they wouldn't take us. I'm surprised that Nevada, Utah St, UNM, or UNLV weren't included in that group. Maybe a combination of 2 out of those 4 are backup options to the teams that the 6 PAC are targeting.

It’s really a WGAF conference. But it would definitely be a step up for UTEP.

MWC will certainly ask UTEP join.
I also think Utep will get an invite, but after air force, Unlv and possibly Utah St and or Wyoming get poached. At that point how do we feel about what’s left? Are we good with San Jose, Hawaii, UNM, Nevada and Wyoming or Utah St? Then add us, NMSU,
UTEP and the MWC is never going to happen
Well don’t be so sure…. However it’d be a very watered down MWC and not necessarily better than CUSA by much. Expect at least UNLV and Air Force to leave. That leaves Wyoming, Utah St., Hawaii (Football Only), San Jose St. and UNM. So add Utep, NMSU and La Tech and possibly 2 Power FBS teams if NDSU or Montana St. wanna make the move up. There is about to be a lot of changes, so strap in and most likely Utep will be left out, but it’s not out of the realm of possibility with all the chips falling.

Last edited:
Reactions: FarWestTexas
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT