ADVERTISEMENT

New MWC Possibility:

Would this be better for UTEP?

• Yes

Votes: 28 90.3%
  • No

Votes: 3 9.7%

• Total voters
don't discount CUSA has being a "lesser" conference than the new MW minus the 4 teams. Think "BIG" we need the PAC12 ,
Senter make it happen...

Yeah I think Senter should aim for the PAC12 as well but that scenario only plays out if the PAC12 doesn’t land the teams they want from the AAC, some MW teams such as Air Force and UNLV defect to the AAC, and then the PAC12 has to kill the MW to survive.

This is what I thought was as plausible but Kanefan has changed my thinking on this.

I think PAC12 gets their targets and UTEP is invited to the MWC.

Yeah I think Senter should aim for the PAC12 as well but that scenario only plays out if the PAC12 doesn’t land the teams they want from the AAC, some MW teams such as Air Force and UNLV defect to the AAC, and then the PAC12 has to kill the MW to survive.

This is what I thought was as plausible but Kanefan has changed my thinking on this.

I think PAC12 gets their targets and UTEP is invited to the MWC.
Idk if UNLV goes AAC or Pac12, but I know they want out after the 4 teams defected. UTEP will probably get invited to MWC, but the remaining teams will be UNM, Wyoming, San Jose St., Utah St, Nevada and Hawaii (Football only or all sports still up in the air) I personally would prefer that especially if the remaining MWC could convince La Tech, Texas St which would get a larger TV Deal in this case than the Sun Belt and SHST to come along. That would be the absolute best case scenario for UTEP with Cali, Rocky Mountain and Texas teams in the conference. besides. The PAC 12 which ain’t happening at least anytime soon!

Idk if UNLV goes AAC or Pac12, but I know they want out after the 4 teams defected. UTEP will probably get invited to MWC, but the remaining teams will be UNM, Wyoming, San Jose St., Utah St, Nevada and Hawaii (Football only or all sports still up in the air) I personally would prefer that especially if the remaining MWC could convince La Tech, Texas St which would get a larger TV Deal in this case than the Sun Belt and SHST to come along. That would be the absolute best case scenario for UTEP with Cali, Rocky Mountain and Texas teams in the conference. besides. The PAC 12 which ain’t happening at least anytime soon!

A couple of you guys have an obsession with La. Tech. Please explain.

A couple of you guys have an obsession with La. Tech. Please explain.
Me personally… I feel like we’ve been with La Tech long enough to consider them a rival in both sports. I like having a team like them still in the same conference. La Tech has been an a decent FBS and D1 team for years and is established more than those other new FCS teams.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Me personally… I feel like we’ve been with La Tech long enough to consider them a rival in both sports. I like having a team like them still in the same conference. La Tech has been an a decent FBS and D1 team for years and is established more than those other new FCS teams.
I wouldn’t mind if LaTech went to the MWC, as long as it isn’t at our expense. Personally, I don’t have an issue with them at all, but I just think that they should be with eastern teams. Especially if they’re going to be the most eastern team by themselves.

Stay with CUSA, hope for AAC if I am them.

I wouldn’t mind if LaTech went to the MWC, as long as it isn’t at our expense. Personally, I don’t have an issue with them at all, but I just think that they should be with eastern teams. Especially if they’re going to be the most eastern team by themselves.

Makes sense

Reactions: KaneFan29

They would be a good travel partner for SHSU if Texas State decides to stay in the SBC. Ruston is only 250 miles from Huntsville. Kinda makes sense.

Utep and NMSU should start it's own conference. Start like a 8 team conference. These conferences are getting to big.
This would be my conference idea.

The leftover conference

UTEP
NMSU
Southern Utah
Utah Tech
GCU Basketball only

Tarleton State
Incarnate Word
Texas A &M Corpus Christi
LA Tech

Get TV deal with YouTube TV

They would be a good travel partner for SHSU if Texas State decides to stay in the SBC. Ruston is only 250 miles from Huntsville. Kinda makes sense.
Yeah, they’re perfect for that area. I haven’t seen them mentioned at all for MWC expansion. I would be surprised if they’re brought in. I would rather see LaTech than Sacramento St, UC Davis, Cal Poly etc.

Utep and NMSU should start it's own conference. Start like a 8 team conference. These conferences are getting to big.
This would be my conference idea.

The leftover conference

UTEP
NMSU
Southern Utah
Utah Tech
GCU Basketball only

Tarleton State
Incarnate Word
Texas A &M Corpus Christi
LA Tech

Get TV deal with YouTube TV
Love it. The YMCA Conference. The Y could sponsor.

Reactions: MINER.JAY
F La Tech, their stadium is a dump, and their fans could careless about UTEP.

Howdy Miners. Anyone brought up GCU yet? I’m a UNLV alumni living in Arizona and the GCU fans here are rabid in basketball. Maybe a basketball only admittance, and a football only admittance from you guys or something if other plans fail?

• Haha
Reactions: T-6 Miner
Howdy Miners. Anyone brought up GCU yet? I’m a UNLV alumni living in Arizona and the GCU fans here are rabid in basketball. Maybe a basketball only admittance, and a football only admittance from you guys or something if other plans fail?
Why would UTEP join as football only? CUSA wouldn’t allow us to keep non-football sports there. I think GCU would be an excellent addition to the MWC. Not confident it happens though

I don't think UNLV stays in the MW. As for UTEP, it will be all or nothing. Partial admittance doesnt make sense because we do not have alot of Male Sports to begin with and the cost of funding travel in women's sports wouldn't be a cost effective plan.

Reactions: KaneFan29
I don't think UNLV stays in the MW. As for UTEP, it will be all or nothing. Partial admittance doesnt make sense because we do not have alot of Male Sports to begin with and the cost of funding travel in women's sports wouldn't be a cost effective plan.
Figured you guys had all the oly sports

Yeah, they even have a natty or two. I’m sure what has happened to them is what has gradually happened to G5 teams in general…starting even before they were labeled G5.
They haven’t made the NCAAs since 2011 and have kept their coach for 8 seasons, despite no NCAAs. They have settled for mediocrity and probably have fans talking about the “good ol days”. Sound familiar?

They haven’t made the NCAAs since 2011 and have kept their coach for 8 seasons, despite no NCAAs. They have settled for mediocrity and probably have fans talking about the “good ol days”. Sound familiar?

Didn't LSU steal their coach?

Interesting Article on the latest in the MW and PAC moves. UNLV has alot of debt in their athletic program and hasn't been approached by the PAC12. Board of Regents may not be happy giving up 18 million to a program losing that much already.

Mentions UTEP and Texas State being vetted by the Mountain West.

Reactions: T-6 Miner
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT