ADVERTISEMENT

NMSU vs UTEP

utep2step

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 10, 2001
Wow! Crickets for this first conference rivalry game since 1961 (Borderland Conference); however, understandable. NMSU is in total rebuild mode and NMSU needs to rebuild trust & Golding has lost 3 on the road and got his shorts handed to him against a middle of the pack WAC team.

This is in LC and expect NMSU coming out firing early. Golding will hit back with his entire bench to tire out the Aggies, but UTEP’s lousy shooting will show up again.

UTEP 66
NMSU 67 (OT)

The funny thing is give us NMSU’s schedule and we’re probably 2-9 too. They’ve played 5 games vs q1-q2 teams and only 4 vs q4. We’ve played 1 game vs q1-q2 teams and 7 vs q4 teams. That’s why despite their ugly record we have very similar NET rankings. This is toss up game. Welcome to Senter Athletics.

The funny thing is give us NMSU’s schedule and we’re probably 2-9 too. They’ve played 5 games vs q1-q2 teams and only 4 vs q4. We’ve played 1 game vs q1-q2 teams and 7 vs q4 teams. That’s why despite their ugly record we have very similar NET rankings. This is toss up game. Welcome to Senter Athletics.
NMSU has played 6 true road games and another 3 neutral site games. Miners have played 3 road games and 2 neutral site games. So, you’re probably right.

NMSU has played 6 true road games and another 3 neutral site games. Miners have played 3 road games and 2 neutral site games. So, you’re probably right.
Based on net rankings, their worst loss is a 6 point game at Louisville. Our worst loss is at home to Texas A&M (CC). Idk but I think we’re in for another rude awakening soon.

Not sure which UTEP team will show up. This Miner team has been a total disappointment. It’s hard to tell which team is in total rebuild mode between the two. Like usual, nmsu players and their fans will be ready…not sure the Miners will be.

I really don't care what the records are, who's favored, or who has the best wins or worse losses. NMSU had to completely blow their team up last year due to the shooting and sexual assault scandals. They started from absolute scratch during the off-season. Golding is in year three. If he doesn't sweep the Aggies this year he needs to be run out of town on a rail. There is no excuse for losing to this Aggie team.

I really don't care what the records are, who's favored, or who has the best wins or worse losses. NMSU had to completely blow their team up last year due to the shooting and sexual assault scandals. They started from absolute scratch during the off-season. Golding is in year three. If he doesn't sweep the Aggies this year he needs to be run out of town on a rail. There is no excuse for losing to this Aggie team.
👆What he said👆

Not sure why I’m such a glutton for punishment, but I’ll be watching the Miners establish zero presence in the paint, missing uncontested 3s, turning the ball over 15-20 times, while putting up a whopping 56 points. Not to mention our Swiss cheese defense. Fvckn sounds fun!

So if UTEP can literally plant one guy in the center for the entire then NMSU won’t be able to do much of anything. The Aggies aren’t the best at scoring in the paint and Ezeagu tends to foul a lot. For some reason Odukale can’t score a layup to save his life but he aggressively drives to the basket. Force the Aggies into situations where they might foul and foul they will. Hooten has an aggressive defense but that tires out the players and causes them to commit a lot of fouls. NMSU lost a lot of close games due to tired legs and foul trouble. I wouldn’t be surprised if that was the game plan tonight.

Not sure why I’m such a glutton for punishment, but I’ll be watching the Miners establish zero presence in the paint, missing uncontested 3s, turning the ball over 15-20 times, while putting up a whopping 56 points. Not to mention our Swiss cheese defense. Fvckn sounds fun!
I will be doing the same thing Fanatico, likely wondering why I hate myself so much. A psychiatrist could write a book about us (apparently) self-loathing Miner fans.

One thing is for sure, there is ALOT more pressure on Golding to win this one than Hooten. We'll see how it goes I guess.
There is? Could have fooled me. Bronzeing will still be the coach tomorrow and people will still blame the Cowboys when they see the crowd for Sundays Chicago St game.

I will be doing the same thing Fanatico, likely wondering why I hate myself so much. A psychiatrist could write a book about us (apparently) self-loathing Miner fans.
My only consolation for blindly and stupidly following them season after hopeless season is that I have all of you suffering with me. Thank God I don't have CBS Sports to tempt me so tonight I'll be spared.

There is? Could have fooled me. Bronzeing will still be the coach tomorrow and people will still blame the Cowboys when they see the crowd for Sundays Chicago St game.
LOL. More pressure than there is on Hooten who has zero expectations this year, and rightfully so. You are correct that Golding will be the coach tomorrow, and likely next year, but losing against a rival still carries additional weight.

LOL. More pressure than there is on Hooten who has zero expectations this year, and rightfully so. You are correct that Golding will be the coach tomorrow, and likely next year, but losing against a rival still carries additional weight.
What would be worse: losing this one to a rebuild team or last years loss that was the largest margin of defeat to a first year NMSU head coach?

Reactions: TxRdKiller
What would be worse: losing this one to a rebuild team or last years loss that was the largest margin of defeat to a first year NMSU head coach?
Both are bad, but a loss this year would be worse, in my opinion. Golding brought back 4 starters, and is in his third year. It's a game Golding has to win, if the program is heading in the right direction.

I’m really hoping this turns out to be a good game that can catapult both teams to a good conference season. As a fan of both I hope we trade wins. Either team does have a good shot at winning. It all about coaching and execution though.

UTEP forcing fouls. Told y’all that would be the key to the game. Liking the energy so far from
Both teams.

Hooten is animated and Golding is just swatting. That’s not what I expect from
A winning coach.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT