ADVERTISEMENT

No Willms, no Wade, but...

topminer

All Star
Sep 5, 2003
the team looked 100% improved in what had once been a rivalry game. I kept waiting for the imminent collapse, but it did not transpire. As someone stated the team played quite well from beginning to end.

Washington State will be a real test...we will need our best shooting game along with some very tough defense to hang with their team this year. A win would certainly be an RPI changer, and an overall boost for a struggling program.

Reactions: unihorn
RPI changer? Do you know how it works. UTEP has a long way to go. Winning home games doesn't really help you much and their RPI is irrelevant at this point.

UTEPs goal should be to win the CUSA regular season and/or Conference tourney. They have ZERO shot at any at-large berth this season.

Please educate me, Sh..man16...

My point was that Washington State's RPI currently stands at 36, so a win will help us move up from bottom feeder status. There was never a claim of us winning the conference, conference tourney, or NCAA tournament in my post. Those are your jackass claims.

If anyone is a realist on this board, it is certainly me. I just refrain from posting utter nonsense all of the time like you do.

I am simply stating that it will be a long climb to even reach "decent" status, one game at a time.

At this point it is irrelevant if we beat Washington State or Eastern Washington. RPI means diddly squat since an at large bid was lost.

Wrong, at this point, all we can expect is constant improvement. No one is claiming that we are going to "win" anything.

What is the option, sitting around pissing and moaning all of the time?

I have been posting off and on since 2003.

I have not had to resort to posting garbage under innumerable new handles (after being banned from this board)...

There are garbage postings that I avoid reading on this board, and they usually come from you and Shitman66. But since you chose to derail another thread...

A win would do wonders for the teams and fans morale. RPI is meaningless. In C-USA your RPI means didly squat. Only one team is ever going to get in. The P-5 schools have corrupted the NCAA, they just throw bones and scrapes to all others, hoping that will keep the money rolling.

GO MINERS

A win would do wonders for the teams and fans morale. RPI is meaningless. In C-USA your RPI means didly squat. Only one team is ever going to get in. The P-5 schools have corrupted the NCAA, they just throw bones and scrapes to all others, hoping that will keep the money rolling.

GO MINERS

But even an improved RPI, at this stage, helps change the image of being a bottom feeder. And, yes, that is related to everyone's morale, as you claim. IMHO, at this stage the team's morale is more important than the fan's morale.

Fair weather "fans" will return, to a certain extent, if the team is winning on a consistent basis. For now, it is more important that the team start winning on a consistent basis.

Back to my original point, the team played well without Willms and Wade...it would be nice to see everyone show up in the future (including a healthy Willms and talent-laden Wade).

I see your point topminer. And I'll add to it. RPI is hardly meaningless, even for CUSA teams. Moving forward, we probably won't get into the tourney all that often, if ever, because of our RPI, however, we want that thing as high as possible for seeding purposes in case we do happen to win a CUSA tourney championship. Much better to sit at 80 than 180 obviously.

The committee is going to saddle the C-USA with a 12 or 13 seed unless we have a one or two loss team. 80, 180, 210 really won’t matter.

Reactions: El Paso 777
The committee is going to saddle the C-USA with a 12 or 13 seed unless we have a one or two loss team. 80, 180, 210 really won’t matter.

I have to still disagree with you. It matters. It may not sound like it but there is a huge difference between 12 and 13 and much more so between 12-14 seeds. Give me the 5-12 matchup any day. More brackets are busted there than any other.

You said it would be a RPI changer and as pointed out, its absolutely meaningless to the 17-18 UTEP basketball team. If you want to talk about morale and other things, I have no issue with that, but a "RPI changer" is stupid because at-large contenders don't lose to Lamar at home.

Beating Washington St, would be an excellent win, but that's it. Talking RPI is nonsense.

Reactions: El Paso 777
This post went way off base as they usually do. Does anyone actually know what's up with Was or not?

I think we all agree 100% that UTEP's RPI is now nullified for an at large bid. As Fanti says, moving up for the rest of the year is important just in case we win the CUSA tourney. We want to be a 12/13 seed as oppossed to a 15/16/play in.

C-USA has 4 teams in the top 65 for now: MTSU (8), La Tech (16), WKU (34) and ODU (65). They will slide down further come conference time but we play 3 of those teams on the road. There are still some good chances to move up.

UTEP took a huge jump (about 68 spots) to 235 after beating UNM.

Wash St is around 50 in the RPI so UTEP would take another big leap if they win.

Also, if UTEP beats Wash St. then IMO they could go on a nice winning streak before leaving the Don. Their record could be 9-6 and 2-0 in CUSA.

Yes I know we could lose but just trying to stay positive now that Floyd is gone..

I think we all agree 100% that UTEP's RPI is now nullified for an at large bid. As Fanti says, moving up for the rest of the year is important just in case we win the CUSA tourney. We want to be a 12/13 seed as oppossed to a 15/16/play in.

C-USA has 4 teams in the top 65 for now: MTSU (8), La Tech (16), WKU (34) and ODU (65). They will slide down further come conference time but we play 3 of those teams on the road. There are still some good chances to move up.

UTEP took a huge jump (about 68 spots) to 235 after beating UNM.

Wash St is around 50 in the RPI so UTEP would take another big leap if they win.

Also, if UTEP beats Wash St. then IMO they could go on a nice winning streak before leaving the Don. Their record could be 9-6 and 2-0 in CUSA.

Yes I know we could lose but just trying to stay positive now that Floyd is gone..

Wash State is totally beatable. Within the absolute realm of realistic chances of beating them. Not a doubt in my mind that UTEP will win if

A) shoot at or better than 35% from the floor. And only if...
B) Solid perimeter defense. UTEP can afford to come out against the cougars. However, if they don't and do the same like Lamar and NMSU, they will lose. Coug's can make the 3's.
C)Omega has now shown up. He will need to do it again. He doesn't have to score 28 obviously.
D)Thomas HAS to be in the game. UTEP needs more than 10 points from him like he did against UNM. He HAS to stay out of foul trouble.
E)This is against a former PAC 12 school for Johnson. People are not aware of this but interim coach Phil Johnson is a hot head. He has gotten himself into trouble (at UTEP mind you) in his past for not keeping his cool. If he wants this job, keep cool and beat this team. It will do wonders.

RPI changer? Do you know how it works. UTEP has a long way to go. Winning home games doesn't really help you much and their RPI is irrelevant at this point.

UTEPs goal should be to win the CUSA regular season and/or Conference tourney. They have ZERO shot at any at-large berth this season.

you are full of crap. can you comprende....

Go Miners...

Willms due to be back Dec 19th. No word on Wade yet.

Wash St RPI is 58
UTEP RPI 261, SOS 87

Vegas has Wazu at -1.5, but ESPN predictor gives UTEP a 78% chance to win.

It gives US a 78% chance to win?! Based on what? Our win over UNM? And I guess WSU's losses to UC Davis and Idaho.

This, the same team who beat St Joes, St Mary's and SDSU before going on that two game skid.

Wonder which WSU team we'll get.

It gives US a 78% chance to win?! Based on what? Our win over UNM? And I guess WSU's losses to UC Davis and Idaho.

This, the same team who beat St Joes, St Mary's and SDSU before going on that two game skid.

The ESPN predictor seems heavily skewed to the home team, but WSU has also slumped coming in.

Does anybody know if WSU has a strong inside presence? If they do, that will be the difference, imo. If not, then this one could go our way.

I know which one I hope we get.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Does anybody know if WSU has a strong inside presence? If they do, that will be the difference, imo. If not, then this one could go our way.

“...the Cougars are all about speeding the game up. They get their own open looks by playing stiff defense on one end, grabbing the rebound and jetting downcourt to set up an uncontested shot.”

“...have to find an answer for Robert Franks, WSU’s 6-foot-7 stretch forward who shoots 50 percent from 3-point land and had the best scoring game of his career on Saturday in a loss to UC Davis, finishing 5 of 9 from beyond the arc for 32 points.”

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/dec/05/washington-state-idaho-bring-contrasting-styles-an/

“...the Cougars are all about speeding the game up. They get their own open looks by playing stiff defense on one end, grabbing the rebound and jetting downcourt to set up an uncontested shot.”

“...have to find an answer for Robert Franks, WSU’s 6-foot-7 stretch forward who shoots 50 percent from 3-point land and had the best scoring game of his career on Saturday in a loss to UC Davis, finishing 5 of 9 from beyond the arc for 32 points.”

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/dec/05/washington-state-idaho-bring-contrasting-styles-an/

Thanks. If he's their "big", I feel better about this game. Hopefully PT can tighten up on D and hang with him.

Something is going on. Teicher is hush hush. I expect Wade to be gone after finals. He was not even into the game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT