ADVERTISEMENT

ODU Game Thread

That 11k attendance, kudos to them, they made their presence known. If they can beat USM, UTEP needs to market the hell out of the next home game in 2 weeks.

Reactions: Rot
That 11k attendance, kudos to them, they made their presence known. If they can beat USM, UTEP needs to market the hell out of the next home game in 2 weeks.
Nope. Keeping prices high to see a boring, predictable offense is a tried and true method for maximizing profit!

I think Dimel learned something by accident. Bring in Brownholtz to run the ball occasionally. Without him, we lose this game.

I think he was losing faith in Hardison. I believe Hardison started 9 of 11 and finished 10 of 20. He missed, I think, 8 straight.

Last week ODU trailed Buffalo 35-7 at the half. They ended up losing 35-34. Similar game tonight but our guys hung on.

Can't say much for their style, but this team does have grit and in years past the blocked punt would have been the end of us. Not this year so far we look like a team that can overcome adversity and not collapse under pressure.
How good would this team be with some discipline and creativity on offense?

Our QB hurt his left hand or arm. This is why Brownholtz came in the game. As well as he ran though, Dimel still refused to put the ball in his hands when we needed 1st downs the last 2 drives.

Hardison still has a 55% completion rate despite some drops and literally no throws less than 10 yards/check downs/outs/TE throws etc...

Cowing is averaging about 120 yards per game. Garrett made some clutch catches.

Our stable of running backs can't seem to stay healthy. The only stable guy is Flores.

Our 2 linebackers are quietly having really good seasons. All the attention goes to Praise, but when was the last time our linebackers led the team in tackles (like they are supposed too)?

Inyang fumbled a fumble and had two big costly penalties. I thought Dimel gave him a chance by letting him come back. Well he needs to act and play like it or get benched. And don't tell me about his interception. That was a gimme.

Barnes and Baechle had really good games. So did Praise (aside from his bone head penalty).

Reactions: MinerManiac
I have disagreed with a lot of Dimel's in-game strategies and I still do but I give him credit on the season thus far. We are 4-1 and beating teams that we are supposed to be beating. We have been losing to teams that we should beat for a long time and it's nice to see the guys do what they are supposed to be doing for once. Keep it going Miners!

I have disagreed with a lot of Dimel's in-game strategies and I still do but I give him credit on the season thus far. We are 4-1 and beating teams that we are supposed to be beating. We have been losing to teams that we should beat for a long time and it's nice to see the guys do what they are supposed to be doing for once. Keep it going Miners!
Well stated.

And to think these games wouldn’t be a close if we didn’t get all these silly penalties!

I keep hearing a lot about our offense. It's working. We're 4-1. The top two offenses in the conference are 1-3 and 2-3. I'll take what we have.

Reactions: MinerInWisconsin
Credit to the team they're 4-1. Last night they overcame some adversity and won. It's become clear 5 games into the season that Awatt is head and shoulders better than any of the other running backs. He's banged up and with him a very limited role the running game struggled. I agree with ShyMiner inserting Brownholtz was the difference maker. He jump started the running game. It also lit a fire under Hardison. The two point throw was the best throw of his UTEP career. I don't like two qb offenses but Brownholtz brings something completely different from Hardison. With Brownholtz you can an up temppo read option offense and throw in some RPO's. His game is not taking five or seven steps drops . I dont think they need to split series, but Brownholtz taking one drive a half can certainly jump start the offense and put the defense on it heels.

The defense is getting better by the week. The blitz schemes look much better. The tackling is good. The secondary is improving every week. I think they only has 2 PI's yesterday and no defensive holdings. We are starting to get a consistent pass rush from our front four.

The special teams is still worrisome. No returns and gave up a punt block for a touchdown. Almost gave up a late punt block. There needs to be significant schematic improvement on special teams. That's going to cost us a game if that doesn't get fixed.

The offense is a tight end away from being really good. That's maddening because we haven't had a d1 level tight end in almost a decade. Plinke is the last serviceable tightend we had.

So far we've beat the teams we're supposed to beat. That's certainly a vast improvement over the last four years. Now can we go on the road and beat a bad team for our first true road win of the season? It will be interesting to see if Awatts healthy. He's the key to the running game. I'm also very curious to know why we haven't seen Wllie Eldridge. I think he has the highest ceiling of the running backs. I was shocked he didn't get carries last night.

In town and had the chance to see the Miners in person for the first time a several years...some observations:
pathetic crowd - namely students...where were they? Mainly alums/true fans on the west side...Got into it.
Play calling: hand off to 33 middle right, 33 middle left, ok that's not working...look for 6 long. That was the game plan. Hint when the FB shifted to block, the run followed and so did 2 defenders...sneaky, No..
Penalty of the year: could have been the bonehead unsporstmanlike conduct just before half...key play moving the ball downfield...allowing ODU to eventually score and get back in the game. Had the Miners lost...oh well, it didn't happen but dang that was a big one.
Obligatory goof up on special teams: another TD handed over to the other guys
Bottom line: this team could have folded....they hung in there and pulled out the expected W.

Reactions: axingfools1
I keep hearing a lot about our offense. It's working. We're 4-1. The top two offenses in the conference are 1-3 and 2-3. I'll take what we have.
We have the least amount of touchdowns in the conference (UTSA has scored 30 TDs to our 14). Its our defense that is playing much better and a weak schedule (outside of Boise). Im glad UTEP is 4-1, but our offensive will bite us later.

The
We have the least amount of touchdowns in the conference (UTSA has scored 30 TDs to our 14). Its our defense that is playing much better and a weak schedule (outside of Boise). Im glad UTEP is 4-1, but our offensive will bite us later.
They're only averaging 9 points more than us. The difference is they beat up their FCS team and we didn't. What's really going to bite us is our special teams. Have no idea why Price is in charge of that unit.

We will take it. 4-1.
Credit to the team they're 4-1. Last night they overcame some adversity and won. It's become clear 5 games into the season that Awatt is head and shoulders better than any of the other running backs. He's banged up and with him a very limited role the running game struggled. I agree with ShyMiner inserting Brownholtz was the difference maker. He jump started the running game. It also lit a fire under Hardison. The two point throw was the best throw of his UTEP career. I don't like two qb offenses but Brownholtz brings something completely different from Hardison. With Brownholtz you can an up temppo read option offense and throw in some RPO's. His game is not taking five or seven steps drops . I dont think they need to split series, but Brownholtz taking one drive a half can certainly jump start the offense and put the defense on it heels.

The defense is getting better by the week. The blitz schemes look much better. The tackling is good. The secondary is improving every week. I think they only has 2 PI's yesterday and no defensive holdings. We are starting to get a consistent pass rush from our front four.

The special teams is still worrisome. No returns and gave up a punt block for a touchdown. Almost gave up a late punt block. There needs to be significant schematic improvement on special teams. That's going to cost us a game if that doesn't get fixed.

The offense is a tight end away from being really good. That's maddening because we haven't had a d1 level tight end in almost a decade. Plinke is the last serviceable tightend we had.

So far we've beat the teams we're supposed to beat. That's certainly a vast improvement over the last four years. Now can we go on the road and beat a bad team for our first true road win of the season? It will be interesting to see if Awatts healthy. He's the key to the running game. I'm also very curious to know why we haven't seen Wllie Eldridge. I think he has the highest ceiling of the running backs. I was shocked he didn't get carries last night.
Agree on Awatt. Hankins is really more a full back; which is valuable in this offense, but makes us even less dynamic. I think Wadley would be a good option, but he can't stay healthy. On Eldridge, the issue with him playing more is in pass protection, where he hasn't been good. Not having a running QB in this offense makes it much easier to defend. Like you mentioned, inserting Brownholtz was the difference in the second half, and should be used to try to jumpstart the running game at times. Honestly, I wouldn't mind having Brownholtz cross the defense up with some high percentage passes. Too bad there is no TE involvement in the offense.

The special teams is still worrisome. No returns and gave up a punt block for a touchdown. Almost gave up a late punt block.
To be fair, ODU seems to be particularly good at punt blocks. That was their third punt block already of the season.

In town and had the chance to see the Miners in person for the first time a several years...some observations:
pathetic crowd - namely students...where were they? Mainly alums/true fans on the west side...Got into it.
Play calling: hand off to 33 middle right, 33 middle left, ok that's not working...look for 6 long. That was the game plan. Hint when the FB shifted to block, the run followed and so did 2 defenders...sneaky, No..
Penalty of the year: could have been the bonehead unsporstmanlike conduct just before half...key play moving the ball downfield...allowing ODU to eventually score and get back in the game. Had the Miners lost...oh well, it didn't happen but dang that was a big one.
Obligatory goof up on special teams: another TD handed over to the other guys
Bottom line: this team could have folded....they hung in there and pulled out the expected W.
1st off you have to establish some type of run game and Hankins/Awatt are the guys to do it. It opened the pass as Cowing has been torching opponent secondaries.

The pathetic crowds are the direct result of Kugler/Dimel poor win loss records. You want to see a sold out crowd? Next week's "Monster Truck Show" will be in town next weekend. Until then, 1ts 15k for a while. Dimel's RPO/Pistol offense is clicking but not good enough to win CUSA and he's as exciting a personality than a ten cent cup of coffee but we're here so add your own sugar.....lots of it.

It's obvious this is not this teams makeup. More discipline might mean toning down the aggressiveness on defense and causing unwanted turnovers on offense. To me this team is methodical, this is how the players play and how they are coached and this is where they are comfortable. We may not have enough talent or the kind of talent to be "creative" on offense. Don't like the late hits and roughing the passer calls either but those for the most part are not frustration fouls they occur when we are playing all out. On offense I would like to see more creativity, but if you can win with staying vanilla and wearing down the other team so be it, it's not fan friendly or exciting but as long as it's effective I'm happy.

There's so much to unpack from this photo. First off the face of the cheerleader on the right.

It's obvious this is not this teams makeup. More discipline might mean toning down the aggressiveness on defense and causing unwanted turnovers on offense. To me this team is methodical, this is how the players play and how they are coached and this is where they are comfortable. We may not have enough talent or the kind of talent to be "creative" on offense. Don't like the late hits and roughing the passer calls either but those for the most part are not frustration fouls they occur when we are playing all out. On offense I would like to see more creativity, but if you can win with staying vanilla and wearing down the other team so be it, it's not fan friendly or exciting but as long as it's effective I'm happy.
It won't be effective against better teams. I am unwilling to settle for 4-1 against crappy teams, but to each his own. I just don't think we go up from here and I'm afraid Senter and Wilson will agree with you and extend Dimel.

Aggressive play that leads to fouls is one thing, but dumb fouls like talking shit and hitting helmets when plays are over are another. The latter are unacceptable for ANY team in my book.

Kappy600

"The only certainty about the Mountain West’s future membership is it will not include UTEP. The Miners, members of Conference USA, have longed to be in the MW for geographic reasons, but the Miners “have no chance” at the MWC, a source said."

That UTEP did not do enough to upgrade ALL their athletic facilities over the last 20 years did them no favors.

Reactions: minerfan_14
It won't be effective against better teams. I am unwilling to settle for 4-1 against crappy teams, but to each his own. I just don't think we go up from here and I'm afraid Senter and Wilson will agree with you and extend Dimel.

Aggressive play that leads to fouls is one thing, but dumb fouls like talking shit and hitting helmets when plays are over are another. The latter are unacceptable for ANY team in my book.
We only have 2 maybe 3 good teams left on the schedule. If at the end of the season we're 7-5 or better and thorned king of the crappy teams, I'll be good with that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT