New MWC Possibility:

Would this be better for UTEP?

• Yes

Votes: 28 90.3%
  • No

Votes: 3 9.7%

• Total voters
Don’t know much about your athletic budget etc

But why the heck are people placing fcs Montana/Montana state and North/South Dakota state above FBS UTEP?? This makes no sense to me….the money these schools would need to make the jump…..stupid
It’s not that far-fetched because of the money the MWC will receive. It’s just a matter if those schools want to compete for a national title and win 8 games every year or fight for 6-6 and crappy bowls.

Don't underestimate Wilson, she has a lot of pull... Not sure UTEP will get into the Pac, but the MWC they are a shoe-in. UTEP will finally leave CUSA.

But why the heck are people placing fcs Montana/Montana state and North/South Dakota state above FBS UTEP?? This makes no sense to me….the money these schools would need to make the jump…..stupid
Both very valid points. However, Wilson has aerospace and other R&D pull since she was Air Force top brass. Don't get me wrong, that is a major big deal and I'm glad she is here but I guess we will see? Now in the old PAC10/12 days, you had to be Tier 1, major research (which UTEP has achieved and getting better), at the very least to be a candidate.

Reactions: MINER.JAY
This all depends on our President, UTEP investors, Boosters, and then lastly a plan put in to action by our AD. Senter is not the main or only one responsible for this. In fact he’s probably the least responsible. He will ultimately do what he’s told by Dr. Wilson. This is a UTEP as a whole opportunity. UTEP has to commit to be better if they don’t want to be continuously left behind! So many conference opponents since the old Border Conference have moved on to Bigger and Better things. The oh we’re in El Paso thing is tired and played out. Make your pitch to Shark Tank and if you get shot down, oh well keep trying!!!
UTEP's athletic budget is significantly below even the least funded schools left in the MWC. So, yes, a move would take a major refocused commitment by UTEP, etc.

If true, Senter better be burning up the MWC phone line like a stalker. That might end up being the death knell for CUSA, whether the AAC backfills with CUSA or backfills with the Sun Belt, who backfills with CUSA.
Senter does not make that call, The President does.

Reactions: shyminer81
That’s not real.

Athletic is spelled wrong
abigail-zealey-terror-D3XT4D.jpg

Reactions: KaneFan29
With who exactly?
She was top Air Force brass. Attracting aerospace R&D to UTEP and other research entities. She has been a boon for UTEP as far as that is concerned. With that comes knowing and being a respected academic with public and private sectors and you're kidding yourself if that doesn't trickle down to athletics. Only problem is UTEP football is well, UTEP football and FBS is a cartel.

She was top Air Force brass. Attracting aerospace R&D to UTEP and other research entities. She has been a boon for UTEP as far as that is concerned. With that comes knowing and being a respected academic with public and private sectors and you're kidding yourself if that doesn't trickle down to athletics. Only problem is UTEP football is well, UTEP football and FBS is a cartel.
UTSA, Appalachian St, and Liberty haven’t had issues navigating this “cartel”. UTEP had a 60 year head start on them too.

First and foremost, she has to care about athletics. I have yet to see anything she's done move the athletic programs forward.

It annoys me to no end to see UTSA get mentioned.......other than a couple winning seasons in FB, their attractiveness is based on them being in San Antonio. No on campus stadium, my old high school has a better BBall gym than them, etc.

Yeah, I'm being a hater, but f*** those guys.

It annoys me to no end to see UTSA get mentioned.......other than a couple winning seasons in FB, their attractiveness is based on them being in San Antonio. No on campus stadium, my old high school has a better BBall gym than them, etc.

Yeah, I'm being a hater, but f*** those guys.

I think Texas State will have more success than UTSA. They have the fan support. Texas Tech and TCU should be worried of Texas State.

Whatever happens, I hope UTEP does NOT agree to an 18 million dollar exit fee if they join the MWC. Especially if UTEP has to join under the condition that it receives a smaller share of revenue.
It would likely be much less than $18M based on the makeup of the new league, and the new tv deal. It is ironic that Nevarez fought for that high amount to avoid poaching, and in the end, it happened any way.

Also, if UTEP did make the move to MWC, because of the CUSA Grant of Rights agreement signed in 2023, I believe the exit fee would be around $3.2M. Of course, that amount would probably be negotiating on, but that is a significant amount for a school like UTEP.

It's mostly FCS people that are making these claims. There are other MWC fans saying that but I agree that it makes no sense.

It would likely be much less than $18M based on the makeup of the new league, and the new tv deal. It is ironic that Nevarez fought for that high amount to avoid poaching, and in the end, it happened any way.

Also, if UTEP did make the move to MWC, because of the CUSA Grant of Rights agreement signed in 2023, I believe the exit fee would be around $3.2M. Of course, that amount would probably be negotiating on, but that is a significant amount for a school like UTEP.
I would think those poaching fees were in there for this case. If “she” doesn’t put in the poaching fees, they still get poached, but without the financial windfall.

Boise and the others want to ditch the MWC bottom feeders and would leave anyway.

I would think those poaching fees were in there for this case. If “she” doesn’t put in the poaching fees, they still get poached, but without the financial windfall.

Boise and the others want to ditch the MWC bottom feeders and would leave anyway.
For sure. Solid move by Nevarez in retrospect for the MWC. Very nice windfall for the conference. Also, I'm thinking I have the exit fees amounts backwards as well. I think they increase with a shorter notice to the conference. So in theory, UTEP's CUSA exit fees would be around $800k, since they would be providing a 4 year notice of leaving. Still getting way ahead of ourselves of course.

Natty, you haven't been paying attention. This is Fili's cry every time realignment happens.

Let me explain this to you guys. Grab a coffee or latte whatever you prefer..☕☕☕☕

The Sun Bowl I believe will leave the Pac12 for a better conference. A MountainWest/PAC 12 is not good enough and it's pretty much crappy teams . They will probably try for the Big 12 or Big 10?? Better teams .

PAC 12 inviting Utep might help and convince the Sun Bowl committee not to leave. Do you think the Rose Bowl will still have PAC 12 vs Big Ten?? No way. No matter what people think about the Sun Bowl game. The PAC 12 can't lose it, the same with the Alamo Bowl. The PAC 12 needs to save has many bowl games as they can. If all it's need to do to invite Utep do it doesn't lose the Sun Bowl, they will do it.

Do you guys understand now??

Let me explain this to you guys. Grab a coffee or latte whatever you prefer..☕☕☕☕

The Sun Bowl I believe will leave the Pac12 for a better conference. A MountainWest/PAC 12 is not good enough and it's pretty much crappy teams . They will probably try for the Big 12 or Big 10?? Better teams .

PAC 12 inviting Utep might help and convince the Sun Bowl committee not to leave. Do you think the Rose Bowl will still have PAC 12 vs Big Ten?? No way. No matter what people think about the Sun Bowl game. The PAC 12 can't lose it, the same with the Alamo Bowl. The PAC 12 needs to save has many bowl games as they can. If all it's need to do to invite Utep do it doesn't lose the Sun Bowl, they will do it.

Do you guys understand now??

In an era when we have a 12 team playoff, every winning team goes to a bowl, and players opt out of bowl games.........do you really think the Bowls have any say in Conference Realignment?

We are getting to a point in which, The Bowls need the teams more than the teams need the Bowls.

In an era when we have a 12 team playoff, every winning team goes to a bowl, and players opt out of bowl games.........do you really think the Bowls have any say in Conference Realignment?

We are getting to a point in which, The Bowls need the teams more than the teams need the Bowls.

Well until Bowls are no more, I think Bowl games are still important. Norte Dame still came to the Sun Bowl last year. Even though the good players skipped it, the good thing about college football is the Schools are more popular than the players.

Well until Bowls are no more, I think Bowl games are still important. Norte Dame still came to the Sun Bowl last year. Even though the good players skipped it, the good thing about college football is the Schools are more popular than the players.
Not to Deaver. Christ Almighty the guy was going bro love crazy on his twitter/X when Sam Hartman walked on to the field.

Is there any hard evidence that the PAC 12 uttered the acronym "UTEP" in any official capacity?
I mean, honestly, what do you think? Why would they want UTEP? Engineering degrees and being a portal to Mexican students doesn’t matter to ESPN and Fox. Or Boise, or Oregon St.

• Sad
Reactions: FarWestTexas
First and foremost, she has to care about athletics. I have yet to see anything she's done move the athletic programs forward.
You have to be kidding,

It will be less, if UTEP moves in 2026, in fact it may end up very minimal. The GOR is not a big deal in CUSA. The travel cost alone, would eat up some of the cost...

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Whoa! I did not know UNLV has very big debt? Second, the P12 has not even reached out to UNLV as of two days ago.

"* As of early this week, the Pac-12 had not reached out to UNLV about potentially joining the conference, so perhaps the Rebels aren't as attractive as they appear on paper given their big media market, good budget and facilities and improving football team. One potential issue for UNLV is the fact it has a $20.6 million athletics debt, which surely doesn't make the Regents happy. Asking those same Regents to OK a move to the Pac-12 that will incur an $18 million exit fee might be a tough sell, although nobody knows how much of these exit fees the Pac-12 will pay for for departing MW schools."

https://nevadasportsnet.com/newslet...-the-mountain-west-and-conference-realignment

I think Texas State will have more success than UTSA. They have the fan support. Texas Tech and TCU should be worried of Texas State.
Just adding that the movie studios being built near the San Marcos area is going to have a huge impact for the area, the I35 corridor, and Texas State.

Their DII nattys from the 80s still brings a huge sense of pride for their fans, and with their recent success - they are coming out of the woodwork!

The Bowls are not affiliated with the Universities that call them home!!! This has been told to you many times lol

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT